Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 10-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
alexeicrow
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Yellow paint - painter please help

HI All,

I am currently painting a wolverine statue. I am using my airbrush and Vallejo airbrush paints. I am finding these paints to be very good as they do not clog the airbrush and the colours are very nice.

The problem i am currently having is with yellow. When i srapy yellow it is not covering up. When i apply the paint heavy so to actually cover up the paint tends to run which is not good. I found doing multiple passes once each coat has dried to work but still its not that effective.

I was thinking if anyone every paints a base (white or whatever) before applying certain colours so to get a better coverage kind like a fondo.

The problem is worst as i used a grey primer instead of white so it is even harder to get the yellow to cover up. From now on i will only stick to white primer as i think this will help a lot.

So, does anyone use the fondo technique?

Alexeicrow
alexeicrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
Jesse321
Galactus

Yellow is one of the more difficult colors to use ... with any paint, you have to do multiple layers and build up the color, don't try to do it all in one shot ... better 4 or 5 lighter coats than 1 globby one that's run.
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
skorpsta
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321 View Post
Yellow is one of the more difficult colors to use ... with any paint, you have to do multiple layers and build up the color, don't try to do it all in one shot ... better 4 or 5 lighter coats than 1 globby one that's run.
this is so true....i find also...that
red
white
gold
silver
...and of course yellow...all need multiple light coats..weather you are air brushing or hand brushing
skorpsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Plenty of ways to get a yellow to pop without spraying endless coats, you are making more work for yourselves then needed.

Example1: Wolverine statue in his blue yellow, you can paint his skin tones first and while you are at that point paint the whole statue in skin tone. Then mask off the skin and paint all his yellow areas. Skin tone as a base will help keep the yellow without spraying coat after coat.

Example2: Small areas on a statue that need yellow. Mask off the area thats gonna be painted yellow and spray that area white, then put your yellow over it. White will always be opaque enough to give a base coat over a dark color then yellow will come out bright. You can also make a white yellow mix just to cover the area then use the main yellow you wanted to use. If you overspray the white. you may end up with white trim around the areas of masking, but that can be touched up.

Example3: (this is what i do) i use Tamiya chrome silver as a base to get my yellows to stick over a solid black.

Take Captain marvel with his yellow star, When i paint the blue and red, the star ends up being mix of both and yellow will not cover those colors well at all. Specially the blue, it will turn green. So when i mask out the star i spray a layer of Tamyia chrome silver (or tamiya titanium gold) cause it covers anything in one coat and all colors stick to it fine with one or two coats and pop. This is how i work all my yellows, wether they be flat or pearlized/metallic.

I tend to use tamiya chrome silver on everything, even if its not a item thats being metallic painted. This paint seems to stick to anything, covers in one spray and any color over it sticks to it damn well. If you were to take paint layers off a lot of my paint ups, you would see a lot of tamiya chrome silver on them.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:44 AM   #5
skorpsta
Ghost

thanks john!!
skorpsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
alexeicrow
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Thanks for the tips. Very useful info
alexeicrow is offline   Reply With Quote