Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 08-24-2014, 11:30 PM   #41
s_paulik87
Green Lantern Corps

I agree with replicant. Just put auto bid on and set your max final bid. Not like it would jump to 5 mil at the end. It would have ended at the highest bid of another plus another dollar to win or whatever the amount it auto bids over.

Unless I don't understand sniping services or something idk.
s_paulik87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:01 AM   #42
Bobfrog
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I use ebay fairly frequently and sniping has saved me a whole lot of time and money where its relevant to use it (big ticket items only as a guide).

Sure you can easily put in your max bid right at the start of the auction but that imho wouldn't be the clever thing to do for various reasons. And of course if you put in the highest bid out there then certainly it doesn't matter if a snipe comes in during the last 10 seconds if it's less. That's just black and white logic. I wasn't questioning that but the fact that Replicant was making out the people who snipe don't really want an item. That's all.

Not going to go into it in detail (maybe google it if you're going to bid on a big ticket item anytime soon - you could save yourself some dosh) but put simply it's just another way of auto bidding but with sniping you can specify the time when the bid is placed e.g. last 3 to 5 seconds of the auction (which is what seemed to happen in this auction - it's real easy to do a manual bid but if I were about to bid circa $3m for an item I really wanted I don't know if I'd rely on the timing of my laptop and connection versus using a sniper which , for me have worked 100% of the time i.e. placed the bid, I haven't won that much of course). As mentioned the main benefit is that it stops you from exceeding your maximum that you've set yourself and secondly gives the counter bidder no time to respond and raise their bid i.e. you don't get into a bidding war.

Maybe I shouldn't be telling you guys this if you're happy to use the auto bidder though
Bobfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:15 AM   #43
s_paulik87
Green Lantern Corps

Don't worry I'm not into buying on ebay lol. I just never really understood the "sniping" process if ebay auto bids up to your max bid automatically if you get out bid. When I do buy on eBay I usually wait for the last 10 min and then place my max bid and just watch it go up until that point.
s_paulik87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:28 AM   #44
Bobfrog
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Well defo look into it if you're gonna bid on anything like a statue. Bidding your max bid in the last ten minutes is fine but if you think about the psychology of the person on the other end then they may go above their previous 'max' bid if you outbid them and they decide they must have it even if it is more than they previously decided was reasonable to bid. I know I've done it a few times (nothing too big though). There's a lot of irrational people out there especially when it comes to collecting stuff!

I use auctionsniper and it costs like 10c per bid (only if you win). Don't quote me on that though.
Bobfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:57 PM   #45
built2shred
Phoenix

I've sniped many times on statues on Ebay... it doesn't allow anyone else to counter it if you go past their max bid...

Now selling statues is a different story, I've decided to move away from auctions because I've been burned to many times by snipers... So I usually do a high price with best offer option..
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:50 PM   #46
dino76m
Kindly Asked To Leave

well, another one has turned up on ebay, this time from my country India,,, thinks its a scam ,lol
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261574108185...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
dino76m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:15 PM   #47
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino76m View Post
well, another one has turned up on ebay, this time from my country India,,, thinks its a scam ,lol
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261574108185...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I thought these were suppose to be rare
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote