Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 07-30-2017, 06:31 PM   #131
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev327fox View Post
Oh I think I might know what you mean now. The smaller guys with the Chaos Marines and Choas Deamons (I thought they were chaos... um, darn cannot remember.... what are the recruits called again... scouts?)?

But yes I agree games are not the best place for lore to be accurate especially when it has anything to do with the actual gameplay (anything in the lore that will make a bad game would just be tweaked or not used).

But on the other hand Space Marines are built up as almost nigh unstoppable war machines that consistently overcome overwhelming odds.

I actually loved the story and cinematics/voice acting for Dawn of War III. I personally think people hate the changes to the gameplay/game so much it has made them hate everything else about it without realizing it, even the good parts. The voice acting in DoWIII is top notch and I really like those stop motion cinematics... I think that is a really neat way to do them.

Yeah I have seen those. Pretty amazing for basically a couple guys (mostly one from the looks of the credits). Some of the acting is a bit weird (the facial stuff looks off for the younger Inquisitor... uncanny valley type off sometimes with the lip tracking/expression, but overall extremely impressive). The space marines in that video are out of proportion though I think (I have read 2 different heights... 9ft which is rare to see and the one most seem to agree on is 7ft, but the ones in that video were like 10ft+ I bet).

Something I should point out is I love the bulky style... see here is my favorite videogame character (pretty similar in bulky style actually):

Most of the armor in DOW3 isn't too bad, but the characters are greatly exaggerated versions like Gaberial here :| His arms and legs are too thin and it looks like he's wearing a ball from gundam as his torso armor :P As I posted above what tartaros armor is supposed to look like looks a lot better imo :| The proprotions in your image are more like normal SMs, Gabriel is too gangly.

Chaos chapters don't actually have any scouts as scouts are just neophytes/recruits which the chaos SM chapters don't use. Also they the scouts still use bolt rifles (most of the time, or shotguns/meltas etc) as opposed to las guns).

The gameplay between DOW and DOW2 was massively different however it was still well received so I don't think it can be attributed to just the change. Just really the dumbing down of the RTS formula and moba-fying it.
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:50 PM   #132
chev327fox
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverine View Post
was kinda hoping warhammer sisters of battle first, o well
Are they only making one? usually they do a set or line of them... right? Not really sure but I thought so (but yeah the fact is took from the game franchise might mean that was all the got the rights to? hope not but really I have not dog in this fight as I cannot afford these statues).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
Most of the armor in DOW3 isn't too bad, but the characters are greatly exaggerated versions like Gaberial here :| His arms and legs are too thin and it looks like he's wearing a ball from gundam as his torso armor :P As I posted above what tartaros armor is supposed to look like looks a lot better imo :| The proprotions in your image are more like normal SMs, Gabriel is too gangly.

Chaos chapters don't actually have any scouts as scouts are just neophytes/recruits which the chaos SM chapters don't use. Also they the scouts still use bolt rifles (most of the time, or shotguns/meltas etc) as opposed to las guns).

The gameplay between DOW and DOW2 was massively different however it was still well received so I don't think it can be attributed to just the change. Just really the dumbing down of the RTS formula and moba-fying it.

My image was War from Darksiders Was just showing you a character I like from a different series and why I like Space Marines. But I did type a lot so I forgive you if you did not read it all

Oh, so what happened to the neophites/scouts who were part of the traitor legions when they switched? Did the chaos just make them into space marines automatically at that point? Seems like a plot hole.... or did they just kill them off as weak?

Yes, the backlash of the "dumbing down" of the gameplay that so many die-hard fans feel is what i think is coloring how they see the story and the rest of it. They hate the change so much they cannot help but hate the rest of it... I honestly think that is what is happening with most people (and also becasue of this it is super popular/hipster to hate on DoWIII right now).
chev327fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:13 PM   #133
Ranz
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Purely as an art piece i really like this ...I admit i don't follow the game or table top but only know of it through a death metal band i love Bolt Thrower who used the artwork on their album covers ...But this looks really cool
Ranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:51 PM   #134
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Are they only making one? usually they do a set or line of them... right? Not really sure but I thought so (but yeah the fact is took from the game franchise might mean that was all the got the rights to? hope not but really I have not dog in this fight as I cannot afford these statues).
Yes they did show off a SOB before, though it was a sculpt from someone done previously that they were re-purposing. Which is fine with me as it looked great. Wether that fell through with the original artist or that they decided to failbriel angelos thinking that it would appeal both to TT and DOW fans or that GW decided to have them market a failing game for a boost I'm not sure.

Quote:
My image was War from Darksiders Was just showing you a character I like from a different series and why I like Space Marines. But I did type a lot so I forgive you if you did not read it all

Oh, so what happened to the neophites/scouts who were part of the traitor legions when they switched? Did the chaos just make them into space marines automatically at that point? Seems like a plot hole.... or did they just kill them off as weak?

Yes, the backlash of the "dumbing down" of the gameplay that so many die-hard fans feel is what i think is coloring how they see the story and the rest of it. They hate the change so much they cannot help but hate the rest of it... I honestly think that is what is happening with most people (and also becasue of this it is super popular/hipster to hate on DoWIII right now).
I am familiar with War and his brothers (and sister I guess) from darksiders. They do have a relatively similar physic to space marines.

In regards to dumbing down the game it's not just that. It was dumbing it down to a detriment. For example the original DOW is hardly a tactical game. It's a lot of mindless fun, kinda like Starcraft. It's a very dumbed down RTS. However it is probably the most loved of the series since it's a lot of fum. However DOW3 was dumbed down and not in a good way to the opinion of most. I think the concurrent users for the game speaks for itself, even though it just came out it's already lower in average concurrent users then either of the DOW games. I certainly wish I didn't buy it. It's popular to hate on it cause it's crap. I mean people had high hopes however when I first saw gameplay I was like "wow this looks like a pile of crap".

A lot of things change. For example the new Zelda game is WILDLY different the all the others and people LOVE it. There is a lot of people ready to hate on something if it changes and does poorly because they think they should have stuck to the forumla. However if it changed and was good they'll be like "*PHEW* glad they didn't ---- it up". This isn't one of those. They ----ed it up, big time.

It's popular to hate on because it's bad and people like jumping on the bandwagon. For example a lot of people jumped on the band wagon for hating No Man's Sky. Yes it was popular to hate on, but it became that way because the game does in fact suck and misrepresented itself massively.

As for why Chaos had no scouts there are quite a few reasons for that. Did they have scouts originally? Not really, as it was before the chapter days when the legions turned to chaos. And since then the legions were broken up into chapters and that's how they recruit. However the chaos recruit in different ways depending on the legion, ranging from not replacing at all, to growing them entirely, and a lot of them rely on Fabious Bile's work. But essentially they don't have neophytes in the same way the regular chapters do. I'm not actually 100% sure of this answer but I don't believe the legions recruited during the Great Crusade, essentially being at full strength and having better things and it could wait till afterwards. If you are interested in the lore and have such questions though there is a great subreddit for it: https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/

If you're not aware the setting is over 10,000 years away from the original Horus Heresy which happened around 30,000. The Chaos marines still operate on the original legions while the Imperium follow the Codex Astartes and broke up into 1,000 man chapters. Each chapter cannot go above 1,000 marines strong (for the most part, some awesome chapters like the wolves and black templars make their own rules and during crusades :P). The Codex being written by Papa Ultra Smurf himself who, now that he is back, is actively ignoring it like Christians ignore the old testament :P
Old 07-31-2017, 11:27 AM   #135
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
As for the "cartoony" thing... this IS the Warhmmer 40k style from what I can tell so it seems odd to buck it. I can see pulling it in a bit (seem they did a bit for the statue like the cinematic, possibility the same model) but not leave the essence of the Space Marine style.
It's the GW style of modelling, it's not necessarily the definitive style of WH40K! Take a look at the source books, novels and near enough ALL the supporting format, and there is a wide degree of interpretive art, ranging from the 'cartoon' through to ultra realism.

There was no reason to expect these statues to adhere to any particular form of interpretation. I had hoped, based on Prime1 past work, that it would tend towards the realistic side of things. It doesn't, so I'm done (at least for this statue).

It's still a great piece of work, and I will certainly keep you eye on how this license progresses!!!
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:26 PM   #136
dao2
Cyclops

Their artwork doesn't tend to be like the miniatures much except for a lot of the old rogue trader stuff. In regards to this it is pretty faithful to Gabriel in dow3. I wouldn't be surprised to hear it's a print from his model in one of the cinematics. His design in general in dow3 is just crap.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:54 PM   #137
PermaGrin
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InAWoA3FaDk

warcraft lul
PermaGrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:06 PM   #138
Zombiez
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

A realistic space marine would be no space marines at all because you can't keep the design aesthetic of Warhammer 40K and make things realistic. If you change the look of the space marines they won't be instantly identifiable as Space Marines.

The armours are just too big and ridiculous in fact the hole setting of Warhammer is so grimdark that it's ridiculous.
Zombiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:15 PM   #139
PermaGrin
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

I think their illustrations from the Codex (rule books) have a slightly more realistic take than the game's art.

Part of the reasoning to the game's art is proportions and ability to be recognized.

One of the (many) rules for game art is stuff like silhouette. Due to size and distance there is a decent chance that they "softened" up and enlarged from of their design aspects to be noticed froma top down / isometric RTS view.

While not a "main" guy, this marine's armor seems more "realistic" than this Gab piece.

Bring on a WarBoss or some Tyranids
PermaGrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:21 PM   #140
Bob Morton
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Is the new Gabriel statue 1/4 or 1/3? Thank you.
Bob Morton is offline   Reply With Quote