Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 09-09-2006, 11:34 AM   #1
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Who's the AL MVP? This should be good.

IMO it's either Jeter or Dye. My vote and it has nothing to do with me being a Yankee fan - is Jeter. That long stretch where we had guys injured and guys on the DL Jeter has carried the Yanks. Numbers don't always tell the whole story and it's not like his numbers stink anyway. He's batting almost
.340 in late inning pressure situations. Bottom line is without Jeter I don't think the Yankees would be where their at right now. On the other hand Whitesox lineup is strong and they didn't have injuries like the Yankees had. Also they still haven't overtaken the Tigers. If Dye's numbers stay strong and he carries the Sox to take over the Tigers then that's a different story. As it stands the Yanks overcame all the injuries and not only took the AL East lead they're basically running away with a 9 game lead. Boston pretty much screwed Ortiz out of the MVP. Unless they sneak into the playoffs Ortiz shouldn't get it. Morneau in Minny deserves consideration, even Johan should get some votes - Where would the Twins be without him.

If the season ended today IMO it's Jeter.

Jeter
Dye
Morneau
Ortiz

This is how they would finish today. JMO.

I kept it as real as possible so try to leave your Yankee hate'n crap to a minimum tell the truth here. If you think Jeters numbers aren't strong enough then state your case and state your MVP. Let's have a normal discussion here, no hate.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:43 AM   #2
Daywalker
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

pfft what are u talking about jeter sucks and so does arod - ur just a crazy ass yankee fanboy

but in all seriousness i would agree with u on jeter - like i said in teh howard thread - to be a stand out player on a team with many other stars is what the mvp voters look for - its easy to stand out on a team of nobodies - jeter batting .340 is ludicrious ( especially in the AL ) plus all he does for the yanks - ortiz shouldnt get it for the simple fact that he only hits - granted he hits BIG but no fielding IMO equals no MVP - same about the pitching - a pithcer IMO shouldnt get the MVP since he can get eh cy young ( but again thats just my opinion) - johan is a phenom but again thats what the cy young award is for
Daywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:45 AM   #3
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Jeter works for me.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:45 AM   #4
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalker View Post
pfft what are u talking about jeter sucks and so does arod - ur just a crazy ass yankee fanboy

but in all seriousness i would agree with u on jeter - like i said in teh howard thread - to be a stand out player on a team with many other stars is what the mvp voters look for - its easy to stand out on a team of nobodies - jeter batting .340 is ludicrious ( especially in the AL ) plus all he does for the yanks - ortiz shouldnt get it for the simple fact that he only hits - granted he hits BIG but no fielding IMO equals no MVP - same about the pitching - a pithcer IMO shouldnt get the MVP since he can get eh cy young ( but again thats just my opinion) - johan is a phenom but again thats what the cy young award is for
What you think about Dye?
Old 09-09-2006, 12:15 PM   #5
Daywalker
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
What you think about Dye?
dye shoudl get some legitimate consideration no doubt - hes right in the middle of that deadly 3-4-5 spot in the chisox lienup

plus hes got more HRs and more RBIs then jeter - but dye doesnt add heart to the sox the way jeter does for the yanks - plus if u consider that the yanks had alot of set backs and jeter had to step up as leader - i think that makes him more valuebale then dye - not taking away form what dye has done b/c if u compare the numbers each split right down the middle

dye - R 91 HR 40 RBI 110 SB 7 AVG .325
jeter - R 97 HR 12 RBI 86 SB 29 AVG .343

they each have a claim for MVP but IMO i would say jeter gets it over dye - unless chisox go farther in the playoffs then the yanks
Daywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:55 PM   #6
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalker View Post
dye shoudl get some legitimate consideration no doubt - hes right in the middle of that deadly 3-4-5 spot in the chisox lienup

plus hes got more HRs and more RBIs then jeter - but dye doesnt add heart to the sox the way jeter does for the yanks - plus if u consider that the yanks had alot of set backs and jeter had to step up as leader - i think that makes him more valuebale then dye - not taking away form what dye has done b/c if u compare the numbers each split right down the middle

dye - R 91 HR 40 RBI 110 SB 7 AVG .325
jeter - R 97 HR 12 RBI 86 SB 29 AVG .343

they each have a claim for MVP but IMO i would say jeter gets it over dye - unless chisox go farther in the playoffs then the yanks
Remember that the voting is over before the playoffs even start. We'll see what happens. I have a feeling Ortiz's sympathy votes because of last year is going to cost Jeter the trophy.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:01 PM   #7
devlinboy
Official Thread Killer

this has to go to jeter, he is the heart and soul of that team..ortiz had some great clutch hits, but hes been quiet recently and hes a dh. jeter is the total package. dye has been sneaking up but i dont think he is going to beat out jeter.
devlinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 03:58 PM   #8
nolilia
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

David Ortiz before he got health issues.
nolilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 07:13 PM   #9
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devlinboy View Post
this has to go to jeter, he is the heart and soul of that team..ortiz had some great clutch hits, but hes been quiet recently and hes a dh. jeter is the total package. dye has been sneaking up but i dont think he is going to beat out jeter.
Definitely, if the season ends today he's the MVP. We'll see how this last month plays out.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:17 PM   #10
madjazz
Defender of The Defenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolilia View Post
David Ortiz before he got health issues.
That's why MVP is for the Season and not just a few month's stretch. He's a great player, though, and I hate seeing quality players on the sidelines.

Not long ago, MVP was neck-and-neck between Ortiz and Jeter. Now that Ortiz has bowed out, I think it is clearly Jeter. As General says, there is still a month left and a lot can happen.
madjazz is offline   Reply With Quote