Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 08-27-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
Bangalf
Doh!

The Perks of Being a Superhero Fan

Hi Guys,

I’m new to the forum, so I hope this is the right place for this post.

I’m a student and comic book fan from Germany and I’m currently doing some research for a school project on superhero fandom in the U.S. I’m particularly interested in the appeal of superhero comics and how fans express their devotion to the genre. I’ve read much of the material that already exists on the topic, and during my studies abroad, I attended conventions and went to comic book stores where I could make some observations concerning fandom; also I had the opportunity to make friends with fans that helped me to get an insight into American fandom. Nevertheless, I would like to read more opinions/personal stories. This forum seems like the right place to read about your experiences and interact with multiple fans at once. Aside from being a big contribution to the project, it will be fun to hear about everyone’s fan lives.

To get the whole thing going, here are some questions that should cover what I’m personally interested in:

1. For how long have you been a fan of superhero comics? How did you start? How did yo get your first book?
2. Why are you a fan of superhero comics (what is appealing about them)? Are you loyal to one publisher (DC, Marvel etc.)?
3. Fans often show a great deal of devotion to their favorite characters and books that goes beyond mere reading. Do you pursue any activities aside from reading (e.g. attending conventions, cosplaying, watching documentaries, reading background material etc.)? What does that add to your fan experience?
4. Do you pursue certain “rituals”? (e.g. going to your local comic book store every Wednesday) Is it important to you to buy books at a certain store? why?
5. Being a comic fan is, in a way, a two-sided hobby. First, you have to read stories, and then, you can go on and discuss them with peers: How important is it for you to meet other fans and talk to them about superhero comics? Where do you meet them? (e.g. online, in stores etc.)
6. Do you talk to people outside of your circle of “comic book friends” about comics?
7. Do you collect comics as well, or do you just read them? Please provide reasons for one or the other. What’s your stance on digital comics? Are you a completist?
8. Do you collect merchandise/artwork? Why?
9. If you think about all your superhero related activities, what would you say, how much time do you spent with that hobby and what significance does it have in your life? What do you like about being a fan?
10. Do you follow the work of certain creators more than others? If there's the possibility to meet creators do you go to their signings/talks?
11. How do other people react to your interest in comics? Have you had any bad experiences?
12. Is there anything you don't like about superhero comics/being a fan?

That’s a lot of questions, and hopefully it’s not too much to ask for. However, if you don’t want to reply to these questions in order, feel free to see them as a vague guideline to start the discussion. I’m grateful for every answer. If you want to elaborate on a particular aspect, or have something to share which is related to the topic but not covered by the questions, then please go ahead. The most important thing for me is to have a fun and insightful discussion that will expand my knowledge on superhero fan culture. In case a question is not clear, just ask and I’ll try to explain it.

If you’d like to know more about the project, just shoot me an e-mail or a message, and you’ll get details.

I’m looking forward to your answers. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Bangalf is offline   Reply With Quote