Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 04-24-2017, 03:13 PM   #21
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
You get me wrong about being flexible. I don't say be flexible and like female versions. I just say don't give crap about it and be flexible to read what is outside of superhero comics and manga.

And i called you Dinosaurs cause WKTF called himself a dinosaur. I mean no disrespect with the generalisation.
Actually, it was Protector who used the term and I only coined it from his post.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:14 PM   #22
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Just another excuse to launch a whole load of #1 issues, each with about 50 variant covers each. I wonder what the theme is gonna be after hip-hop albums. Country & Western?
I was done with Marvel when they started syncing the comics with the films. Keep the 2 separate
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:16 PM   #23
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
Poor Dinosaurs... It's life of complaning about how Marvel and DC dissapointed you and ruined your childhood favorites...

If you can only be flexible abit but it's not in the nature of The Dinosaurs, you can't teach a dinosaur new tricks... I'm glad, i'm not a dinosaur and i will probably reduce my superhero comics buyings to just Batman in the near future. It's not like Batman is so good, it's just that Batman is a childhood favorite, as you can see there is some dinosaurness in me too but very little and i'm grateful for that. I'm grateful that there is a comics outside of superheroes and manga to turn to for actually good stories and i'm flexible enough to read them.
Hopefully you didn't miss my point that it's terrible storytelling and writing that's ruining these books for me rather than changing childhood favorites. My example and proof-point was Jason Aaron's great writing on Thor, a book I'm loving, regardless of his having radically changed one of my childhood favorite characters.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:17 PM   #24
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Actually, it was Protector who used the term and I only coined it from his post.
Then i should corret it.

I used the term cause Protector used the term and WKTF coined it. I didn't use it to hurt feelings. I thought it was a accepted term.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:24 PM   #25
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Hopefully you didn't miss my point that it's terrible storytelling and writing that's ruining these books for me rather than changing childhood favorites. My example and proof-point was Jason Aaron's great writing on Thor, a book I'm loving, regardless of his having radically changed one of my childhood favorite characters.
Good to be reminded, i kind of missed your point when i was making a generalisation. I have symphaty for The female Wolverine myself, even if i haven't read it yet but ofcouse i don't have high expectations. After so many dissapointments at writting, i quitted to care about anything superhero...
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:18 PM   #26
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
I really love diversity in comics, I'm all for it and I believe if we want our children to buy and enjoy comics they have to be representative of the world we live in. Call me a liberal if you wish, but I believe intolerance of any lifestyle or culture is abhorrent.

I say this as my statement could be misconceived as racist or intolerant (a sign of the times sadly).

However, Marvel forcing diversity into pre-established, widely accepted character's shoes is incredibly ill thought out and actually has proved to push people away from those characters.

Iceman from the past being homosexual when his future self is heterosexual actually implies that you can 'learn' or be conditioned to be gay or straight, which I find reprehensible.

Having hispanic, black, LGBT or female characters 'replace' established characters rather than grow as identities of their own alienates readers and makes people see genuine diversity as a gimmick.
This is not true. When teen Iceman confronted his future self about being gay, future Iceman admitted he had been in the closet his entire life as well.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:05 AM   #27
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
This is not true. When teen Iceman confronted his future self about being gay, future Iceman admitted he had been in the closet his entire life as well.
Really? I completely missed that!!

What issue was that in?

Edit: Actually, I found that on my own...I have read this issue, but do not remember this scene at all. Actually the way they have handled that is actually fine with me, seems a bit more sensitive than I had thought they were capable of. People come to terms with their sexuality at all stages in their life, so I can't see a problem with that storyline.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:42 PM   #28
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
Really? I completely missed that!!

What issue was that in?

Edit: Actually, I found that on my own...I have read this issue, but do not remember this scene at all. Actually the way they have handled that is actually fine with me, seems a bit more sensitive than I had thought they were capable of. People come to terms with their sexuality at all stages in their life, so I can't see a problem with that storyline.
When I first read it, I immediately recalled when Iceman was in a relationship with Cloud back in the Defenders title and she confessed to him that she was actually both genders sharing the same body. Iceman did not take the news well at all and kicked her to the curb right then and there. Hmm.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:35 PM   #29
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
When I first read it, I immediately recalled when Iceman was in a relationship with Cloud back in the Defenders title and she confessed to him that she was actually both genders sharing the same body. Iceman did not take the news well at all and kicked her to the curb right then and there. Hmm.
Also do you remember when Bobby was body jacked by Emma Frost and went on a soul searching road trip Rogue?

He makes mention that his father used to think he was a sissy and brought Rogue to dinner with his parents just to demonstrate he could cut it with a cute girl...double hmmm.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:09 PM   #30
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

Concerning the thread topic about newer diverse characters being attached to established names, I'm okay with it as long as readers are given choices between books featuring both the old and the new. And that is what Marvel is doing for the most part with Peter Parker/Miles Morales, Odinson/Jane Foster, Steve Rogers/Sam Wilson and Carol Danvers/Kamala Khan.

As for the veteran characters who aren't around at the moment like Iron Man, Hulk and Wolverine, if you don't like Riri Williams, Amadeus Cho and Laura Kinney, at least there are alternate titles that may appeal more to older readers starring Victor Von Doom, Jennifer Walters and Old Man Logan. Although from what I've read, most people are opposed to calling Jennifer Walters' new book Hulk instead of She-Hulk again too.