Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2006, 03:00 PM   #1
thecallahan
THE HUGGERNAUT!!!

What would you do (job question)

So I'm making a little over 30k a year right now. The company is a good one, with good perks and the like. The commute is about an hour but I drive about 10 minutes to the subway and take that to work so really, it's not bad at all. Now, I thought I'd get to take the webhelp (tech) spot here after a bit of time but now, I'm not too sure if/when I'll get it. Since they just moved someone over from another position and they'll be doing backup webhelp and logic would say, they'd get the position first.

Now, I have a friend from my last job who's offering to help me get a job doing tech support where she works. She has a lot of pull there and I'll have a really good chance of getting the spot.

Downsides to the job are that it's a 1 year contract (from when the help desk first started) and while my friend's 99% sure that it will be a permanent desk after that, nothings definitive. It's about the same time for commute except I'll have to drive to Falls Church (heavy traffic area) and that would be about a hour, little over that.

Plus sides: Well, I'll be going in, doing basically what I was doing at my previous job. My salary would work out to about a 45k-50k a year salary.

I'm just tossing and turning this idea in my head if I should go for it. Now granted, I might interview and not get the job but there's a very good possibility I could get it.
thecallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:03 PM   #2
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

You sound seriously underpaid. Money talks go for the new job. It's at least a 50% increase which should make any additional inconvenience worth it.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:04 PM   #3
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

Staying at the same job isn't definite either. These days nothing really is totally secure.

Just wait until you have a better idea of whether the new job will happen or not and then decide. An additional 15K - 20K is a significant difference in take home pay.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:06 PM   #4
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton
Staying at the same job isn't definite either. These days nothing really is totally secure.
Too true. Take the money now before the ineveitable outsourcing abroad.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:07 PM   #5
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

That's a tough one. I am in the homebuilding industry (Construction Superintendent) and business is booming. I have had job offers of 20 to 30 thousand more than my current salary but I choose to stay put because I love where I work. I have a very relaxed schedule, 115 working days per phase and we release a phase of homes every 10 weeks. My company pays me very well and the extra money that is out there is just not worth taking a chance on.

Plus I have a laptop with Verizon Fios connection with this job.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:07 PM   #6
thecallahan
THE HUGGERNAUT!!!

Yeah, I know the pay is a lot better. The company I'm at though, it's a definite job. I mean, I'm just a Customer Service Rep here. It's a good foothold into the company and a ton of people have been here 10+ years. It has good stability on that regard. It's just that the other job, after the year contract is up, the desk might close. I'd love the extra money but the fact it might not be there in about 9 months (it's been open for about 3 already) frightens me.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:07 PM   #7
Daredevil
Man Without Fear

go for more money and move somewhere close to there.. find new roommates!

Also, you want something that will open up to the possibility of future career advancement.
Daredevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:17 PM   #8
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecallahan
Yeah, I know the pay is a lot better. The company I'm at though, it's a definite job. I mean, I'm just a Customer Service Rep here. It's a good foothold into the company and a ton of people have been here 10+ years. It has good stability on that regard. It's just that the other job, after the year contract is up, the desk might close. I'd love the extra money but the fact it might not be there in about 9 months (it's been open for about 3 already) frightens me.
Dude, you make horrible money. And a 1 hour commute? Fuggetaboutit. In our area (MD/DC/VA), help desk jobs are a dime a dozen. Customer Svc are even more plentiful which is why (around here) the pay is crap!

Go with your girl because in the year's time you make new contacts at the new company which could easily roll over to a FTE position there in another dept. if not the one you are under contract for.

Besides, you're a young dude. It's not like you are old and need the security and retirement of a steady job (like we old dudes do)! Customer Service is not where it's at if you want to make more $$ in our area.
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:23 PM   #9
thecallahan
THE HUGGERNAUT!!!

Blakey, the commutes nothing, there's no stress on that end for me. As for security, I like that aspect. For whatever reason, I've always had problems getting jobs for whatever reason. Be it lack of degree or something else along those lines. That's why I'm a little timid to go into that situation. I'll talk with her tonight, find out some more specifics about the job and most likely apply for it. Hell, all this hemming and hawwing could be for naught, I might not even be offered the job.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:26 PM   #10
CKinSD
Crush Mod
Super Moderator

take the new job for sure.