Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 05-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #11
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I missed #0 but have #1 on hold. I'm very excited about this series, and I've been completed turned off by Marvel series after Age of Ultron and Infinity, both of which were trash IMHO. But Jason Aaron is a consistently fantastic writer (though his Hulk was a miss) and I'm a fan of Deodado's work, especially after Dark Avengers.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #12
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I missed #0 but have #1 on hold. I'm very excited about this series, and I've been completed turned off by Marvel series after Age of Ultron and Infinity, both of which were trash IMHO. But Jason Aaron is a consistently fantastic writer (though his Hulk was a miss) and I'm a fan of Deodado's work, especially after Dark Avengers.
An over exaggeration don't you think? I can understand if someone didn't like those series or thought they could have been handled better, but "trash"? I take a term like that to mean there is absolutely nothing of value to be found. I agree that nothing of real significance happened in those story lines, but I was still thoroughly entertained. They both had good dialogue and interesting premises. That isn't even mentioning some incredible art work. "Trash"? I think not.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:20 PM   #13
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
An over exaggeration don't you think? I can understand if someone didn't like those series or thought they could have been handled better, but "trash"? I take a term like that to mean there is absolutely nothing of value to be found. I agree that nothing of real significance happened in those story lines, but I was still thoroughly entertained. They both had good dialogue and interesting premises. That isn't even mentioning some incredible art work. "Trash"? I think not.
But he said "IMHO".
metroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:41 PM   #14
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
No, IMHO, not an over exaggeration. They were trash, again, IMHO. Great art can't save a crappy story, IMHO (am I being clear enough that this is IMHO?), and these both were trash in terms of plot and story. I'll grant some of the art was great, but that's not enough to make me buy the TPBs or HCs after having read and disliked the comics.

I was not entertained, dialog was poor/dull, I thought the premises and stories completely derivative, and despite some good art they had no redeeming value as a serialized visual story.

To be clear, I've enjoyed work that all the creators involved in these have produced. But not the case with these two events.

Trash, IMHO.

Last edited by wktf; 05-10-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:02 PM   #15
Luminous
Cyclops

So no matter how poor the reasoning it's okay as long "IMHO" is attached. Got it. Just my IMHO btw.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:08 PM   #16
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
So no matter how poor the reasoning it's okay as long "IMHO" is attached. Got it. Just my IMHO btw.
So you think or are stating that my reasoning is poor? What I tell my children is that different doesn't mean wrong necessarily, just different. Describing my reasoning as "poor" feels unnecessarily insulting, as it is IMHO and based on my own subjective preferences.

And I wasn't stating your reasoning was poor, either. Just that I hold a different opinion.

Last edited by wktf; 05-10-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:45 PM   #17
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
So you think or are stating that my reasoning is poor? What I tell my children is that different doesn't mean wrong necessarily, just different. Describing my reasoning as "poor" feels unnecessarily insulting, as it is IMHO and based on my own subjective preferences.

And I wasn't stating your reasoning was poor, either. Just that I hold a different opinion.
That's an excellent point and I actually agree with it. However, I was trying to point out the exaggerating terminology that you used to describe those particular story lines. I don't think you're wrong for not agreeing with my opinion of the stories, nor do I think you're wrong for not enjoying them. I simply think that when people use words like "trash" or "garbage" to describe something it had better deserve such insulting terminology. I find that things described in such a manner are usually reserved for things that are universally panned and have absolutely ZERO redeeming qualities.

Your defense for my argument seemed to simply be "it's my opinion, so I am not wrong". Sorry, but opinions can most certainly be wrong. While you're free to dislike whatever you want, I just think it's a disservice to anyone reading your comments to throw out exaggerated blanket statements like "it was trash".
Old 05-10-2014, 04:44 PM   #18
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

It was trash to me. I meant no disrespect or disservice to anyone who holds a different opinion. But I disliked them intensely, even to the point (to my "derivative" comment pertaining to Infinity) to finding them insulting for charging me money and delivering a derivative story.

While I certainly agree that opinions can be wrong, especially when they're uninformed, in the matter of the arts personal preferences drive opinions. And for someone to find a piece of art to have no redeeming value, and to hold that opinion while also respecting the opinions of others, is not wrong.

Last edited by wktf; 05-10-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:55 PM   #19
Mad4Busts
Husband-Father-Collector

I thought the Ultron story was boring as well...
Mad4Busts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:55 PM   #20
Mad4Busts
Husband-Father-Collector

Civil War still stands as the best mega-event marvel has done in a long while.
Mad4Busts is offline   Reply With Quote