Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 01-27-2012, 02:00 AM   #481
BoloMusashi
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahman View Post
And get ready to say WTF at least 5 times..

I started book 5 today.. finally.. till now the weight was the only thing putting me off.. finally decided.. i need to lose some.. so better carry some.
Yeah I was stunned throughout "Blood and Gold" and at times cursing George RR Martin. Currently 3/4 of the way through "A Feast of Crows".
BoloMusashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:10 AM   #482
Babytoxie
Ghost

The Curse of Capistrano by Johnston McCulley

Written in 1919, this is the first appearance of Zorro, later republished as The Mark of Zorro. It's available as a series of Librivox podcasts on iTunes, so I've been listening to and from work. I wasn't expecting much, but the story is pretty good.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:17 AM   #483
BobbyW
The Beast

Finished the first book of the Hunger Games. Wanted to get it out of the way before the movie came out
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:39 PM   #484
dccowen
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Ready Player One.

Is everyone ready to live in an MMORPG in the next 30 years?
dccowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:22 AM   #485
supahman
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoferflinchin View Post
Horns by Joe Hill. Mr. King's son is a hell of a writer. Great stuff.
Picked this up..

however i'm still reading at lunch- Dance with dragons.. in parallel, m reading on my Phone ( using Aldiko on my Galaxy Nexus ) Prince of Ayodhya by Ashok Banker. it's retelling of the famous Indian epic; Ramayana, but written kinda like LOTR.
supahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #486
J Storm
Birdman

I'm reading "Unorthodox: The scandalous rejection of my hasidic roots" by Deborah Feldman. Basically, this woman wrote this exposing what goes on inside the hasidic community in Williamsburg Brooklyn.
J Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #487
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Storm View Post
I'm reading "Unorthodox: The scandalous rejection of my hasidic roots" by Deborah Feldman. Basically, this woman wrote this exposing what goes on inside the hasidic community in Williamsburg Brooklyn.
I was channel surfing the other day and saw her on The View promoting this. Normally I wouldn't spend more than five seconds on The View, but for some reason I listened to her and ending up watching the whole interview! Fascinating stuff that has made me want to pick up the book too! Let me know what you think of it Ant!
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #488
Babytoxie
Ghost

The Worm Ouroboros, by ER Eddison

First published in 1922, this is an obvious inspiration for The Lord of The Rings. I got it as a Librivox public domain download from iTunes. They don't have it in e-book format, but the podcasts are okay with me.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #489
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Heinrich Himmler: A Life

Basically it's the biography of the "man" who was in charge of Hitler's Gestapo and SS.

The book's incredibly informative and engrossing (with a huge referenced bibliography); shows how this creature goes from being raised in a Catholic family, his father being a school teacher, to the dark days of his adulthood, and how that process took place... all the way through to his death. Currently I'm knee-deep in the WW II portion.

A very grim book, with lots of photographs. I'm a huge History buff, and an even bigger World War II buff, so I love it.. but it's as dire as it is entertaining.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #490
dccowen
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post
Heinrich Himmler: A Life

Basically it's the biography of the "man" who was in charge of Hitler's Gestapo and SS.

The book's incredibly informative and engrossing (with a huge referenced bibliography); shows how this creature goes from being raised in a Catholic family, his father being a school teacher, to the dark days of his adulthood, and how that process took place... all the way through to his death. Currently I'm knee-deep in the WW II portion.

A very grim book, with lots of photographs. I'm a huge History buff, and an even bigger World War II buff, so I love it.. but it's as dire as it is entertaining.
Sweet! I am contemplating The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich or Atlas Shrugged for my next read. You recommendation may have swayed my choice.
dccowen is offline   Reply With Quote