Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 08:39 PM   #31
d rod
Xtreme Sports Master
Administrator

Risingstar:
When I have posted comments in the Reviewer section, how many times have you participated? Have you ever approached me for help or given me a suggestion? I offered my help, suggested if you guys wanted to monetize the forum's youtube for yourselves you could and even had Koto donate 2 pieces but their problem was that they felt that the individual was only promoting itself, not the forum. I'll be the first to admit that my first mistake was to trust someone else to do something and trusting what was told to me by phone was good enough. Hence, why I am gearing some changes. I have some manufacturers wanting to get involved, some old reviewers wanting to get involved and hopefully some new ones.
My interest is in having an archive for the forum members so they can reference new and old reviews. If nobody wants to do it, so be it. If you feel that the traffic from StatueForum is not worth donating a copy of your review, you are entitled to that.
I might not have the perfect solution or idea but at least I'm talking about it, trying to be respectful, civil and take everyone into account.

Dechirico called me and gave me some great points and ideas and hopefully this will make it more enjoyable and generate more interactions between members and fans of all the lines.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:44 PM   #32
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

I don't look at any of the youtube reviewers. Most of these guys are just collectors who happen to be the first ones to start posting reviews. Not exactly what I would call "experts". If there were any I might follow it would be sculptors or painters. Seems most of these reviewers are bucking for free statues from companies based on the number of followers or trying to make money on their channel. I just go with pictures and make my own decisions.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:08 PM   #33
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
I don't look at any of the youtube reviewers. Most of these guys are just collectors who happen to be the first ones to start posting reviews. Not exactly what I would call "experts". If there were any I might follow it would be sculptors or painters. Seems most of these reviewers are bucking for free statues from companies based on the number of followers or trying to make money on their channel. I just go with pictures and make my own decisions.
I can only speak for myself, but I’ve never been offered a free statue, nor have I ever asked for one. I’ve certainly never claimed to be an expert about anything. I merely give my take on a piece, for what it’s worth.

As for profiting, my Sideshow Booth tour from SDCC has 172,000 views. It’s a costly venture to attend the show, and a challenge to film a watchable tour with 125,000 of my best friends crowding the hall. My total income from my YouTube channel? Zero. It’s all for the love of the hobby.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:14 PM   #34
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
I can only speak for myself, but I’ve never been offered a free statue, nor have I ever asked for one. I’ve certainly never claimed to be an expert about anything. I merely give my take on a piece, for what it’s worth.
There are exceptions.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:55 PM   #35
VindictvePotato
Shadowhawk

I think it is strange to do this. I can maybe see this targeting individuals who just come around to promote their videos but don't contribute to the forums. While I do share my videos here at times, I am not an aggressive content creator so this won't affect me in any light. However, videos are a huge part of life these days. Hopefully this decision will be reconsidered.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:07 AM   #36
GaryTonge
Kingpin

I do the odd review. Probably not as often as I'd like to. When I do, I like to link my Youtube turnaround video of that piece to help flesh out the content in the review. I have a grand total 255 subs. I'm clearly not on SF to make a profit.

The idea of giving up my content for someone else to own doesn't sit well with me.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:47 AM   #37
d rod
Xtreme Sports Master
Administrator

GaryTonge: You did donate something to the forum, an excellent written review. Yes, it's not a video review but it's an awesome written review which is very cool for this forum to have posted so as long as this forum is open, anyone can read the review and see the great pics (as long as they are available as well). Those that haven't checked it out, should.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:15 PM   #38
nearmint
Phoenix

So I'll be doing a Thor review this weekend. I guess I'll be posting it everywhere but Statue Forum?
Old 02-28-2019, 01:24 PM   #39
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

I think you guys are looking at this development in the wrong way. Statue Forum is just looking to build a YouTube channel that’s an amalgamation of contributions from the collectors, artists and companies that already post links in threads here to their channels and/or social media pages.

The upside of this is your content isn’t going to get buried on page whatever of an isolated thread but instead be showcased on a channel that covers our entire community here. This also makes your content visible to more than just those that view a specific thread or stumble upon your channel while surfing YouTube.

To be clear nobody wants to control or claim ownership of your content either. It’s yours, it’ll always remain that way. Anything you’d contribute is still under your control. You want it pulled down for any reason? No problem, let us know. And we’re not looking for all your content either. Just whatever you’d like to share with the official forum channel. It’s fully under your control.

The other thing we’re trying to control is people (unlike you guys/gals in this thread) that come to the forum, post links to their YouTube channels and spam the boards with links to social media pages and/or storefronts. These members are people who make no contribution to the community here other than promoting themselves on the back of the forum. Having you guys listed as contributors will help us separate you from them in turn letting us mods know when you post a link in a thread you’re a valued contributor here and the link won’t get deleted.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:18 PM   #40
nearmint
Phoenix

We understand all that, and I'm sure you'll find reviewers interested in going that route. But why disallow links to youtubers' channels? Surely you can promote the SF channel without blocking all others.
Closed Thread