Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 03-02-2021, 08:53 PM   #11
leplant
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
That wouldn't bother me if they relinquish 1:4 license dominance in DC and Marvel for NA. Let Prime 1, XM, Queen, etc. do it without the extra hurdles.
I’d love to see XM get US distribution rights. In a perfect world Sideshows license wouldn’t be exclusive, and collectors could easily access both.
leplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:58 PM   #12
gra007
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580 View Post
Is it really all that abnormal? Isn't this usually the "quiet" time of the year anyway ramping up for SDCC? Factoring in the pandemic stuff, I don't think it's really all that surprising.
Usually February is the busiest month for the industry with Toy Fair. Doesn’t Sideshow do their own thing around then?
gra007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:12 PM   #13
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580 View Post
Is it really all that abnormal? Isn't this usually the "quiet" time of the year anyway ramping up for SDCC? Factoring in the pandemic stuff, I don't think it's really all that surprising.

I think they're just holding out a bit on new announcements/reveals/etc because of the landscape and they feel like it isn't the optimal time.

It's not really fair to compare them to P1/XM either because those companies will reveal something in January and it MIGHT go up for PO a year later. Whereas Sideshow goes from reveal to PO much quicker historically. Those companies always tend to have a relatively steady flow of PO's because they have such a backlog of statues that they've revealed whereas SS, how many statues do you know about that haven't been put up for PO yet? Storm, Power Girl, Scarlet Witch, and what else? And even those, it's literally been like 2 months. It just feels like longer because you all post about them every freaking day lol. Whereas P1 has 20 statues in it's "Coming Soon" link, and even that isn't all of the things they've revealed. They just do things differently.

Anyway, I don't really think it's all that surprising. Sideshow carries a LOT of stuff beyond what they make to carry them through right now whereas those other companies, they have no choice but to keep going as normal. I imagine they'll have plenty of things to show around July.
You make some good points. I can't remember - maybe this is their slow time of the year. And by changing their model to more distribution, it does allow them to keep the cash flow going without having to put items up for preorder.

In terms of SSC not putting things up because this may not be the optimal time, I think that one could go either way. While shipping costs are high and some disposable incomes have been hurt due to the pandemic, the counterpoint is that some folks have more disposable income due to not taking trips or spending money on activities/memberships which may have been shut down.
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:34 PM   #14
xellos49698
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

It feels slower to me. Normally we would have gotten a few reveal, but thanks to Covid not so much.

My gut is saying there are going to be more delays on statues coming out. (although I really hope I'm wrong)

The already canceled E3 again, which doesn't leave me with a good feeling about 2021.
xellos49698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:44 PM   #15
saberhagen
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iko Iko View Post
In terms of SSC not putting things up because this may not be the optimal time, I think that one could go either way. While shipping costs are high and some disposable incomes have been hurt due to the pandemic, the counterpoint is that some folks have more disposable income due to not taking trips or spending money on activities/memberships which may have been shut down.
I don't think this gets stated enough. Those with means have fewer places to spend and are looking for more outlets. Take a look at the across the board inflation in the CGC market: if you're stuck sitting around at home, a mix of hobby and investment is the perfect mix to justify hundreds or thousands on a purchase.
saberhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:51 AM   #16
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Those numbers dwindle pretty fast. They don’t have a healthy ES with bored millionaires being their buying demographic.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:28 AM   #17
Toefur
Frackin!

Being unemployed right now I'm OK with the slow down. There's a couple pieces I haven't pre-ordered yet that I'd like to get. I think this is the first time in a long time that I've only had 4 outstanding pre-orders. Depending on how my current CS issue is resolved I'll maybe order them or not once I get a solid job again. It's easier to have 2 statues in the back log to order than 10.
Toefur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:42 PM   #18
FJC
Midnighter

I haven't POd anything directly from sideshow since the Green Arrow PF. I mainly work the aftermarket for sideshow pieces now. I've saved hundreds by doing that. I've added the EX Logan, Cable, Colossus, and Flash PFs to my collection by buying in the aftermarket.

I won't order directly from sideshow anymore unless I'm looking at a great looking statue with a fairly low ES of a character that's popular or hasn't ever been released. Green Arrow fell into that category for me. A phenomenal looking statue of a pretty popular character that's never been released in 1/4 scale. I had a gut feeling that PF would go up in price in the aftermarket so I didn't play around and ordered him directly from sideshow. I'm glad I did because the price for him definitely went up in the aftermarket.

So, I'm really not waiting anxiously on POs from sideshow anymore. I'm more anxiously awaiting full reveals of characters I'm interested in that have been teased. I can't wait for the full reveal of Storm.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:58 PM   #19
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Sideshow is being slow about things. Meanwhile, Tweeterhead keep sending out POs. I've ordered two pieces from them while waiting on Sideshow to give me something to spend money on.

Statue collectors have always had plenty of people buying who were spending outside their means. Rona aint stopping that.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:01 PM   #20
Mister H
Gen 13

Maybe SS is waiting on the next stimulus check to be sent out.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote