Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > What If?

Old 10-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
I don't like Secret Invasion because it was fake Spider-Woman. But I love Superior Spiderman, probably because Spidey is not a favorite of mine. Other then the original Ultimate Spidey, I never bought Spidey and now I do. So if they are screwing with your favorite character maybe it stings to much to enjoy.
Right after I posted this, I thought about you and Spider-Woman. I remember really feeling for you after you'd bought all that Secret Invasion art, and then it turned out that it wasn't really the character you thought it was. Ouch. Did you ever get rid of those pages?
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #12
risingstar
Jedi Order

Hmmmm... The pissed off moments in comics.
As I was a huge Spidey fan for years, most of my issues are Spidey related

Not in any order
1) The way they "killed" off the Hobgoblin in issue 289. So unnecessary. That Ned Leeds mess. Hobby was a great villain at the time and it was massacred...
2) One More Day -- 'Nuff said. Magic with no rules.
3) The Harry Osborne Green Goblin. Never liked the idea at all. People can't just become a major super villain from one issue to the next.
4)The clone saga. Every second of it, dating back to issue 144.

In general:
5) The endless "back from the dead" storyline in comics.

6) Death of Superman bugged me. It wasn't even interesting.
7) The She-Thing. - Oy vey.
8) The Green Lantern Spectre baddie. WTF
9) Every time Joker is taken back to Arkham for rehabilitation. If any city in the US should have the death penalty, it should be Gotham.
10) Peter and MJ marriage. Why go there? Did it add that much to the character's story arc?
11) When there were literally millions of mutants in the world.
12) Iron Man in civil war. What a putz
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #13
protector2814
Phoenix

One More Day was the biggie for me. I was very angry at Marvel for erasing the Spiderman I'd invested so much time, emotion (yes, I'll say it), and dollars into. I loved Peter & MJ's marriage. I loved how it worked, I loved how he kept webslinging after, I loved the whole relationship. Then it was just puffed away. But .... too many liberties were taken w/ the character by hotshot writers ... & all had to be rebooted.

I also hated the outing of Matt Murdock as DD. Waid seems to be picking up the pieces, but I hated that arc and felt very betrayed by the writers trying to out-tragic Frank Miller.

There are plenty more, but these are my two main bugaboos.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #14
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Hmmmm... The pissed off moments in comics.
As I was a huge Spidey fan for years, most of my issues are Spidey related
What an awesome list. Thanks, RS!

Quote:
1) The way they "killed" off the Hobgoblin in issue 289. So unnecessary. That Ned Leeds mess. Hobby was a great villain at the time and it was massacred...
Way to reach back, man! I remember being upset with this too. It didn't make me write the book off by any means, but I didn't like it. Seemed like a wasted opportunity.

Quote:
2) One More Day -- 'Nuff said. Magic with no rules.
Beyond that, to me it was just narratively faulty. Just awful. Like I said, it was a sign of how tired we fans were by the whole state of the books that we didn't make an even bigger fuss.

Quote:
3) The Harry Osborne Green Goblin. Never liked the idea at all. People can't just become a major super villain from one issue to the next.
Never cottoned to this either, but I don't remember not believing it. I just didn't want Harry to be a loser in yet another way.

Quote:
4)The clone saga. Every second of it, dating back to issue 144.
I actually loved the end of the first clone saga--when Peter has to ask himself how he'd know if he were the clone...but that should have been it.

Quote:
5) The endless "back from the dead" storyline in comics.
Indubitably. 'Nuff said.

Quote:
6) Death of Superman bugged me. It wasn't even interesting.
ITA. Man, that was a letdown. Made me start buying Supes books again for a while, though, which I guess was the point.

Quote:
7) The She-Thing. - Oy vey.
This, I sort of liked, in a wow-comics-is-goofy sort of way.

Quote:
12) Iron Man in civil war. What a putz
Amen. But even worse? Teen Tony. Good lord, what a terrible idea. It was the only thing that Heroes Reborn was good for.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #15
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

The creation and continued existence of Red Hulk. There is no point to the character. Enough with all Hulk knock-offs already!!!!!!!!
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #16
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
The creation and continued existence of Red Hulk. There is no point to the character. Enough with all Hulk knock-offs already!!!!!!!!
I really thought that Red Hulk would go by the wayside by now. When comics used to do silly crap like this, they'd depower those characters at some point so they weren't laying about, reminding all of us of their lameness.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #17
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

All the stupid variant covers that Marvel and DC keep putting out. They go away for a few years and then one of them starts doing it and the other follows suit. Pure money grab and nothing else. (I will have to say that I do think the Skottie Young covers are cute, I'm just not going to pay extra or get more than one copy of a comic just to get the cover).
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #18
patrickwm68
The Flash

I started feeling it around the Civil War, Secret Invasion days. I got fed up with these huge crossover events that expanded multiple titles and produced countless unnecessary miniseries. And it wasn't just Marvel it was DC too. Forcing the readers to buy titles they normally wouldn't get so they wouldn't miss any parts of the storyline. I just got sick of spending $200+ a month on comics.
patrickwm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #19
Babytoxie
Ghost

The return of Jean Grey in Avengers #263/FF #286. What a BS retcon. Take a moving character death and have it mean absolutely nothing.

Death of Superman & Knightfall: a one-two punch of sensationalistic crap from the early '90s. If only the writers would have tried harder, each could have worked, but DC was more concerned with the publicity. Two heroes, each with an extensive list of villains from which to choose, and we're instead saddled with two completely new half-assed villains. These storylines were insults to the rich history of each character.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #20
moon_knight1971
Rescue

When Wolverine lost his edge. Don't know the specific issue this started happening but I'm pretty sure it was righht around the time the 1st X-MEN movie was released. The Wolverine I remember was mysterious, ruthless but not needlessly violent person with a samurai type code of honor who happened to be Canadian and wear a cowboy hat. Now he's running a school, is on every flagship team book and his core values have become much more mainstream imo. It's like he used to be on the outter edge of society but now he's right in the middle of it. Not sure if that makes any sense but he's definitely lost his edge.
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote