Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 11-26-2008, 12:32 AM   #21
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

good points ... ratchet, does his site say anything about the format and nature of the commissions?

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:33 AM   #22
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
Well.....he did say inked "picture", which to me indicates something which is printed one way or another. If he had said inked piece, inked page, inked pencils...I could see the problem. It's very possible this is just how he works.
So you're saying that because he said picture that I shouldn't have a problem?

The fact that he says "inked" should be the keyword - not "picture". People call art "pictures" all the time! This is definitley misleading...

Are you saying that I should be happy with a printed copy?
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:36 AM   #23
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
So you're saying that because he said picture that I shouldn't have a problem?

The fact that he says "inked" should be the keyword - not "picture". People call art "pictures" all the time! This is definitley misleading...

Are you saying that I should be happy with a printed copy?
Well, sometimes "inking" is done on a computer, just as coloring is. All it really means is shading is done to a piece and it's not just lines/pencils.

I don't know if you should be happy, per se, but I think it's important to know if it was simply miscommunication on someones end or if he was purposely misleading.

Regardless, if you don't want the pieces (which I can understand), explain your side and see what you can do.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:38 AM   #24
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
It depends who the artists is. I'm sure some guys are just known to work like this. At the same time, if he was contacted through his website, it may say on there someplace that this is how he works? I don't know, I'm just guessing here
It does not say anything on his website - I had to contact him by commenting on one of his posts and then he emailed me from that. I wasn't sure I wanted to out the guy until I heard back from him - but this is the site:

http://seespotdraw.blogspot.com/

The last 3 posts are all things he did working on my piece - the top post is my supposed commission. I can't see the finished product completely - but...

I don't know this is all so confusing...
Old 11-26-2008, 12:45 AM   #25
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Looks to me like he sketches in pencil, then scans the piece into the computer to digitally "ink" it, which seems to be a tracing of the original pencils. I think what this means is your $100 is going to get you the original pencil (at least it should) along with a digital or printed version of the "inks".
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:45 AM   #26
patrickwm68
The Flash

Quote:
It does not say anything on his website - I had to contact him by commenting on one of his posts and then he emailed me from that. I wasn't sure I wanted to out the guy until I heard back from him - but this is the site:

The last 3 posts are all things he did working on my piece - the top post is my supposed commission. I can't see the finished product completely - but...

He charged you $100.00 for that?
patrickwm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:49 AM   #27
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickwm68 View Post
He charged you $100.00 for that?
Haven't seen the total piece yet - but yeah - his prior stuff looked a lot better than this. I guess I will see what is going to happen here - I will keep you guys posted as usual. But at thei point I'm definitely feeling ripped off...
Old 11-26-2008, 12:51 AM   #28
patrickwm68
The Flash

Quote:
Haven't seen the total piece yet - but yeah - his prior stuff looked a lot better than this. I guess I will see what is going to happen here - I will keep you guys posted as usual. But at thei point I'm definitely feeling ripped off...
Have you seen Chris Uminga's stuff? I think he only charges like $60.00 per character and they come hand drawn, inked, and colored.
patrickwm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:54 AM   #29
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickwm68 View Post
Have you seen Chris Uminga's stuff? I think he only charges like $60.00 per character and they come hand drawn, inked, and colored.
I think I have seen a few of his - how do I get in touch with him? I may need a pick-me- up after this ordeal...
Old 11-26-2008, 01:15 AM   #30
HoldyourfireAl
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:

I looked at his work and...I just don't know what to say...? $100?!?!?

HoldyourfireAl is offline   Reply With Quote