Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 09-07-2017, 06:11 PM   #22831
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

The Shining is my favorite movie of all time, it would not have been a fantastic and special movie if it wasn't for the genius of Stanley Kubrick, I usually dont like liberties from source material but Stanley's Shining blows kings out of the water IMO
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:59 PM   #22832
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
The Shining is my favorite movie of all time, it would not have been a fantastic and special movie if it wasn't for the genius of Stanley Kubrick, I usually dont like liberties from source material but Stanley's Shining blows kings out of the water IMO
Yeah.

In a lot of ways, King is very similar to George Lucas, to me. They're great idea men. But they need others to come along and enhance/alter/perfect their ideas.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:31 PM   #22833
Jesse Custer
Hellboy

King doesn´t even consider himself an horror writer, so I don´t think his main intention is to scare people in most of his books. I think The Shining is probably the scariest film ever for me and one of the greatest films of all time, but you really can´t compare it to the book. The characters and, specially, the main themes are really different, they are both masterpieces in their own way. Of course you can still prefer one over the other.
Jesse Custer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:03 AM   #22834
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Custer View Post
King doesn´t even consider himself an horror writer, so I don´t think his main intention is to scare people in most of his books. I think The Shining is probably the scariest film ever for me and one of the greatest films of all time, but you really can´t compare it to the book. The characters and, specially, the main themes are really different, they are both masterpieces in their own way. Of course you can still prefer one over the other.
I have never heard that and in fact all the kuddos he seems to get are as a horror writer but for me his best work is more drama, like Shawshank and Misery and Stand by Me. Again I am in the minority but I think the Shining is overrated as both book and movie and his best horror work is actually Children of the Corn with Pet Semetary a very close second.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:54 AM   #22835
EnShinNoi
Midnighter

It (2017)
A much condensed version of the book. Some stories have been melded to one, others have been created new. Some work, some don't. The impotant thing is the right mood was there and the kids were well cast and had chemistry. I think the movie relied too much on jump scares which lost their effect early on. And having read the book, they were never really going to effect me anyway.
8/10
EnShinNoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:35 AM   #22836
Demona
Martian Manhunter

King considers himself a writers who tends to lean more towards the macabre. It's people who have pigeonhole him into "horror".

But on that note, last night, I saw the movie of what I consider one of his actual "horror" books.

IT: 9/10

The kid actors were great, the humor was spot on, and I felt it was a great adaptation from the book. I have an actual fear and repulsion towards clowns, so per usual I was spooked. I also am freaked out by dolls and the images of dead, water bloated decomposed things. So I was right in my terror zone.

People are already making comparisons to "Stranger Things", but I'm not sure they get that this book is like it's own version of "Stranger Things" before Stranger Things was a twinkle in it's creators eye. Either way, its good. Highly recommend it.

Really looking forward to Chapter 2.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:38 AM   #22837
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Custer View Post
King doesn´t even consider himself an horror writer, so I don´t think his main intention is to scare people in most of his books
Salems Lot?
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:17 PM   #22838
Demona
Martian Manhunter

He did say "in most books".

Salem's Lot, IT, and Pet Cemetery to me are meant to be horror.

Most of his books I would say are psychological thrillers that may have death, murder, or some paranormal activity. Some, but not all.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:01 PM   #22839
Jesse Custer
Hellboy

King has more than 50 novels published, some are horror, but he has said more than one time that he doesn´t like to be considered an horror writer, because it´s not his main focus in most of his books. He says this in some interviews that are available on youtube, but I probably won´t be able to find it, since there are a lot of them and I don´t remember from which videos it is.

A lot of his criticism of The Shining movie comes from this. For exemple, alcoholism and it´s consequences is a very important theme in the book, mainly because King was having serious drinking problems when he wrote it. Kubrick choose to ignore most of it, so it´s one of the things that made King hate it when it came out. He still don´t like the movie, but his criticism nowdays is a lot less harsh.

But still, The Shining is an horror classic, both as a film and as a book. The film is one of my favourites. In my opinion it´s a bad adaptation, but a terrific film nonetheless.
Jesse Custer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:22 PM   #22840
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
I was so disappointed in the ending it totally killed it for me.