Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 02-23-2013, 02:44 AM   #151
Doctor Doom
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhulk27 View Post
I guess no one is going to answer my previous question.
I ordered this through URBAN COLLECTOR which also has it slated to come out next month. I have not seen it available anywhere else brotha. Sorry...
Doctor Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:54 AM   #152
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoCougar View Post
Well, your sculpts are always awesome. But I'm talking about there being no light up feature (which I guess hasn't been confirmed/not confirmed as being there yet), and there being no clear plastic for a light up feature to shine through like previous releases. Is the paint application even as metallic as the others, or did it get dulled out like the character paint did?

You know, basic cost cutting stuff while raising the overall price to make a bigger profit off of, yes, a lousier made product than what's come before.
A light-up feature is nice, but it's not essential. After purchasing statues with this feature, I can tell you (1) you will not use it nearly as often as you think, and (2) it becomes one more thing that can stop working, and then the hassle of fixing it. The paint appears to have changed from a metallic finish to something more matte, but this is something you really have to judge in person. I tend to place more emphasis on the paint application and competency than the actual shades selected.

Bottom line: I understand your concern as a consumer and fan, but let's ease up on the doom and gloom until the statue is in hand!
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:55 AM   #153
demonhunter
Kingpin

Yes, the light up feature for the visor would have been very cool. But, light up feature is never a main attraction for me. I hardly light up any of the Koto statues I have.
demonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:36 AM   #154
redhulk27
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Doom View Post
I ordered this through URBAN COLLECTOR which also has it slated to come out next month. I have not seen it available anywhere else brotha. Sorry...
No I meant that cornerstorecomics.com has them available to ship saying the item is instock. I know the difference between preorder and when an item is instock ready to ship. I talked to rep she told me they were available to ship even though I explain that the item isnt suppose to release. Your above statement doesnt make sense to what I was asking . I Know where I can preorder this already too.you can preorder at that place, bbts.com, urban-collector.com, kotus store, local comic shops, ebay,amazon. should i mention more.
redhulk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:37 AM   #155
DiscoCougar
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomur View Post
A light-up feature is nice, but it's not essential. After purchasing statues with this feature, I can tell you (1) you will not use it nearly as often as you think, and (2) it becomes one more thing that can stop working, and then the hassle of fixing it. The paint appears to have changed from a metallic finish to something more matte, but this is something you really have to judge in person. I tend to place more emphasis on the paint application and competency than the actual shades selected.

Bottom line: I understand your concern as a consumer and fan, but let's ease up on the doom and gloom until the statue is in hand!
I'm not complaining, I'm just answering the question as to why this statue is more expensive than any of the previous releases. Sosa then replied to me about the base not being cheaper, and so I clarified that while his sculpts are always top notch, Koto is in fact cutting back on the DRS quality to make a bigger profit by getting rid of the lights and paint app.

No doom and gloom here, but not seeing that Cyke is turning the DRS quality into something less polished is to be living in denial.
DiscoCougar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #156
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoCougar View Post
No doom and gloom here, but not seeing that Cyke is turning the DRS quality into something less polished is to be living in denial.
I don't live in the Nile.

And I maintain that's a bold and ignorant statement to make BEFORE the actual statue is in hand. Wait till it comes out to evaluate its true quality. Blurry expo pics from a distance shouldn't be used to give a final ruling. Of course, if you're bent out of shape that lights weren't included, this statue will never impress you as you've already made up your mind.

I can't deny your concerns about the DRS line... this is my favorite series by far and I don't want to see the quality decline. I've had similar outbursts against Sideshow for maximizing profits at the expense of quality with recent releases like Rogue, Psylocke, and Spider-Woman. However, while SS has made it a trend of late, this one statue from Koto hasn't even reached most consumers on these boards. Patience!
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #157
gonk
Kotobukiya Rep
Producer

The SRP designated for Cyclops was not an attempt to "cash in" on the popularity of the Danger Room Sessions. As Erick mentioned the price went up $10 to accommodate the size, complexity and necessary paint applications for the base.

As for a potential light-up feature we did explore this option. In the end it was decided against since the price for this piece would have increased even further.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #158
DiscoCougar
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Thanks for the reply Gonk!

I think people are reading my comments about this statue as if I'm trying to troll it and/or Koto as a company, which is not my intent at all. It's just that how can anyone see the final production piece pictures of Cyke and not see that the metallic blue paint is absent (let alone any metallic paint on him), as well as the light up feature being absent, and not think that this figure is a step down from previous releases? Colossus was huge, but he didn't get a flat grey paint application for his metal skin to save on price. So I don't get how someone can say that the base being huge is a reason for a price increase while getting rid of the other features like light up, paint, and the cheap looking visor even (and I'm not arguing for a light up base, I'm just saying getting rid of it AND upping the price at the same time shouldn't have made you get rid of other things as well).
DiscoCougar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #159
supermetroid
Teen Titans

I just wish the production sculpt was exactly the same as the proto. I don't see why they had to change the face/visor. And yeah, the paint should be more metallic, but it still looks pretty good.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #160
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post
The SRP designated for Cyclops was not an attempt to "cash in" on the popularity of the Danger Room Sessions. As Erick mentioned the price went up $10 to accommodate the size, complexity and necessary paint applications for the base.

As for a potential light-up feature we did explore this option. In the end it was decided against since the price for this piece would have increased even further.
I am grateful for your honesty. Though a light-up feature would have been very nice; your concern for bringing affordable pieces to consumers is greatly appreciated. Keeping an average in price makes buyers and sellers very happy. It is good for business. And good sales allow for new products in the line to be produced. At the end of the day, everybody is happy.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote