Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 06-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #31
Underdog07
Hercules

Also, if not using a sketch book, remember to bring something to carry your commission in. Especially important if getting pieces that are 11x17 or larger. You'll need either a portfolio or a mylar sleeve, but then also something to put that into (backpack or large bag)
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:36 AM   #32
Royd
Producer
Producer

Hey sketch515,

Just heard back from Dave Gibbons who said:

"I'm the guest of Smith Micro software, although I will also be putting in appearances at DC & Dark Horse, too."

Since he was being brought over by a software company for the con, the comics companies obviously saw an opportunity to have him do some signings at their booths as well. Best,

Royd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royd View Post
I've just messaged Dave to check that it's okay to mention where he'll be located at SDCC (in case they were going to make a special announcement and I stuffed things up ).
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:18 AM   #33
sketch515
Artist
ArtistProducer

Quote:
Hey sketch515,

Just heard back from Dave Gibbons who said:

"I'm the guest of Smith Micro software, although I will also be putting in appearances at DC & Dark Horse, too."

Since he was being brought over by a software company for the con, the comics companies obviously saw an opportunity to have him do some signings at their booths as well. Best,

Royd
thanx royd!

Last edited by sketch515; 06-13-2010 at 09:20 AM. Reason: bad spelling
sketch515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:00 AM   #34
Royd
Producer
Producer

Great advice about folios and a bag to carry it in. I recently purchased a fantastic messenger bag which is 18" x 15" x 5" and has a laptop compartment.

It's called the North Face Base Camp Messenger Bag which you can see here - http://www.ebags.com/product/the-nor...g-large/100227

I've already tested it out as regards carrying folios which are 11" x 17" and it worked just fine leaving my arms free. I'm also using it as my airline carry-on luggage to store my laptop and sundry items including art folios. Best,

Royd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
Also, if not using a sketch book, remember to bring something to carry your commission in. Especially important if getting pieces that are 11x17 or larger. You'll need either a portfolio or a mylar sleeve, but then also something to put that into (backpack or large bag)
Old 06-13-2010, 10:20 PM   #35
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Great advice about folios and a bag to carry it in. I recently purchased a fantastic messenger bag which is 18" x 15" x 5" and has a laptop compartment.

It's called the North Face Base Camp Messenger Bag which you can see here - http://www.ebags.com/product/the-nor...g-large/100227

I've already tested it out as regards carrying folios which are 11" x 17" and it worked just fine leaving my arms free. I'm also using it as my airline carry-on luggage to store my laptop and sundry items including art folios. Best,

Royd
Excellent Royd - I have to check that bag

Thanks for the tip
Old 06-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #36
Bishop40
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

royd, is that bag heavy or easy on the shoulders. i find that over a period of time especially 3 to 4 days at a con carrying a bag and standing in long lines really does a number on the shoulders and back.

thanks
OD
Bishop40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:00 AM   #37
Royd
Producer
Producer

I must admit that I have yet to carry it around for long/extended periods of time. So far, I've only tested it carrying medium loads (walking to/from home/work to the bus/train stop).

It's a messenger-style bag which is designed primarily for bike couriers and has a padded strap across the shoulders which is quite comfortable. It's very durable/tough and the right size for art folios. It also has a laptop compartment and appears to be good enough to double as carry-on airplane luggage.

I know what you mean about standing around for 3 or 4 days at a con but I've always tried to find an artist's table or friend's booth where I can leave my bags (if they don't have too much of value in them) temporarily. Best,

Royd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop40 View Post
royd, is that bag heavy or easy on the shoulders. i find that over a period of time especially 3 to 4 days at a con carrying a bag and standing in long lines really does a number on the shoulders and back.

thanks
OD
Old 08-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #38
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:

Royd
Royd - thanks for teh tip on this bag. Just picked one up (in snazzy red - so its easy to see) and it even fits larger Itoyas than the 11x17. Hopefuly this wil make carrying things easier for me. I now might bring some of my art to shows to get them signed.