Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 01-12-2018, 01:43 AM   #21
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philintheblank View Post
No, it's not the first, but all of these are at least 10 years old and the only one I consider holding any weight is Blade...maybe Spawn. None of them can hold a candle to Black Panther as far as historical value. Black Panther has a 50 year following...first black superhero...it's not just about diversity. This holds historical significance and I think a good portion of the hype is due to that.
Exactly. He’s wealthy, a supreme martial artist strategist and tactician and, oh, yeah, he’s the king of a major (albeit fictional) nation. He’s taken down the FF singlehandedly and saved The Avengers on a number of occasions. He took down The Red Skull singlehandedly and brutally when the rest of The Avengers lay defeated. He’s a noble, widely respected character with nearly as much Silver Age history as Marvel’s other big hitters. I’m ecstatic he’s appeared in Civil War and his leading his own film. I can’t wait to see this.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:52 AM   #22
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
...i don't care about the comics Blade in colorful costume with a wooden commando knife, that is cringeworthy... lol)
Wow, seriously? “Cringeworthy”? Have you never read Tomb of Dracula? The series many comic book scholars refer to as the single best comic book series of the 1970s? Blade, the original Blade, is not cringeworthy. He’s as tragic, badass and deadly as The Punisher and on just as singleminded a mission as well. And I’m not sure what “colorful costume” you’re referring to. Blade from that series, where he originally appeared and in which he was a long time character, may have wielded wooden knives (which kill vampires, by the way) but didn’t wear a costume in the traditional comic book sense.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:52 AM   #23
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philintheblank View Post
A lot of those adults were kids when Black Panther came out or sometime afterward and from what I understand he was a huge deal to them back then. Definitely broke the mould. I think this and the kids now seeing this character represent them is part of the spike in popularity. You have to remember, it's the first meaningful solo superhero film starring someone of African descent in the feature role in some time. It's also a largely black cast and releasing in the middle of Black History Month. It's a pretty big deal to a lot of people.

There's also the Marvel hype...which surprisingly hasn't seemed to wane much over the years. I'm not THAT excited to see it, but I'll probably be there, as I usually am.

He's also just a bad ass character. How could you not want to see Black Panther on the big screen?
All those points are pretty much what I assumed some of the early hype was about, and to be honest, I’m very happy that the character is reaching people. That is fantastic.

I guess I’m analysing from the story perspective. To me it looks like a ctrl-c, ctrl-v of things we’ve had before. But like RisingStar said earlier, maybe it’s just comic book movie fatigue.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:58 AM   #24
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Wow, seriously? “Cringeworthy”? Have you never read Tomb of Dracula? The series many comic book scholars refer to as the single best comic book series of the 1970s? Blade, the original Blade, is not cringeworthy. He’s as tragic, badass and deadly as The Punisher and on just as singleminded a mission as well. And I’m not sure what “colorful costume” you’re referring to. Blade from that series, where he originally appeared and in which he was a long time character, may have wielded wooden knives (which kill vampires, by the way) but didn’t wear a costume in the traditional comic book sense.
this costume... lol

1970s comics usually don't do it for me. I rearly like the old stuff... The last disaster that i read considered great was Giant Size X-Men 1... and it was bad. Back then standards were very low. I read a blade comics that got canceled at early 2000s but that was heavly influanced with the films so i was ok. But I will never read something that looks like this... lol I sweared to myself that i won't get in to another (choose a better word next time) thing. I have enough of them in my life lol so with his green pants, red jacket and green glasses... lol and wooden knifes... only a 5 years old would think cool, he's not for me. What the hell... wooden knifes ?!?!? are you kidding me... lol why do you carve them at the shape of knifes lol.... don't regular stakes kill vampires... No, they have to be at the shape of knifes... oh man... this is so cringy... lol

Last edited by JadeGiant; 01-12-2018 at 10:36 AM.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #25
RichBamf

Quote:
1970s comics usually don't do it for me. I rearly like the old stuff... The last disaster that i read considered great was Giant Size X-Men 1... and it was bad. Back then standards were very low. I read a blade comics that got canceled at early 2000s but that was heavly influanced with the films so i was ok. But I will never read something that looks like this... lol I sweared to myself that i won't get in to another retareded thing. I have enough of them in my life lol so with his green pants, red jacket and green glasses... lol and wooden knifes... only a 5 years old would think cool, he's not for me. What the hell... wooden knifes ?!?!? are you kidding me... lol why do you carve them at the shape of knife lol.... don't regular stakes kill vampires... No, they have to be at the shape of knifes... oh man... this is so cringy... lol
While I one hundred percent disagree with you, I can appreciate that some of the older comics might not appeal to a younger audience, regardless of how timeless I think they are. Re-reading Giant Size X-Men 1 is pretty painful, even I admit that.

I'm only 34, but there are runs of of comics published before my reading time that I adore. Kirby and Lee's FF for example, or Claremont and Byrne's X-Men, or Wolfman and Perez's Titans, these are comics that ran before I could read, but I love them dearly. They are iconic runs. While there are lots of modern runs I adore too, these are seminal in my opinion.

Joe is right though, Tomb of Dracula is considered one of the greats, and is almost revered (even though for some reason it never appears on most top ten creative runs, much like Ostranders Suicide Squad). They try and straddle the modern 70's Hammer movement whilst paying a massive homage to the classic Universal horrors works and do so incredibly well in my mind.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:54 AM   #26
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
While I one hundred percent disagree with you, I can appreciate that some of the older comics might not appeal to a younger audience, regardless of how timeless I think they are. Re-reading Giant Size X-Men 1 is pretty painful, even I admit that.

I'm only 34, but there are runs of of comics published before my reading time that I adore. Kirby and Lee's FF for example, or Claremont and Byrne's X-Men, or Wolfman and Perez's Titans, these are comics that ran before I could read, but I love them dearly. They are iconic runs. While I there are lots of modern runs I adore too, these are seminal in my opinion.

Joe is right though, Tomb of Dracula is considered one of the greats, and is almost revered (even though for some reason it never appears on most top ten creative runs, much like Ostranders Suicide Squad). They try and straddle the modern 70's Hammer movement whilst paying a massive homage to the classic Universal horrors works and do so incredibly well in my mind.
I haven't read the 70s Tomb of Dracula... So i don't say it's bad but i don't have high expectations for sure.

I only talk about the Blade covers that i saw that made me cringe... But it seem you disagree with me even on the wooden knifes about them... lol so be it.

-----edit

I liked Stan Lee's Silver Surfer for example. But Fourth World, New Teen Titans, Uncanny X-Men and Neal Adams Batman Omnibuses that i read were all bad or medicore...(i couldn't make it to the end of them... And I'm still reading The Uncanny X-Men Omnibus vol. 1 and if it doesn't get any better soon, i will probably drop it too... it's medicore so far.) So i kind of lost hope for old stuff lol but i don't say all of them are bad. I just have low expectations.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:01 AM   #27
RichBamf

Quote:
I haven't read the 70s Tomb of Dracula... So i don't say it's bad but i don't have high expectations for sure.

I only talk about the Blade covers that i saw that made me cringe... But it seem you disagree with me even on the wooden knifes about them... lol so be it.
Oh, no the wooden knives are a bit silly! Maybe I ninety nine percent disagree

Just to be clear though, totally respect your opinion not to like all that stuff. Everyone can't like the same things
Old 01-12-2018, 11:11 AM   #28
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
Oh, no the wooden knives are a bit silly! Maybe I ninety nine percent disagree

Just to be clear though, totally respect your opinion not to like all that stuff. Everyone can't like the same things
Thanks. I respect your opinions too.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:08 PM   #29
Meta Jon
Daredevil

I've almost zero interest in the character and little interest because of that to see the movie, I'll see it on blu ray when it comes out only to keep up on things before Infinity War.
For as long as I've collected & read comics I can't remember a single issue I've read with BP in it, just not a character I am concerned about, but I know many feel differently
Although he was well portrayed in Civil War, I was not at all impressed with Guardians 2 and wish I could have gotten my money back for that one
Meta Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:52 PM   #30
protector2814
Phoenix

I remember being a little kid back in the early 70's & was riding downtown on a bus w/ my school class for a fieldtrip. I was reading a copy of the Black Panther & he was on the cover (not sure which issue or book). Anyway, two African American guys were sitting on the row next to me when, & I remember this, one young guy said "Little man, can I see that comic you're reading?" I passed it on over & both guys, maybe in their 20's, just couldn't stop talking about it. They seemed proud of it to me then, as I'm sure they were. The guys flipped thru the pages & I remember hearing them talk about how they'd never seen a black super-hero before. They both got off after handing me back my comic & saying thank-you & I remember thinking then, in my young grade-school mind, that that was important.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote