Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Customs Corner

Old 01-25-2014, 06:27 PM   #91
Shanesg
Green Lantern Corps

It was a LePage brand contact cement. I just went to the hardware store and bought what I figured would work best. The stuff I bought said it was good for everything from fabric to metal, so I figured it would work.
Shanesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:30 PM   #92
A Cimmerian
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Thanks !
A Cimmerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:55 PM   #93
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanesg View Post
I actually didn't find it too difficult to fix. The material came off really easy at the top. I was surprised that I could actually just grab it with my fingers and pull it off. I pulled as much material as back through the armpit and up over his back and re-glued that part.

What I did to get the chest to really show some definition took a little more finesse. I had to make an applicator out of a straw and pull the front of the suit out far enough to apply some glue under the armpit without getting it on the material. After I got some glue where I needed it, I let it dry to the point that it was still sticky, but not wet enough to stain through the fabric. Then I just held it in place with my finger until it held. I tested the glue inside the chest cavity before I did the armpit, so I would know how it reacted to the fabric. I suggest that anyone trying this do that first.

The only way you can get the chest like mine is to do it this way unfortunately. I tried a bunch of different ways pulling the material and there is no way to make it show definition without gluing the material under the arm. This is clearly what they did with the proto and for whatever reason the step was removed from the production process.

And one last thing. A credit card came in handy for really getting the material stuffed up under the arm.
Quote:
It was a LePage brand contact cement. I just went to the hardware store and bought what I figured would work best. The stuff I bought said it was good for everything from fabric to metal, so I figured it would work.
Great tip!! Thanks, Man!!
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:11 PM   #94
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Here's my Batman(post pit surgery). I had planned on taking pics and showing you all how I fixed it step by step, but I started at it and kind of got in the zone. Before I knew it I was done and had nothing to show but the end result.

He came out great by the way. If I wasn't so extremely picky I could have looked past the pit problem. It really wasn't as bad as I expected.
Quote:
I actually didn't find it too difficult to fix. The material came off really easy at the top. I was surprised that I could actually just grab it with my fingers and pull it off. I pulled as much material as back through the armpit and up over his back and re-glued that part.

What I did to get the chest to really show some definition took a little more finesse. I had to make an applicator out of a straw and pull the front of the suit out far enough to apply some glue under the armpit without getting it on the material. After I got some glue where I needed it, I let it dry to the point that it was still sticky, but not wet enough to stain through the fabric. Then I just held it in place with my finger until it held. I tested the glue inside the chest cavity before I did the armpit, so I would know how it reacted to the fabric. I suggest that anyone trying this do that first.

The only way you can get the chest like mine is to do it this way unfortunately. I tried a bunch of different ways pulling the material and there is no way to make it show definition without gluing the material under the arm. This is clearly what they did with the proto and for whatever reason the step was removed from the production process.

And one last thing. A credit card came in handy for really getting the material stuffed up under the arm.
sweet Shane. congrats. looks excellent man.
i was going to try taking the material off at the cavity too. but it was late and was too impatient and wanted a fix now..lol
good to know how you did it does work though. thanks for sharing.
DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:34 PM   #95
Smooth Criminal
A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.

Hey did you guys have to heat the top to open it? I find mine glued preety tightly!
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:35 PM   #96
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Here's my Batman(post pit surgery).
that looks awesome bro! great idea
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #97
Smooth Criminal
A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.

Sideshow Batman PF costume customization thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmutha View Post
I think if you keep it on the seam like he said, and stuff the seam right up into the pit, there would be very little, if any, seepage.
Thanka bro!

Anyone else find that there suit is glued on preety tight from the top? It looked to come off easy in the video lol
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:58 PM   #98
C-Born
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

yeah, that dude has got some skills and some huge coconuts! He handled that with absolutely no fear, and it turned out sweet. But the bottom line is we should not have to do something like that to begin with.
C-Born is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:09 PM   #99
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Born View Post
yeah, that dude has got some skills and some huge coconuts! He handled that with absolutely no fear, and it turned out sweet. But the bottom line is we should not have to do something like that to begin with.
I guess we all better learn how to do it since Superman PF is up next.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #100
rico1701
It's not the years, it's the mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Awesome Video, not sure if I have the guts or talent to do it without screwing it up....
That's a great job on improving your Batman, Rafael!
rico1701 is offline   Reply With Quote