Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Exodiuz's Vids & Video Games

Old 05-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #21
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankierock View Post
I have a feeling this is a BS article. (MS had a reveal today and had no mention of anything on the gaming side really, yet this article is from a source from MS)
It just doesn't make sense...(Unless fee to use the game on another console is like a dollar or two, then Used games are still OK.)

First off if that's the case why sell Disc's anymore if you just intsall the game on the hard drive and it's linked to your account only.

2nd...The Harddrive would have to be HUGE to store all these games...These are going to be Blu-ray games..Installing that entire game would be huge.

3rd places like Gamestop and Gamefly would be done. And Bestbuy, Amazon and others who sell used games would take a major hit as well. I Just don't see a Console company messing with Stores that have been Catering to them for years.

But I guess we will learn more later on.
Microsoft and Sony are going to do what they can to earn as much of the profits from their games as possible. I don't think they're are at all concerned how anything they do will affect companies like Gamestop. What I am sure they will want to avoid however, is alienate the huge consumer base that purchases used games.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #22
Ryu
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I feel bad that jobs will be lost, but gamestop will not be missed.
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #23
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
First there were Video game systems, DVD / VHS players, TVs, Cable boxes, internet.
Then there were Video game systems with DVD/BD, internet.
Now there are TVs with Internet, BD players, and integration with Cable.
They are all converging. Soon one device will do it all and so all the cords will start to go away (yay).
I remember writing papers about this around the time of the SEGA Saturn. People thought I was crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Which is what Microsoft's goal has been ever since they decided to join the console space. In that respect, I guess you could say they are accomplishing their goal. One device to theoretically manage all of your entertainment needs (I am still extremely skeptical it will be as easy and smooth as they made it out to be).
Which is why I'm not fond of Microsoft and the Xbox. Combined with the problems with their systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
I feel bad that jobs will be lost, but gamestop will not be missed.
I avoid Gamestop like the plague. Forget about the bad service and messy stores. It's the profit margins on used games that are the problem. I remember going to a Gamestop years ago to trade a game that was basically new. They didn't care about the condition or completeness of the package at all and offered $5-10. Of course they will try to sell it before a new version and at close to new prices. That's the problem. I'm sure there are few businesses that have the profit margin on used products that Gamestop does.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #24
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Well even if they did unlock the games, Game stop is going out of business anyway.

Most people woke up to ebay to sell their games. Why sell a used game for $2 store credit when they then turn around sell the game for $30 used and you can get more money selling it on ebay for $20 and beat out game stop prices.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #25
El Diablo
Doom Patrol

well one thing M$ has succeeded in doing is making the worst looking console EVER! wow, absolutely NO thought gone into its design it's just a box and not a particularly nice looking one at that!
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #26
Juggernaut
The Falcon

I like the retro design, except for those ridges on top. That's not gonna be very practical to dust.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #27
Juggernaut
The Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
Say goodbye to used games, you buy a game and it sucks you are stuck with it, You can no longer wait for a game to come out and get it cheaper now. All games are locked to you!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...-for-xbox-one/
That sucks.

I like to buy games cheap. I always buy games either new on sale or used like new. So no more used games for me on the Next consol.

Also. This is realy weird.

Why does Kinect have to be attached?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/...inect-attached
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #28
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
Why does Kinect have to be attached?
cause thats how you navigate thru the OS for the new xbox. They want you to do movements to open, shrink windows.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #29
CustomPaintWork
Kindly Asked To Leave

I'll be surprised if the video game industry is still viable for the next gen console releases, it seems like things are a lot more expensive (development costs and break-even). They only hold 40% of the market share in comparison to tablet gaming and PC.

They can pull all the bells and whistles they want, consumers will either become too jaded and move on, or find alternate ways to exploit it.
CustomPaintWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #30
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Seems the focus of these next generation of consoles is to create more of an all in one smart media device than actually advancing the technology within the gaming experience. So far I'm not impressed or interested in what either Sony or Microsoft is offering. The ONLY reason I'll replace my 360 is if the games are significantly better.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote