Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 09-09-2006, 10:48 AM   #1
nolilia
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Ryan Howard for NL MVP?

What do you think guys? His stats right now is overwhelming.

56 HRs (and counting)
130 plus RBIs
Batting ave of around .306

I observed lately he's getting a Barry Bonds treatment (not that "thing"). I mean doing the intentional walk a lot of times when he's at bat. I watched the game between Phillies and Astros a couple of days ago. Tied at 2-2, he got an intentional walk leading off? That says something about the guy. I would considered right now he's one of the most feared hitters.

Do you think he deserves it?
nolilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:16 AM   #2
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolilia View Post

56 HRs (and counting)
130 plus RBIs

I observed lately he's getting a Barry Bonds treatment (not that "thing"). I mean doing the intentional walk a lot of times when he's at bat. I watched the game between Phillies and Astros a couple of days ago. Tied at 2-2, he got an intentional walk leading off? That says something about the guy. I would considered right now he's one of the most feared hitters.

He's easily the MVP IMO. Beltran had it in the bag a month back but it's safe to say the MVP race is over. Howard is probably going to hit 60+ and might drive in 150 rbi and he might finish batting over .300. Only guy that can screw him is Beltran and unless he has one of those ridiculous clutch stretches like Ortiz has had in the past I don't think he should get it. The Met's line up is stacked - All Howard has is Utley and Rollins. Cards are limping into the playoffs so unless they heat up and Pujols at least hits 50+ I wouldn't give it to Albert either.

Howard is MVP.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:33 AM   #3
devlinboy
Official Thread Killer

as much as i hate to say it, i think he will win mvp. i still think that beltran could sneak in and get it, but in reality you could argue that reyes is just as important to the mets as beltran. i wish it was a met gettin the mvp..but i dont think they will overlook howards #'s the guy is having a monster year. if he was on a 1st place team we wouldnt even be having this talk.
devlinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
Daywalker
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

also dont forget that if u r a great palyer on a team with nobdoy u wont rank as high in th eMVP voting as u would if ur on a team that is all prodcuing and ur standing out - so beltran might get more consideration then u mihgt expect b/c he is on a team with several other stars where as howard is pretty much carrying the team himself
Daywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:43 AM   #5
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devlinboy View Post
as much as i hate to say it, i think he will win mvp. i still think that beltran could sneak in and get it, but in reality you could argue that reyes is just as important to the mets as beltran. i wish it was a met gettin the mvp..but i dont think they will overlook howards #'s the guy is having a monster year. if he was on a 1st place team we wouldnt even be having this talk.
Very true bro and I appreciate the fact your not they typical Met fan.

I agree, Reyes is just as important probably more than Beltran. Beltran needs to at least take one of those offensive categories to get the MVP IMO and I don't see him taking over the RBI lead and he's definitely not catching him Howards HR total. I also agree that if the Phills were in 1st or the Phills had control of the wild card there wouldn't even be a doubt. BUT since everyone has Met fever including the media you never know how they will vote. It would be a crime not to give Howard the MVP. JMO
Old 09-09-2006, 11:49 AM   #6
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolilia View Post

56 HRs (and counting)
130 plus RBIs

He deserves something for the tremendous year he is having. The MVP should go to the player who has had the greatest impact on their team. Unfortunately his numbers haven't helped the Phillies at all since they are what, 20 games back. They should rename this award to the Most Greatest Player and then it wouldn't even be in doubt. But Valuable? Even this guy couldn't helpt the Phils. If Beltran doesn't get it it should at least be close if you bring the value factor in.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:16 PM   #7
Daywalker
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

the other thing is that beltran is pretty much a lock or comeback player of the year so that might also take away from him wining the MVP
Daywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 01:00 PM   #8
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalker View Post
the other thing is that beltran is pretty much a lock or comeback player of the year so that might also take away from him wining the MVP
Very true. I think that Reyes is not helping Beltran either. I can't see Howard not winning it.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:02 PM   #9
devlinboy
Official Thread Killer

people love the home run hitters so howards going to get some votes just cause of that.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:04 PM   #10
devlinboy
Official Thread Killer

ill tell you who is not gonna get it...lol milledge..what a lazy bum ive never seen a young player that egotistical. every time he catches a ball i wince its like he doesnt care about being in the bigs. yeah hes got upside, but if it was up to me i would have dumped him for some pitching.