Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 06-05-2011, 12:09 AM   #391
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

I absolutely love the Kane series by Karl Edward Wagner. Put out in the 70's. Did anyone else read these? I actually even liked them better than the original REH Conan series.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #392
Babytoxie
Ghost

Re: Kane

Those stories were pretty cool, though I wish Wagner would have provided more of a definite origin for the character. I didn't enjoy Kane more than Conan, but almost as much, and Frazetta's covers were excellent!

Once upon a time, I had a hardcover collection of the shorter stories, The Book of Kane, published by Donald M. Grant in 1985. It had a jacket and several plates painted by Jeffrey Jones, who also signed and numbered the book. Why I ever got rid of it, I can't say.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:33 AM   #393
Babytoxie
Ghost

Last night, I finished The Best of Gene Wolfe, a collection of his short stories. "Best" is hardly the adjective I'd use for it. I didn't enjoy them at all.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #394
protector2814
Phoenix

Timeline of the Planet of the Apes by Rich Handley. He includes and somehow manages to incorporate pretty much the entire POTA mythos, including the 5 original movies, cartoon & regular tv series, the comics, novels & even the Burton movie. It's actually kinda boring but it's an easy read and fun for an Apes fan.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #395
twoferflinchin
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Stephen King - Full Dark No Stars. Good stuff.
twoferflinchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:43 AM   #396
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Is it an actual story or just a timeline fitting all the different movies and stuff together?

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Timeline of the Planet of the Apes by Rich Handley. He includes and somehow manages to incorporate pretty much the entire POTA mythos, including the 5 original movies, cartoon & regular tv series, the comics, novels & even the Burton movie. It's actually kinda boring but it's an easy read and fun for an Apes fan.

joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:46 AM   #397
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
Is it an actual story or just a timeline fitting all the different movies and stuff together?
Just a timeline. It starts, if you can believe it, in 1 Billion BC with a comet hitting a planet called Ashlar, creating hardship for the dominant lifeforce there as mentioned in the POTA novel POTA The Fall, and ends in 5041 w/ something that happened in an old Dark Horse comic. For each reference in the book, there's a sidebar on everypage on which you can easily find the original source material. By including the Marvel, Darkhorse, Malibu, gold Key, Topps, etc...comics and every published novel, cartoon & series, the timeline is extremely detailed and lengthy. There's also b&w copies of every comic book & novel covers ever made up to the books publ. The author somehow and much to his credit, strings it all together.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:53 PM   #398
The Batfan
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

start the 10th book in the Sookie Stack house series "Dean in the family" today already 1/4 done lol
The Batfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #399
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Oooo...book discussion!

Lee-- those books (and the show) are addictive like crack!

Right now I'm reading the first book of "A Song of Ice and Fire: Game of Thrones"

If you guys haven't read them yet-- Hunger Games and Dragon Tattoo series are really really good.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:37 PM   #400
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
Those stories were pretty cool, though I wish Wagner would have provided more of a definite origin for the character. I didn't enjoy Kane more than Conan, but almost as much, and Frazetta's covers were excellent!

Once upon a time, I had a hardcover collection of the shorter stories, The Book of Kane, published by Donald M. Grant in 1985. It had a jacket and several plates painted by Jeffrey Jones, who also signed and numbered the book. Why I ever got rid of it, I can't say.
After Wagner died there were two books published that included every Kane story he ever wrote, usually you can get them on ebay (or could) I bought mine new from Amazon when they first came out.

"Midnight Sun" is the collection of short stories and includes some I didn't know existed like Kane in modern times and "Gods in Darkness" which is the collection of all the Kane novels that Wagner did. Both books are published by Nightshade Books.

If anyone has never read any Kane I would recommend the short stories first to get a good feel for who and what he is and then read the novels, but all are great, IMO.

Oh and Midnight Sun also includes an essay that Wagner did but never published about the origins of Kane that might help you with the better explanation you are looking for. I know it helped me although it was pretty much what I thought.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote