Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 11-24-2008, 02:34 PM   #21
bane
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
That's the thing. Not everyone experiences their hobby in that manner. You'd probably be astounded how many people like to remain anonymous with their possessions. It's not a character flaw. It's a choice they're extremely comfortable with.

For them, simply owning it is likely reward enough. Many view the showing off of it all as unbecoming, petty, and attention-seeking. While privacy is clearly not the case with many collectors, it is for some. Who are we to judge what they wish to do with their collections?
True words in my opinion , I have a few friends who's collection I love but they don't showcase it anywhere on the net .
I've never looked at it as showing off but I think that has a lot to do with it .

As to the example with the car and jewelry , some people buy a car because they want to be seen in that car and parade in it , others buy that car just because they like it and don't care what other people think of it .
bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:40 PM   #22
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
That's the thing. Not everyone experiences their hobby in that manner. You'd probably be astounded how many people like to remain anonymous with their possessions. It's not a character flaw. It's a choice they're extremely comfortable with.
Oh, I understand being like this. But these are the collectors who I assume have NOTHING posted on CAF. I've got no issue with not showing off what you own.

Quote:
For them, simply owning it is likely reward enough. Some might view the showing off of it all as unbecoming, petty, and attention-seeking. While privacy is clearly not the case with many collectors, it is for some. Who are we to judge what they wish to do with their collections?
Which supports my "embarrassed" theory.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:41 PM   #23
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bane View Post
True words in my opinion , I have a few friends who's collection I love but they don't showcase it anywhere on the net .
I've never looked at it as showing off but I think that has a lot to do with it .

As to the example with the car and jewelry , some people buy a car because they want to be seen in that car and parade in it , others buy that car just because they like it and don't care what other people think of it .
Yep, but in neither case would they NOT show it to someone for one reason or another.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:43 PM   #24
3tdanger
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khazano View Post
Yup, but its usually stuff I'm planning on selling.

Same here.
3tdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:46 PM   #25
Sinatra VonDoom
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.
Adamantium Plus Member

I understand what risingstar & bane are saying, there are personal details I keep personal for those reason. The thing is, this section of the forum is probably my favorite place online. I enjoy seeing peoples art, and hate the dry spells. I think it's give and take here, I post my stuff because I like to see other peoples.

I collect for myself, not to post it. If anyone is buying anything just to show it, and not because it brings them joy to look at...thats just strange.

If someone doesn't want so show there stuff that is cool and I respect that. But you seem to be a little harsh talking about those who do.
Sinatra VonDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:59 PM   #26
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

I think there a +/- to having a CAF gallery and the - far outweigh the + IMO.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:16 PM   #27
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinatra VonDoom View Post
I understand what risingstar & bane are saying, there are personal details I keep personal for those reason. The thing is, this section of the forum is probably my favorite place online. I enjoy seeing peoples art, and hate the dry spells. I think it's give and take here, I post my stuff because I like to see other peoples.

I collect for myself, not to post it. If anyone is buying anything just to show it, and not because it brings them joy to look at...thats just strange.

If someone doesn't want so show there stuff that is cool and I respect that. But you seem to be a little harsh talking about those who do.

Goodness, that was not my intention. I must apologize if anyone felt that way. Sometimes inflections are lost and posts come off a bit too direct (inadvertently!).

This is an excellent section. Some of the artwork people have shown over the years have been really nice. Even if people buy just to post (for whatever reason), that's okay too. They're just excited.

risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:18 PM   #28
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
I think there a +/- to having a CAF gallery and the - far outweigh the + IMO.

What's your theory, Bullsy?

risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:26 PM   #29
Sinatra VonDoom
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Goodness, that was not my intention. I must apologize if anyone felt that way. Sometimes inflections are lost and posts come off a bit too direct (inadvertently!).

This is an excellent section. Some of the artwork people have shown over the years have been really nice. Even if people buy just to post (for whatever reason), that's okay too. They're just excited.

No problem man. Always like to hear your opinion, you always say what you feel.
Sinatra VonDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:37 PM   #30
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
What's your theory, Bullshy?

I'm shy and hate sharing my artwork lol.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote