Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 12-31-2017, 07:57 PM   #1
protector2814
Phoenix

What's Been Your Favorite comic Run of 2017?

I'm sipping champagne with my family, reading comics, son's cooking dinner .... & I got to thinking about all the great comics that hit in 2017. There were some great runs. Think about it, what's been your favorite run from the last year? Throw in a runner-up or 2 if you choose. No single issues. 5 plus issue run. I'm gonna stew on it & will let you know mine soon.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:57 PM   #2
Gothamite
Phoenix

Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:43 AM   #3
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

1. The Mighty Thor
2. Star Wars (Jason Aaron’s core title)
3. Superman
4. Batman

Last edited by wktf; 01-01-2018 at 01:53 AM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:17 AM   #4
ratchet
Mandarin

Batman
Mister Miracle
Thanos
Venom
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:21 AM   #5
protector2814
Phoenix

1) The DC/Hanna-Barbera' Future Quest Books/Presents gets my #1. From the initial 12 issue run teaming pretty much everyone from the 1960's HB Cosmic & Adventure cartoons against one giant threat, to the current "Presents" , Jeff Parker/Phil Hester written 1 & 2-parters exploring team-ups, w/ covers by Steve Rude, Olivetti, etc... This rebirth of the HB Sci-Fi U thru DC has just been so much fun! The Space Ghost/Green Lantern team-up might be my fave. issue of the year.

2) Iron Fist by Ed Brisson - He's given too much credit, imo, for reinventing the character when, I've noticed, all he's really done is return Danny Rand's iron Fist to his 70's roots, but he's done it very well & in ways that make me feel Brisson must love the character. Iron Fist has been stripped of a lot of Brubaker' baggage in the new launch, & it's been great so far.

3) Reborn by Mark Millar & Greg Capullo - 6 ish mini which I feel qualifies as a run. This book dealing with a possible afterlife & what happens to an old lady after she dies & wakes up young in a violent, supernatural world, was pure fun & very fresh.

4) Mister Miracle by Tom King - Not flowing as intriguingly as last year's The Vison, still King's take on Scott Free & the repercussions of cheating death has been a very interesting ride. Straight up 9-panel pages w/ different but honest art by Mitch Gerads. I'm staying with this book which I can't say for every comic that started w/ a bang in 2017

Honorable Metion - Skybourne by Frank Cho. He's completely dropped the ball on finishing this damn book but the art is just so beautiful & there's monsters & demons & knights & Merlin & gorgeous women ... so, I forgive him.

& Big shout-out to DC's The Kamandi Challenge, all 12 issues of it which finished this past week. I've heard rumors that this might lead to a new ongoing Kamandi book so we'll see. Loopy, crazy, ruined-earth fun with tons of talking animals, hybrid & plant creatures, robots, ships, etc .... loved the challenge & while I'm talking DC' Kirby stuff, 2017 was The King's 100th b-day & I loved every Kirby' salute books I read for DC last year. All were fun!
Old 01-01-2018, 12:31 PM   #6
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
2) Iron Fist by Ed Brisson - He's given too much credit, imo, for reinventing the character when, I've noticed, all he's really done is return Danny Rand's iron Fist to his 70's roots, but he's done it very well & in ways that make me feel Brisson must love the character. Iron Fist has been stripped of a lot of Brubaker' baggage in the new launch, & it's been great so far.
Wait a munite...

You didn't like Brubaker Iron Fist ? Are you kidding me... how can you not like Brubaker Iron Fist, that run is phenomenal... I mean Iron Fist was a B lister nothing before that run at least for me. He was a joke... But that run changed my mind, i was like damn this is a good run... I was like this is even better than almost everything i read about Batman for sure and that's alot coming from a Batman fan like me. I can't believe someone diss that run... You are saying Iron Fist was good before Brubaker ? if you say that, you are nuts dude... lol
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:42 PM   #7
protector2814
Phoenix

Sorry, not a fan of the Bru. Hold on to your hat .... I didn't care at all for his DD. Semi-enjoyed his Cap run.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:47 PM   #8
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Sorry, not a fan of the Bru. Hold on to your hat .... I didn't care at all for his DD. Semi-enjoyed his Cap run.
I haven't read his DD or Cap run, but i plan to... But my hat is gone dude... it's blown away sky high like a rocket when you dissed Brubaker Iron Fist... I mean i love that run so much... i know it's kind of fanboyish to lose it on someone not liking the run you love but it was so phenomenal... how can someone not like that run.... I can't believe this...
Old 01-01-2018, 12:55 PM   #9
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
Wait a munite...

You didn't like Brubaker Iron Fist ? Are you kidding me... how can you not like Brubaker Iron Fist, that run is phenomenal... I mean he was a B lister nothing before that run at least for me. He was a joke... But that run changed my mind, i was like damn this is a good run... I was like this is even better than almost everything i read about Batman for sure and that's alot coming from a Batman fan like me. I can't believe someone diss that run... You are saying Iron Fist was good before Brubaker ? if you say that, you are nuts dude... lol
I couldn’t stand Brubaker’s Iron Fist. To me it was an incomprehensible train wreck, right up there with Grant Morrison’s run on Batman.

Goes to show you, even great writers work on titles they just don’t get. Despite his run on Cap and DD, Iron Fist was awful. Waid and Aaron, also stellar writers, failed on Hulk. It happens.

And to thought he was a B list writer? His run on Cap is maybe the best ever, right up there with Stan Lee, Steve Englehart and Mark Waid (first run).

Last edited by wktf; 01-01-2018 at 01:02 PM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:04 PM   #10
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I couldn’t stand Brubaker’s Iron Fist. To me it was an incomprehensible train wreck, right up there with Grant Morrison’s run on Batman.

Goes to show you, even great writers work on titles they just don’t get. Despite his run on Cap and DD, Iron Fist was awful. Waid and Aaron, also stellar writers, failed on Hulk. It happens.

And to thought he was a B list writer? His run on Cap is maybe the best ever, right up there with Stan Lee and Steve Englehart.

Sorry,i made a grammer mistake in my english. What I meant was Iron Fist was a B lister charater, a joke before Brubaker's run. That run was so good... me and my friends talked about nothing but Brubaker Iron Fist for a year long or something... Our minds were blown away. I can't believe you don't like Brubaker Iron Fist... You old timers' tastes are different from me for sure. I mean i just read Giant Size X-Men number 1 and it was ----, i can't believe anyone praises that thing... lol