Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 06-09-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
dagouch17
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

A Sketch/Commission guide to SDCC for a Newbie.

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to get some tips for SDCC for next year? I've talked to a lot expert collectors and solicited their advice. Just wanted to start a thread on where we could share any inside tips.

For me personally I've narrowed down my two biggest gets for commission requests and then hopefully finish my Spidey Head shot Jam during the rest of the days there. Really looking forward to the show!!

Mike

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=157
dagouch17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:35 PM   #2
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

I've been going to San Diego since '91 and I still get overwhelmed and forget any gameplan once I'm inside. In my opinion its one of the tougher shows to get on lots of commission lists.....unless your name is John H.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:42 PM   #3
dagouch17
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I would admit he's given me some great advice and even went as far as helped me with a Grail piece. MUCH later on that.
dagouch17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:29 AM   #4
Fat Head
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

I could use some tips myself. Especially when it comes to getting some of those really nice pieces from artists who usually just do quick sketches.......you know, like the ones John H. has.
Fat Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:06 AM   #5
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagouch17 View Post
I would admit he's given me some great advice and even went as far as helped me with a Grail piece. MUCH later on that.
You tease.

I'll just have to call John tomorrow and ask him......not that he'll tell me.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:07 AM   #6
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Head View Post
I could use some tips myself. Especially when it comes to getting some of those really nice pieces from artists who usually just do quick sketches.......you know, like the ones John H. has.
I always find that its best to contact artists in advance of a show if possible. There's nothing better than having a artist work on the piece in advance and bringing it to the show for you to pick up.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:10 AM   #7
Fat Head
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
I always find that its best to contact artists in advance of a show if possible. There's nothing better than having a artist work on the piece in advance and bringing it to the show for you to pick up.
I almost always do that. He's got really good pieces from almost EVERYONE though. O_o There's a bunch of artists who just don't take advance lists in any shape or form, and just tell you (well, me at least) to get to their table asap. :'(
Fat Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:15 AM   #8
Royd
Producer
Producer

Heh, first time I met John was SDCC '99 and he was wandering around with a large art folio containing 4 Drew Struzan pieces including an awesome Indiana Jones and a Star Wars piece. My eyes bugged out when I saw the Struzans!

My eyes bugged out again later in the evening at drinks when Jim Reid brought out a folio of his latest acquisitions including an awesome Frazetta piece *sigh* I just looked on in awe.

As for tips, I don't have anything original to add other than (if you can't contact an artist before the con) ensuring you know where the artists are located.

Just because they're not in Artist Alley doesn't mean they're not attached to an exhibitor booth. A careful perusal of the program to check out the exhibitor booth listings and Artist Alley is worthwhile.

As an example, Dave Gibbons will be attending this year but not attached to an obvious (ie comics related) booth. Thankfully I've already made arrangements with most of the artists I want to catch up with so I don't have too many to ferret out
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #9
sketch515
Artist
ArtistProducer

care to share with us where gibbons is gonna be?
sketch515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #10
mwf6171
internet forum tough guy

Location: Gore/Aussie Land!!! well Kansas City, MO actually..
Who is John H?
mwf6171 is offline   Reply With Quote