Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 11-11-2018, 10:10 AM   #24301
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
well, wiki is closed to my country :/ My friend is a good historian and he said there hadn't been any black jumpers... i have no idea on the other hand, i'm not very knowledgeble about American history.
What kind of history your friend is knowledgeable of?
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:58 AM   #24302
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Sarri View Post
What kind of history your friend is knowledgeable of?
He knows all kinds of history but he is an expert on ancient greek history, he's an arkeologist.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:14 PM   #24303
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
He knows all kinds of history but he is an expert on ancient greek history, he's an arkeologist.
Well hopefully you can access The Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...o-donald-trump
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:24 PM   #24304
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

oh nice... My friend said there were black american soldiers in germany at 1945 but American governmant thought black people were untrustable for important missions. So no jump for nazi communication station blow up or anything. Do you know what kind of missions they jumped for ?
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:28 PM   #24305
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Murder on the Orient Express (2017) 5/10

Not terrible but I have to be a book snob on this one. If you have read the book none of the 4 or 5 attempts to convert this one into film really hold up very well.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:18 PM   #24306
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Under the Skin - 6.5/10

This is one of those odd films that most will either love or hate. Ironically I find myself falling in the middle a bit as I generally do love films of this nature but in order for me to really embrace them the score and cinematography need to truly be on point to ramp up the atmosphere. Both of which were really good here but not what I’d consider great. That said I’m actually liking the film more & more the longer it sits with me so I think credit is due to the ambiguous and creepy subject matter. Bottom line, if you can appreciate film as a visual medium and not get tied to the idea of a clear straightforward narrative you’ll probably appreciate some of if not all of what is offered here. If not you’ll likely come away frustrated and bored. Me, I liked it and had it not been for a few members here recommending the film I’d likely never have seen it. So thanks for that guys. You know who you are.

Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:45 AM   #24307
abarron
Batman

Nutcracker and the 4 Realms

6/10

My 8 year old daughter wanted to see it. Not knowing the story of the Nutcracker this reminded me an awful lot of Narnia. Some of the script and acting was a bit dubious at times too.
Could tell a lot of it was green screen too
abarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:53 PM   #24308
JoeWorf
The Herculoids

Quote:
Overlord 6/10

when i was watching the film, i was like ''wait a munite, they weren't treating black people as their equals back then in America...'' i told this to my friend afterwards the film and he had no idea. So i asked a historian tomb raider lol friend about it and he told me that it was bull----... there was no black parachute jumpers in world war II. My point is i don't like how they altered the history like that, i never like lying about history, it bothers me alot... It's wrong no matter for what's sake. But other than that i gave the film a 6 because it was kind of watchable, i had good time with an old friend of mine.
I guess what I don't get is the near obsession with one likely historically fictitious element of a fictional WWII-based movie (not a documentary, mind you), but not even batting an eye to the aspect of "zombies" running amok in the same flick?!!!?? As they say, "You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel." Go figure. Eat some popcorn. Swig on a soda and heed the usual "The events depicted in this movie are fictitious... " disclaimer in the end credits.
JoeWorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:23 PM   #24309
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Night of the Living Dead 1968 - 8.5/10

The true definition of a classic. NotLD’s influence is unquestionable. Despite it’s age and low budget it’s still an affective horror film and it’s not so much due to the zombies themselves but the atmosphere of impending doom Romero creates. The use of news broadcasts to inform the survivors that the world has ended as they know it makes the claustrophobic setting feel all the more hopeless, creepy and disturbing. One of my favorites.

Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:34 PM   #24310
JoeWorf
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Night of the Living Dead 1968 - 8.5/10

The true definition of a classic. NotLD’s influence is unquestionable. Despite it’s age and low budget it’s still an affective horror film and it’s not so much due to the zombies themselves but the atmosphere of impending doom Romero creates. The use of news broadcasts to inform the survivors that the world has ended as they know it makes the claustrophobic setting feel all the more hopeless, creepy and disturbing. One of my favorites.

JoeWorf is offline   Reply With Quote