Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-03-2018, 10:30 AM   #1311
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanesg View Post
Explain further how it's not like collecting Hot Toys and complaining about fabric. Who is creating all the characters Hot Toys is in 1/6 scale and fully sculpted?

I should go to the XM thread and complain there's no mixed media on their pieces because I like it.
Difference is you don't buy XM. I buy Sideshow. In fact, 75% of my huge collection is Sideshow.

Another difference is that I don't look down on you because you like fabric. Can't say I'm getting the same consideration from you.

With this being said, I'm going to cease anymore conversation on this topic with you. I can see you're just attempting to start another argument, so I am going to politely step out.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:35 AM   #1312
Shanesg
Green Lantern Corps

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMRogue View Post
Hot toys is a doll. Not sure many people would expect a fully sculpted doll of that nature.

SS clothing is an optional design decision. The same looks could be made in full polystone.
If you want to call anything with a tailored costume a doll, than Sideshow makes dolls too. I have a huge collection of sideshow dolls. The large majority of my collection has mixed media because like I explained before here and in many other threads, IT'S WHAT SIDESHOW DOES. I have the Nathan Drake PF and it's fabric from his neck to his ankles and it's one of the nicest looking pieces I own. If you don't like it, I don't know why you would be interested in Sideshow to begin with.
Shanesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:39 AM   #1313
XMRogue
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
If you want to call anything with a tailored costume a doll, than Sideshow makes dolls too. I have a huge collection of sideshow dolls. The large majority of my collection has mixed media because like I explained before here and in many other threads, IT'S WHAT SIDESHOW DOES. I have the Nathan Drake PF and it's fabric from his neck to his ankles and it's one of the nicest looking pieces I own. If you don't like it, I don't know why you would be interested in Sideshow to begin with.
I’m not saying putting clothing on something makes it a doll. I’m saying hot toys makes dolls because that’s what they simply are. The bodies are not sculpted and typically interchangable between several pieces. The clothing choice is to cover the endless seams and bolts needed to keep the doll flexible for different poses. This improves aesthetics over what it would look like if they went with the action figure route and the clothing was folly molded in plastic. The bolts and seams that are visible like wrists and sometimes elbows are unsightly.

I also buy both Sideshow and XM. In fact to date I’ve bought more Sideshow than XM.

Not all SS has mixed media. My Angel Comiquette didn’t have clothing at all.

Northern point that we are held hostage by licensing is also true. If I want a decent quality Rogue statue at 1/4 scale crafted within the past decade, SS is my only option.
XMRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:44 AM   #1314
Nebulhym
The X-Men

Quote:
Sideshow built their brand around mixed media statues. It's what drew me to them years ago because they were doing it better than anyone else... and still are. I don't like fabric for everything and Sideshow has learned what works in fabric and what doesn't. This jacket is the perfect example of what does.

Complaining that sideshow has mixed media would be like starting to collect Hot Toys and then complaining about the same thing. It's what they do.
I fully understand that this is SIdeshow's signature.

And I actually like the fabric on the 1/5 line, like say the MOTU line.

I guess it's the scaling up, it just makes the statue look cheaper, like they had no time and money to do the cape or piece of clothing. It's all perception, that's true, but on a large piece, I personally find it unforgiving.

Look at the Phoenix or Psylocke PFs, everything is sculpted. Would you have liked them so much had the sash been fabric? Well a jacket or a cape is that much more noticeable.

In the end, I understand what they are doing, but like some other companies, they could always offer the choice. Yes, it's more work and money, but if prime 1 can do it, why couldn't SS?
Nebulhym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:51 AM   #1315
Shanesg
Green Lantern Corps

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMRogue View Post
I’m not saying putting clothing on something makes it a doll. I’m saying hot toys makes dolls because that’s what they simply are. The bodies are not sculpted and typically interchangable between several pieces. The clothing choice is to cover the endless seams and bolts needed to keep the doll flexible for different poses.

I also buy both Sideshow and XM. In fact to date I’ve bought more Sideshow than XM.

Not all SS has mixed media. My Angel Comiquette didn’t have clothing at all.

Northern point that we are held hostage by licensing is also true. If I want a decent quality Rogue statue at 1/4 scale crafted within the past decade, SS is my only option.
Comiquettes didn't have mixed media to begin with. At one time, the "premium" in Premium Format was the mixed media. Through trial and error Sideshow has learned over the years that not everything works in mixed media and now they sculpt what looks best sculpted and for things that look better in fabric, they put the cut and sew team to work. I don't expect everyone to like mixed media, but it doesn't make sense to expect Sideshow to stop doing it when it's been such a large part of their history.
Shanesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:53 AM   #1316
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

All I know with mixed media on this piece, if I buy her. First thing I do is put the scissors to that jacket. Mix media on a statue makes it a man doll imo.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:57 AM   #1317
XMRogue
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Comiquettes didn't have mixed media to begin with. At one time, the "premium" in Premium Format was the mixed media. Through trial and error Sideshow has learned over the years that not everything works in mixed media and now they sculpt what looks best sculpted and for things that look better in fabric, they put the cut and sew team to work. I don't expect everyone to like mixed media, but it doesn't make sense to expect Sideshow to stop doing it when it's been such a large part of their history.
I don’t think they should stop doing what they like doing. They will gain and lose sales based on who likes or dislikes mixed media. I’m sure the market for their work is large.

I personally wouldn’t buy a large floppy cloth cape but it wasn’t the jacket that made me ultimately pass on this Rogue. It was her hideous face that made that decision for me here.
XMRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:02 AM   #1318
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Thing is, while a lot of people love it, a lot of people hate it too.
I love it when it looks good and hate it when it looks bad lol. I've never had a mixed media piece but my biggest concern is always quality of material used.
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:03 AM   #1319
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Sideshow built their brand around mixed media statues. It's what drew me to them years ago because they were doing it better than anyone else... and still are. I don't like fabric for everything and Sideshow has learned what works in fabric and what doesn't. This jacket is the perfect example of what does.

Complaining that sideshow has mixed media would be like starting to collect Hot Toys and then complaining about the same thing. It's what they do.
Quote:
I should go to the XM thread and complain there's no mixed media on their pieces because I like it.
Thats actually a very good point, lol.
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:04 AM   #1320
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraFan View Post
But you had to destroy the heads once the new one was sent by Sideshow. They always request pics to show that you destroyed it.....
Generally they do.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote