Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 06-19-2006, 02:50 PM   #1
sketch515
Artist
ArtistProducer

help with assembling kits

hey guys i need some help here. i'm just getting into these resin kits and needed some help on how to assemble them properly. what kind of glue is the best to use and what kind of paint do you reccomend? also if there is anyone here that does assembling and painted i would be interested in just having one of you guys do it. so if anyone can help that would be great thanx
sketch515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:43 PM   #2
doubloshoe
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Do a search and youll get a ton of detailed info, so I wont go into it here. For glue use regular old super glue (cyo-somethingsomething is the technical term) and for paints use Model Masters water wash-up acrylics.
doubloshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 12:32 AM   #3
DDura711
Kindly Asked To Leave

Zap-A-Gap I hear is a good glue for filling in the gaps.
DDura711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 12:56 AM   #4
ickwinzs
The Rock
Adamantium Plus Member

I use devcon plastic welder after I pin the jiont with a 3/32 brass rod then fill the joint with apoxie sculpt
Old 06-21-2006, 06:27 PM   #5
Car50n
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winzs
I use devcon plastic welder after I pin the jiont with a 3/32 brass rod then fill the joint with apoxie sculpt
i do the same. dont forget to clean it up a bit. dont want dust to break up the bond.
Car50n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:22 AM   #6
Comicboy
Deadman

Forgive my stupidity here but what is the difference between Aves Sculpt and Aves Clay? Which do I use for repairs and which do I use for seams? I have both and I'm fixing a Ghost Rider bust, actually fixing a huge section of cape. I have most of it back together but there are some big holes. Plus I have a hairline crack (not all the way thru) in the rim of his hat. It starts at the base of the hat and goes out toward the edge. I'm pretty sure the primer will cover/fill that though, like I said it doesn't go all the way thru to the underside.
Comicboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:13 AM   #7
RickDTM
Master Painter
Painter

Not much difference really CB. IME, the Sculpt is easier to use in order to fill very small gaps (like your hairline crack). Simply melt it into the crack using the Safety Solvent. I like to use the Clay if I need to sculpt in detail right away. It seems a little firmer after it's mixed than the Sculpt does.

If the crack is not that big, you might try using a little superglue. Fill the crack, hit it w/ kicker, and you can start sanding immediately. Don't wait though...the glue will become harder than the surrounding resin and be difficult to sand. It will sand smooth as glass otherwise and you shouldn't have a problem at all.
RickDTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:36 AM   #8
Comicboy
Deadman

Thanks Rick. Is it always this tacky? Right after I mixed it, it's like pizza dough. This solvent is a life saver, smooths it out real nice.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:56 AM   #9
RickDTM
Master Painter
Painter

Oh yeah, it's ALWAYS that tacky initially. If you let it sit for about 30 min. or douse your hands in talcum powder it will cut down on the tacky-ness significantly. I usually don't wait, just keep my fingers wet.

Ya gotta LOVE that Safety Solvent. That stuff is awesome!
RickDTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:16 PM   #10
Comicboy
Deadman

Ok thanks I thought maybe it was me. Do rubber gloves help at all? Not that it really matters it's not like I'm licking my fingers or anything. I think I'll let it sit-up some first. That solvent damn near eliminates the need for sanding. It's such a beautiful thing. Thanks amigo!