Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 11-14-2022, 09:09 PM   #28831
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Great minds think alike. I also thought the first one was genuinely creepier, while the second went full-on camp.
Yeah, the second has him in too many locations, just showing up wreaking havoc. It kind of takes away from his mystique and being singularly focused on the sadism; more purposeful. Turns him more into a Michael Myers-type, killing people in his path; more mindless, less purposeful.

Plus, I believe the first has more instances of prolonged shots of him unmoving, and/or staring. He's more childlike in the sequel. Maybe that has to do with the resurrector/girl child/demon/whatever accomplice.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 11:46 PM   #28832
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
Yeah, the second has him in too many locations, just showing up wreaking havoc. It kind of takes away from his mystique and being singularly focused on the sadism; more purposeful. Turns him more into a Michael Myers-type, killing people in his path; more mindless, less purposeful.

Plus, I believe the first has more instances of prolonged shots of him unmoving, and/or staring. He's more childlike in the sequel. Maybe that has to do with the resurrector/girl child/demon/whatever accomplice.
Yeah. I also liked how the original felt more classic serial killer, while the sequel delved into like Buffy the Vampire territory with the magic sword and other stuff.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 01:19 AM   #28833
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Yeah. I also liked how the original felt more classic serial killer, while the sequel delved into like Buffy the Vampire territory with the magic sword and other stuff.
Agree. I think they are trying too hard to establish a 'mythology' for Art, etc. (smiling girl, sword, Sienna's father and his prophetic artwork, connection with the disfigured character from the first movie), but I didn't like it, and I don't think they did it well.

...at one point I thought they were going to reveal Art as the father of Sienna. lol

Kind of similar situation going from Terrifier 1 --> 2 as with Evil Dead 1+2 --> Army of Darkness. Serious, creepy vibe toned down in favor of more action and bigger spectacle.
Old 11-15-2022, 03:18 AM   #28834
Sonic Boom
The Green Hornet

If you guys want more Art the Clown, check out "All Hallow's Eve." Sometimes you can find some gems in low budget horror. Yes these movies are campy, but it's mainly the practical effects that I enjoy vs CGI blood.

Black Panther 2 - 6/10.
I just couldn't enjoy it enough without BP in it. I would have been ok with a recast. Don't care about Ironheart.
Sonic Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 04:46 AM   #28835
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Boom View Post
If you guys want more Art the Clown, check out "All Hallow's Eve." Sometimes you can find some gems in low budget horror. Yes these movies are campy, but it's mainly the practical effects that I enjoy vs CGI blood.
Oh yeah, thanks for that reminder. I read about that before I watched the Terrifiers, but now that I know I like Art, I had forgotten to add it to my watchlist.

I know it's a different actor than the Terrifiers. I thought he did a great job (I know he had mime training) - hope the other actor is as good.
Old 11-15-2022, 04:58 AM   #28836
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Tourist Trap (1979) - I've been meaning to rewatch this for years. One of the earliest horror movie memories I have, that started me down the path. I remember it really creeping me out as a kid. Pretty tame by today's standards. Still - something of an unusual setup, as well as an unusual role for Chuck Connors. The antagonist's ability has been revisited many times since then, but in 1979, it had to be pretty novel. And if mannequins bother you, give it a try...

But what I noticed most this time around was the smokin hot (in the movie) Tanya Roberts...
Old 11-15-2022, 12:56 PM   #28837
damienjakk
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post

Tourist Trap (1979) - I've been meaning to rewatch this for years. One of the earliest horror movie memories I have, that started me down the path. I remember it really creeping me out as a kid. Pretty tame by today's standards. Still - something of an unusual setup, as well as an unusual role for Chuck Connors. The antagonist's ability has been revisited many times since then, but in 1979, it had to be pretty novel. And if mannequins bother you, give it a try...

But what I noticed most this time around was the smokin hot (in the movie) Tanya Roberts...
Love this movie. Everyone I've ever watched it with always says the same thing, "How did I not know about this movie before."

I usually recommend Curtains with this. Not sure why, I always remember watching these together when I was young though.

damienjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 01:14 PM   #28838
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by damienjakk View Post
Love this movie. Everyone I've ever watched it with always says the same thing, "How did I not know about this movie before."

I usually recommend Curtains with this. Not sure why, I always remember watching these together when I was young though.

I love both of these, Curtains and Tourist Trap are 2 of my favorite horrors from the late 70's/early 80's, I'd also recommend The Funhouse from 1981, directed by Tobe Hooper, director of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 04:53 PM   #28839
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Added both to my list - hadn't heard of them!
Old 11-15-2022, 07:10 PM   #28840
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

The Banshees of Inisherin (2022) - Two lifelong friends find themselves at an impasse when one abruptly ends their relationship, with alarming consequences for both of them.

In Bruges is one of my favorite movies. When I read that director Martin McDonagh was reuniting with leads Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson for a second movie, my expectations were sky high. However, despite some funny dialogue, this is much more serious in tone overall. It's a very, very fine movie, but the high replay value of In Bruges just isn't there for me sadly. Still highly recommended. 9/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote