Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 08-14-2016, 04:58 PM   #121
Spidey976
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
I mean no offense, but you are ignorant to how much I critique XM. How many times do I have to tell you people on here that the forums is not the only place that opinions and dislikes are mentioned? One thing you can never KNOW...is how much I critique XM...just trust me on this point. And I am not alone...noooooo...not by a long shot. But YOU WILL NEVER KNOW OR SEE THAT.

You do me a disservice because of your ignorance...I am not saying that in a disrespectful manner to you...but if you don't know something, then that means you are ignorant to it. So I mean it in that manner.

And for the future....call me a raging STATUE FANBOY...not an XM one. I appreciate all art and skill...FROM ALL COMPANIES. Get your facts correct.
That's because you have those conversations in the XM secret society...lol.

In the end m8 I know you are a fare and open guy to all companies, but I know that because I know away from here. If I was going to judge you souly from what I saw here I might think differently, but that isnt saying I would be right.
Spidey976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:05 PM   #122
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey976 View Post
That's because you have those conversations in the XM secret society...lol.

In the end m8 I know you are a fare and open guy to all companies, but I know that because I know away from here. If I was going to judge you souly from what I saw here I might think differently, but tha isn saying I would be right.
Thanks Spidey. I admit I'm gungho for XM, but even XM knows how much I respect other company's products.

Here is one example: I have no idea how XM can match or exceed the new SS Deadpool statue done by Will Harbottle. I think that is easily one of the most exciting and cool poses I have ever seen. I still can't believe that is a SS statue. SS? Dynamic? Really??? I jest, they can do it when they want...just not enough for my tastes.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:23 PM   #123
Spidey976
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Well, as shocking as it may be to ryan here, I agree there are some concepts better than others...without question.

IF ANYONE CAN ANSWER THIS QUESTION THEN YOU PAY ATTENTION TO MY POSTS AND SEE AND KNOW I DO CRITIQUE XM (somehow I don't think many if any will get this correct).

What character(s) / concept(s) do I not like or have critiqued hard very much so from XM?
Hmmm a challenge...okay I will miss some and may get some wrong, but I would say; SpiderGwen, smiling DD portrait, skinny Classic IronMan, SheHulk and Elecktra portraits, hmmmmm maybe Carnage, but I am not sure... Those are some guesses.

Quote:
Thanks Spidey. I admit I'm gungho for XM, but even XM knows how much I respect other company's products.

Here is one example: I have no idea how XM can match or exceed the new SS Deadpool statue done by Will Harbottle. I think that is easily one of the most exciting and cool poses I have ever seen. I still can't believe that is a SS statue. SS? Dynamic? Really??? I jest, they can do it when they want...just not enough for my tastes.

I think they have been killing it lately, and they have some amazing ones in the past. I love Groot and Rocket, Captain Marvel, Spider-Man and the Hulk and Wolvie Dio. As for Deadpool it is insane!! Over the top for sure. Yeah they have some stinkers though.

In the end Let me be clear... I don't think this Spider-Man is a stunner for XM, but it isn't what I think they could have done.
Spidey976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:00 PM   #124
slynger
Hellboy

Quote:
Agree 100% on this. I've always liked Deadpool although I wouldn't call myself a diehard fan, this SS PF is just amazing. I can't believe it's coming from SS either, just doesn't fit with what they normally do. I'm considering getting it not only because of the character, but the design is amazing.
slynger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:39 PM   #125
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

Quote:
Really? Captain America, Black Widow...two of their first statues command $1200 or more on the aftermarket...that is a difference of almost $800. The statues have tripled in value...in just 2 years. Pretty impressive. GR sold out in 2 min along with Batman and are highly wanted. Cable and Venom are having people go into coniptions because its super hard to get.

Most SS statues that have been sold out you can get below retail...doesn't mean they are any less popular or wanted by people. A statue like some of PCS SF statues that command lots of money in the aftermarket have an extremely low ES...so of course that is going to make it look like it is the most popular line in all of statuedom. Not true at all. It's rarer, and any rarer statue that is harder to get will usually command more money in the aftermarket

Lastly, your biggest mistake, is not understanding THESE ARE NOT SOLD IN THE US. The popularity and how these do so well is told by how it performs in the territories they are allowed to sell in. I don't understand why that is so hard for some to understand. All you have to do is look on the facebook pages and see what is most popular with XM and what characters are highly wanted or sought after.

So you think the luster with Marvel statues like Ghost Rider, Venom, Carnage, the Xmen statues, Cable, etc. etc, are losing luster? I'm specifically talking about Marvel btw. Here is I think a good analogy.

I'm an aspiring perfumer, and this collectibles market is just like the fragrance market in a way. SS would be the designer store fragrances that can be bought and easily attained at Macy's, Nordstroms, etc. The problem is, most of those fragrances smell similar to one another because they all use similar synthetics, and very few really stand out. Most consumers that shop there are by and large ignorant to what really exists in the fragrance world, of which there are far, far, far more vast and wonderful UNIQUE smelling fragrances that you can never get in the department stores because niche perfume houses CHOOSE not to sell there. With that comes a small issue to the general consumer, and they think that because they don't see it in the department stores, it must not be popular. Simply not true. In fact, the most popular and sought after fragrances are the more expensive and UNIQUE ones like Creed Aventus and a buttload of others that cost $325 for a 3.5 ounce bottle of fragrance. Creed would be the XM of the fragrance world. Highly wanted, but much more costly. But once you get it, and smell it, you realize just how much you really miss out...and begin to understand why the majority of the easily had fragrances just don't cut it compared to Creed or Amouage or Profumum Roma and hundreds of others by and large. But that isn't to say there aren't some really fantastic fragrances in the general market...its just not as vast and eye opening as the niche markets. Funny, these companies have been around for years yet their juice is $100s of dollars more than what you can get at Perfumania.

Sorry for the diatribe, but I thought it was a great analogy.
I like this analogy.
Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:59 PM   #126
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

Quote:

You may criticize XM and show love for other companies but it doesn't really show on the forum.
Base issues imo, Daredevil, Sandman on soft serve ice cream, SpiderMan and Gwen, Rhino, Juggs to name a few. It does seem however that the newer statues in production backed off the dramatic playset style bases and in return also have less "dynamic" poses. Example quicksilver.
SS Spidey, wolverine, Croc, and Deadpool are just as "dynamic" as any XM piece. I hope they both rub off on each other. I think they already have in some ways and we are seeing it with the newer previews.
SS by making more characters for the bigger comic fan and changing up the typical museum pose and giving better EX swaps.
XM by sculpting better portraits and choosing better color palettes and having less busy bases(in some cases, sometimes it works well) however these are just my opinions of what both companies can improve on.
I don't think I am ignorant, if you do criticize XM on this forum it is minimal.
I will be getting The Vulture and Weapon X. I think they did a great job on Vulture and the weapon X is gonna be sweet too. I am in no way a hater of any company, I am just comfortable with calling a spade a spade.
Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:31 PM   #127
Lockdown
Mephisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchyoutoo View Post
I think its awesome that XM are doing a once again epic switch out scenario statue. But i feel the base is missing a big spiderman theme... New York.
This needs to feel like he is protecting his town, his city, his neighbourhood... a random electric tower doesnt do it for me.

i think his left hand needs more "spidey finger" dynamics. And his body its there, but its more like a "its so close its nearly there" kinda spidey look. I cant put my finger on it, maybe it is just a lower body thing, i dont know.

i love his costume, the details to it and i think he has about the right muscularture for his anatomy.

i really really hope they make a seam along the webbing on his neck and not a straight cut line.
This looks more like a cell phone/radio tower on top of a highrise than a street level electrical pole, as you can see Spidey's enemies are coming up underneath the base try to catch him. It's no more random than SS Spiderman doing parkour on beam in a port or IS Spiderman going thru a window, or Spidey sticking on a brick wall, you can see all these structures in most major cities. I agree with you somewhat, maybe have the Daily Bugle name or something like "New York Mobile" there.
Lockdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:14 PM   #128
Lockdown
Mephisto

Man, so much flaming going on this thread. Personally, I don't think the structure is distracting or take away from the character, like most of XM sculptures, they like to create a whole scene where their bases are more elaborate and contribute to the overall statue than the usual figure on top of a disc-shaped base. Some people hate it and some people like, and you can't satisfy everyone.

This base is not even as complex as Iron Studios, some people call this one distracting, but like IS one. If you don't like elaborate bases, move on, that just your opinions. I don't like disc shaped bases that don't add anything to the over all composition of the sculpture, and will not buy any statues that have it because it bothers me too much. XM bases will probably not change much in the future such as their even more elaborate Weapon X or future statues.

I guess Erick Sosa was right when he was with XM about XM contributing to the change of the statue collecting world. It brings out the good, the bad, fanboys, trolls, haters, competition to existing companies and more choices for consumers.
Lockdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:06 PM   #129
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey976 View Post
Hmmm a challenge...okay I will miss some and may get some wrong, but I would say; SpiderGwen, smiling DD portrait, skinny Classic IronMan, SheHulk and Elecktra portraits, hmmmmm maybe Carnage, but I am not sure... Those are some guesses.

I think they have been killing it lately, and they have some amazing ones in the past. I love Groot and Rocket, Captain Marvel, Spider-Man and the Hulk and Wolvie Dio. As for Deadpool it is insane!! Over the top for sure. Yeah they have some stinkers though.

In the end Let me be clear... I don't think this Spider-Man is a stunner for XM, but it isn't what I think they could have done
I must agree, I love xm but I think they could have done better on this spiderman. It's good but not great. I actually like the ss pose better but I like everything else about the xm version like base, and COH. Never thought I would say SS took the spiderman pose imo. Same with deadpool. SS has taken notice learning from xm since. Now it's a real battle with each release. I guess it's good for the on lookers with more choices coming. There's no clear winner with such great competition.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:07 PM   #130
Divo
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Btw, name the statues where the bases take away from the statues. Now you have me curious.

I've asked the same question, and nobody to date has answered with true examples, or with logical insights. I feel it is truly an empty argument, which has caught on like some contagious disease,............and it's spreading. And some actually believe that these vague unfounded claims pass as true artistic critiques, and blindly follow the blind. A pitiful joke. Wake up, and try to appreciate the complex character and environmental designs XM is trying to achieve, as without any doubt, are pushing this art form to truly new heights.
Divo is offline   Reply With Quote