Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Artist's Alley

Old 02-27-2007, 11:59 PM   #11
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

The problem is that original art takes time. Time=money and materials.
What an artist chooses to charge for their time,materials and effort defines that artist.
Some people don't like the prices I quote, but I didn't accumulate a $30,000 school loan for fun. I'm a professional artist, and professional artists are growing on trees. If you can get an artist to do a job for $50 when I'd quote a project for $300, great....by all means do so. There are many other clients who'll approve my initial quote. They know that in the end you get what you pay for. And really good artists who underprice eventually suffer for it.
Competitive pricing is fine but if you sell yourself short, you'll never make it.
armitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:25 AM   #12
batman1180
Captain Marvel

Prints all the way.
batman1180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:36 AM   #13
Perna
Budda Budda Bamfer!
Artist

Original Art!!!!!
Perna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:31 AM   #14
moon_knight1971
Rescue

I have a few signed prints and they look much better than original most con sketches I have seen. I'm also looking at some original art by people I don't even know but the pieces look great too. What to do? Where do most of you guys go for original art or prints BESIDES cons?
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:53 AM   #15
snappahead
Producer
Producer

There's a big difference between regular OA and con sketches. Con sketches aren't suppose to be masterpieces...ok Adam Hughes' sketches are, but for the most part, they're meant to be simple. Commissions or published art will be alot better, but cost alot more. If your'e simply looking for an image that you like to display, then only you can choose which is better. Just like with OA, there's cheap prints and expensive ones. For original art I'd say try here http://www.comicartfans.com/

To the left is a bunch of links to dealer sites and there's a ton of art for sale in the "art for sale" section at the top. It's a great site and the best place I can think of to start.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:05 PM   #16
endsongjen
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

i always get prints. the only original stuff i have is from armi!!!
endsongjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:27 PM   #17
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappahead View Post
There's a big difference between regular OA and con sketches. Con sketches aren't suppose to be masterpieces...ok Adam Hughes' sketches are, but for the most part, they're meant to be simple. Commissions or published art will be alot better, but cost alot more. If your'e simply looking for an image that you like to display, then only you can choose which is better. Just like with OA, there's cheap prints and expensive ones. For original art I'd say try here http://www.comicartfans.com/

To the left is a bunch of links to dealer sites and there's a ton of art for sale in the "art for sale" section at the top. It's a great site and the best place I can think of to start.
Thanks snappahead! I'll check it out....
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:35 PM   #18
TheJoker
The Doh! has to go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_knight1971 View Post
Help me guys! I'm think of displaying my statues and busts with framed art work behind or above them. I see that some original art can be had at cons etc. from about $20 from artists trying to get in the field. The problem with orig. art is that its usually pretty rough and not colored AND you have to be at the con. I've seen some very nice prints for about $10 that are signed and colored. What is the general attitude towards prints for those that collect art?
Prints are NOT original art and if you want to display the convention art by all means display.... i think having the orginal art and displaying it next to a statue is a pretty cool concept... but stay away from prints and your statues... the only exception i would have to say to this Giclee's cause those are nice so if you have any i would display my statues under said character/s
TheJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:19 PM   #19
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by endsongjen View Post
i always get prints. the only original stuff i have is from armi!!!
See, here's someone who can appreciate real art!
armitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:22 PM   #20
boondocksaint
Painter / Troublemaker
Producer

i want thet brooks mary jane print! anyone help me!!!!!
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote