Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 10-25-2017, 09:57 AM   #461
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

The Girl from the Other Side, Siuil a Run, vol. 1 7/10

Written and drawn by Nagabe
There are two worlds, the inside, where the humans live and the outside, where monsters called outsiders live, it's belived that outsiders can curse you with just one single touch. In our fairytale for a more mature audiance, there are humans who are in fear and as a result of this, they do monstrous things and there is a monster called teacher who is gentle and nice. There is this stark contrast the humans are monstrous and the monster is very gentle and good. There was an abondened town because of the outsider invation where Teacher found a little girl who was left behind and Teacher started to take care of the little girl called Shiva. The story revolves around the father doughter relationship between them.

I don't want to give spoilers but the human soldiers' chase of the little girl shiva in the forest to kill her just broke my heart, shiva is bearly 7 years old at most... Poor little girl. A good example of how fear can make humans act in really really monstrous ways... And i don't think this fear is even for right reasons. I don't think that everything that told about outsiders are true.

The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:02 AM   #462
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Black Butler, vol.2-3 8/10

It's good. I liked the comedy routine between the other servants and Sebastian and how Sebastian saved the day as a butler and more in the end. But what really amazed me was the origin of Madam Red which was told in a chapter in the begining of the volume 3. It was brilliant, so sad... Poor woman suffered alot. This didn't make her actions ok in anyway though, nothing could make that. What she did over and over again was just so horrible... That chapter and the all of the story involving Madam Red really made me feel like i got the worth of my money. I really recommend this manga to every one.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:22 PM   #463
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Punisher Marvel Knights Omnibus by Garth Ennis 8/10

I had really good time reading this book. It's all just some work of fiction, no real human beings are hurt in this book so no problem. It's all just some a little bit psycho good old fun.

Ennis says at the begining of the book that it's a back to basics kind of approach to The Punisher which means street level crime stories with alot of violance, gun action. What works pretty good with Punisher as far as i can see. There are some very over the top parts ofcourse but i enjoyed the book overall.

The book's more adult compared to the Batman books or any other super hero, anti hero books. I heard that Marvel Knights titles were more adult anyway and that is true as far as i can see. lol There are kind of cops in this book that you will never see in a Batman book first of all. A Loser cop, cops being mean to other cops, plain insensitive cops, female cops who were forced to sleep with commissioners by commissioners and a female cop who was labeled as a disgrace by the departmant cause she rafused to sleep with her commissioner and assigned to an impossible case like Punisher task force to catch Punisher with our mega loser detective Soap. You won't see any of those in Batman. Well, i have never seen anyway, and there are alot of blood in MK Punisher, Punisher is darker yet has more humor, the dark humor, my kind of humor lol pure Ennis goodness and i compare it to Batman cause Batman is the book which has cop characters and it is involved with cops as much as Marvel Knights Punisher. Detective Soap was just so funny... Poor guy, you feel sorry for his misserable life but laugh at the same time. It all turns out well for him in the end though... lol that may change with different point of views but i think Soap was happy in the end so all is well. lol

What would happen to the three vigilante that inspiared with Punisher was kind of obvious, i guess. After All Punisher works alone and he saves a bullet for himself, if the job is ever done but the job will never be done, the Punisher's way is not the right way to stop crime and Frank seems to know that. He just does it cause of revenge and i like to think that Frank knows that revenge is wrong but what he does is not about doing the right thing. It's revenge. lol The last part comes from my mind, i have never seen that's said in any Punisher book. (i haven't read many Punisher btw... Just Ennis MK Omni and the first trade of Ennis Max Punisher... my Punisher: Back to War omni is on its way too btw ) The three vigilante was kind of different views about The Punisher. The Holy was the serial killer, Punisher is considered as a serial killer by some, Mr. Payback was the people's defender, the underdog and poor's defender against the rich, big corporations Punisher and The Elite was rich elitest guy who sees poor people as scums and kills them. They are 3 different views about Punisher by people.

The mean mafia bose woman (i can't remember her name lol) at the early parts of the book had it pretty bad in the zoo and later on in her own mansion. The Darth Vader moment she had was funny. I think i like the Punisher against Mafia the best.

And the really crazy and funny part of the book... The Russian... lol He's the founder of the Daredevil fan club in Russia, you know... lol How Punisher handled him for the first time was just so perfect. '' Welcome to America '' indeed... lol The Second Coming of the Russian was hilerious too... lol with two giant boobs... lol he loved his boobs, even insisted scientist to make them bigger... lol Punisher and Spider-Man teamed up to stop The Russian... lol it was pretty much like Punisher using unconcious Spider-Man as meat shield... lol The criminal millitary base island was cool. The General who ran that place was sadistic but kind of bad ass man. He didn't die ! I hope Ennis kept him for Max series. I would love see him in Max Punisher again.

The part with the gay cheriff was cool. How he stood up for his town in the end and all was cool. That story kind of touched the subject of homophobia. It was nice to see the book get a bit socially conscious.

The little people mafia was hilarious... lol Ennis really humiliated Wolverine in that story. lol Wolverine is my favorite Marvel character but it was too funny... I'm not angry at Ennis or anything, i think it was a creative approach to how Punisher can hadle Wolverine case. lol Daredevil, Wolverine and Spider-Man wanted to put a stop to the Punisher in the end... That was so funny. Especially Wolverine taking the wrong train in the end... Ennis really had his fun with Wolverine, DD and Spidy. lol

The last part, ''Punisher Kills The Marvel Universe'' issue was good too. A good what if Punisher story. I think Ennis has kind of a soft spot for Daredevil. He was the one who got the least humiliation in The MK Punisher too.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:07 PM   #464
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Finished the Locke and Key series over the holidays. It was phenomenal and I can't recommend it enough.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:25 PM   #465
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Absolute Death.

I have the Absolute Sandman volumes but just picked this up as well. No surprise, it’s excellent!

9/10. Would have made it 10/10 if there was more story content vs features, but it’s all gold.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:13 PM   #466
protector2814
Phoenix

Just finished the Marvel, Mark Millar' Wolverine Omnibus ... again. Damn, Millar can write & one can really read what a template Millar has been for a lot of the Marvel cinematic u. The 1st 2/3rds of the Omni. reprint the entire Wolverine-taken-over-by-the-Hand story & it's just a thing of beauty ... which is capped off by The Old Man Logan story. What a movie the Wolverine/Hand/X-Men/Marvel-U arc would make with Hugh playing The Wolverine one more time.

This story has just about every A&B&C player in the MU & it all works.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:31 PM   #467
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Jerry, I loved “Enemy of the State” and have it in the two Volume HCs. I also have “Old Man Logan” in an oversized HC and like it less, but, at the same time agree it’s one of the really good and solid models, along with Future Imperfect, for a distopian Marvel Future.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:51 AM   #468
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Black Butler vol. 4-8 by Yana Toboso
8/10
The Circus adventure was very good. The Second time the manga really imperesed me.
These words from Ciel really made me think:

''You Fought to protect your own world, there is nothing wrong with that. After all, the justice in this world is a sham created by those in power for themselves. No one gives a damn about anyone else. If you are careless, you are sure to lose. To begin with only two kinds of humans existed in this world. Those who rob and those who are robbed. And today, i shall rob you and your allies of your futures. That's all there is to it.''
Ciel Phantomhive

Words of the aristocrat of evil. Not bad for a shouta Pretty cool words huh ? Not entierly true though, especially what the circus memebers did to protect their world... That was really wrong... But they were really desperate too... :/ But there is some partly truth to the Ciel's words...

Wolverine: Sabretooth Reborn by Jeph Loab & Simone Bianchi

6/10

It's a continuation of Wolverine: Evolution story by the same creative team. Here, they try too much to shock you with what they add to Wolverine's history with Weapon X program... They really wanted to shake the Wolverine fans to the core with this story but it didn't achive that for me... I was more like this better be not true... lol And in the end the explanation was everything that they added to the Wolverine's history in this story might not be true, it is unknown, all these might be planted false memories in to Wolverine's brain and stuff... (they better be... lol) And this makes reading the story kind of a waste of time cause there isn't really a conculusion. Wolverine absurtly quits chasing Creed. He was like, i can't let that maniac in to the world again... Then he just lets him go in the end... lol And everything added to Wolverines history might be just bull---- that there is not clear explanation, if the memories are true or false makes it kind of really waste of time... Even if there is anyone who shocked by what they added to the Wolverine's history got robbed from that shock by how things left unclear...

Simone Bianchi's art is amazing btw.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:57 AM   #469
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Wolverine Origin II 6/10

It was ok. Wolverine left the civilisation and lived with wolfs, then Pychopat Dr. Essex's freak experimant which is a polar bear killed all the wolf family of Wolverine... And then some circus people cought wolverine and used him in their show... lol like nightcrawlar, he was circus freak for a while too after all. Dr. Essex made an offer to circus owner to bring the Wolverine to make some experimants on him... That was painful for Wolverine for sure too but nothing new, if you read Weapon X. So it doesn't bring anything new to the table. All this made the foundation of Sabretooth vs Wolverine rivalery. Wolverine met with Sabretooth, he was working with circus people and helped them to catch Wolverine but even in the end of the book, the hate between them was not there, they were not at a vendetta position yet... This means you kids better be get ready for Origin book III... lol And i wasn't a big fan of the first one to begin with. It was a mix of a Tom Cruise's ''far and away'' film and classic story ''the secret garden''. Who knows what they ripped off in this second installment lol and it was very short...

Old 01-31-2018, 07:30 PM   #470
Babytoxie
Ghost

Hellboy Library Edition, vols. 1 - 6

I'll revisit Mike Mignola's Hellboy until the day I die. The concept is great, and it integrates so many elements of comics that I love. While I've been a fan of Mignola's art since his early days at Marvel, his plotting and writing on this series was a nice surprise. It lost direction for bit around the time that the movies were released, but things refocused and came to a great conclusion.

I still have all my trades and one shots, but when I found that my city library had the entire series in the oversized hardcover library editions, I checked out the whole set and almost threw out my back lugging them home. Now that I've experienced Hellboy in this format, I may end up buying my own set. The art is even more impressive at this size, and the construction of the books is amazingly sturdy. There are lots of so-called "deluxe" hardcovers out there for $50 or higher that are nowhere near this level of quality, so these are truly a good deal.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote