Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 11-07-2018, 08:45 AM   #11
El Diablo
Doom Patrol

Looks nice, but I don't care who made it, it's not worth $6.5k nothing about it warrants that price
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:54 PM   #12
SteveL.
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I'm sure those that actually "have" the money will disagree with you.

Here is a video showcase of the maquette on Alec Gillis's instagram. Looks incredible!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp8JqQCgBfy/
SteveL. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:24 AM   #13
El Diablo
Doom Patrol

I do actually ‘have’ the money, and it’s still overpriced. Though I’m not sure how what amount of money you have has any bearing on whether this piece is overpriced or not unless you mean the people that have more money than sense, then absolutely it’s value for money, would look good right next to that diamond encrusted dog collar which was also a good buy
This doesn’t look vastly better than the Sideshow piece I used to own (which was also directly from the movie molds). Don’t get me wrong it looks good and I like the pose but it doesn’t have silicone skin or hand punched hair or even a vastly complex paint job that would warrant that price, you’re paying circa $4k purely for the adi connection.
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:26 PM   #14
SteveL.

What was implied, is that those that purchase it will disagree. It "is" vastly better finished and painted than the SS Chinese sourced production maquette.Besides, you're not seeing the full underlining detail of the paintwork.

You are apparently comparing prices to Chinese factory sourced replicas.Why do you suppose the SS A3 maquette was $899 and had more simplified paintwork? The P1/CP is also priced accordingly as a result.Do you think the P1/CP would cost $1699 if they made 100 of them produced in the US?

You are also forgetting what was the underlining intent of making these pieces available in the first place.It was a way for ADI artists to share their artwork with fans.This was a way for those artists to make some money during downtime at the shop and to also help further support for the art of PFX.

ADI isn't making the kinds of margins on these like P1 or other Chinese sourced replica companies are making on their pieces.

ADI has in the past and still is partnering with replica companies to make pieces at a reduced cost, through those companies and their factories, for those who don't have the money to purchase the pieces made directly from their studio and artists.

Other FX companies and artists have done the same.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:36 AM   #15
Python
Omega Red

I think it's lovely, and if I did indeed have more money than sense, I'd buy one happily. But I don't. And despite the knowledge of where this is being produced, and the added pedigree that comes with it, it is difficult to see how this can command more than $4k over the also beautiful Prime 1 version which is already expensive for most of us to begin with. I'm sure this will be a fine product in hand, but it's very clearly for a small selection of extremely die hard and very wealthy fans within an already niche group.

If they could balance out their prices a little (and make up for it with higher sales) ADI could be an interesting little source of direct collectibles, I'd love a fully accurate Wolf mask for example. But as it stands, they are something for most of us to admire from the sidelines, and I wish them the best with it all.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:30 AM   #16
SteveL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
but it's very clearly for a small selection of extremely die hard and very wealthy fans within an already niche group.
Yep,besides the strictly "very wealth" part, that is the group this piece and some of the others pieces are primarily marketed towards and Alec Gillis knows that it's an expensive piece and makes no qualms about that.

Just for the sake of making a simple,but not necessarily an accurate,assumption of possible total sales numbers between the P1 and the ADI A3 maquette, you get the following:

P1 = 800 DX versions at $1699 each
1000 regular versions at $1499 each = $2,858,200 in total possible sales, not profit.

ADI = 100 at $6500 each = $650,000 in total possible sales, not profit.

The P1 is around 1/4 less in price per maquette,but they want to sell 18 times as many as ADI wants to sell.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #17
Python
Omega Red

I actually doubt P1 will sell the full production run tbh. I'm not saying this is a clear rip off, just that this bum can't afford it. And if I had $6k in the bank, I probably still wouldn't get it as in the grand scheme of things, the value isn't there for me. The P1 is more than good enough for me.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:30 PM   #18
SteveL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
I actually doubt P1 will sell the full production run tbh. I'm not saying this is a clear rip off, just that this bum can't afford it. And if I had $6k in the bank, I probably still wouldn't get it as in the grand scheme of things, the value isn't these for me. The P1 is more than good enough for me.
Fair enough.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:40 PM   #19
BillyCurly
Dreams of Youth are the Regrets of Maturity
Adamantium Plus Member

Bottom line is it would be the best quality you could get aside from someone doing a one off that is a pro artist. These are coming from molds and they have a crew under there supervision painting them. Are they worth the price compared to whats out there. HELL NO!!!

But for those that want half heads for 3 and 5 grand, its retarded. Like buying foot wear, if you buy Reebok or NIKE, you are just paying for the name, as there is many other shoes far superior for alot less.

So yes the pieces will be better than China produced pieces quality wise, but the prices are out to lunch and honestly I dont see why ADI is even doing it. Its not like there going to make a fortune of it. But maybe work these days is hard to get so they are doing the Pat Magee thing, work on movies, and during downtime, make some props to pay bills when its slow. But It all comes down to this........................people who want it straight from the actual mold and willing to pay for it for bragging rights.

I cant see anyone paying these prices for any other reason than this, and Im a high end collector. I have a ONE OFF life size queen alien sculpted from scratch from bruce hansing based on my design, it cost alot, but its amazing. Other artists, elite artists can build you your own personal alien pred piece for less and it be perfect and real looking. You just have to hire someone. But for those who do buy from them, good for you, nothing wrong with it, but it is a HOLLYWOOD price your paying, and thats all. Cheers
BillyCurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:11 PM   #20
SteveL.

Or you just want something as close as possible to the original props that only a studio like ADI can bring you.The Chinese replica companies always puffer you into believing that they can bring you the same quality and detail, and for the most part, fail to deliver.

Different strokes for different folks. I would love to own one!

Here is a better picture of the ADI showing more of the paint detail and beautiful finish work.