Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 07-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #21
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
If they made everything open then the posters should go for $5 max therefore destroying the business, the reason why they price the posters so high is because of their limited nature and the amount of work needed to make screenprinted posters. Many of their customers would stop buying from Mondo since they would have no resell value at all.
So you're suggesting that the current price point for Mondo prints is mainly due to their "exclusivity"? It has nothing to do with the paper they're printed on, the artist commissioned to draw the piece, the paints used on the paper, the licensing fee, or the entire printing process itself? No you're right, $5 should cover all of that.

No one here suggested they change their printing process. Merely the way they make these posters available to the public. Mondo's business should do just fine if they made the most popular posters on a made to order basis. The only ones affected by a change like that would be the flippers. And quite honestly, they're probably the only ones who could complain. Let's not forget that 9000 + edition size of this Olly Moss Dark Knight print pretty much proves your last point wrong. Their customers came out in droves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidgit View Post
Yeah. It's weirdly ironic. I hate them flippers but it's guys like me that keep them flippin' flippers flipping. Flip it
You just had to add that last flip didn't you?
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:49 PM   #22
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

What do you guys think about Mondo's future? Many times Mondo claimed they couldn't increase production size. Then they said they want the posters limited. Now we see this Dark Knight Rises poster. Maybe this is a once in a while thing and only happened because of the Avengers mess, Mondo wanting to make amends, and WB allowing it. But Mondo has to understand that people will expect big/open editions now for the next big movie like Avengers, Batman, etc. The screen print nature of the Dark Knight Rises poster and Olly Moss' name is the only thing that will cause its value not to drop like a rock. At least to me. I don't think a lot of people knew about the Tyler Stout Star Wars posters before they really took off in price. I'm pretty sure I saw them and didn't care.

My point is if you could choose Mondo doing an open or limited edition to one of your favorite movies by one of their best artists. Which would you choose?

I'm extremely happy with the five Mondo posters I own. If Mondo were to make a poster for Halloween and I got it I would be happy. If that poster was limited to Mondo's average ES I would be extremely happy.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #23
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
You just had to add that last flip didn't you?
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #24
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

hi guys. im not a mondo collector. i do enjoy reading everyones frustrating accounts on how they didnt get the poster they wanted or how awful the checkout process is, whatever. if i was mondo, a company that as far as i know is in the business to make money, id definitely want to print/sell more posters. i do appreciate the exclusivity of posters, limited print runs are exciting to own, but, in itself, will create a secondary market. even though TDKR poster was available for 24 hours, its still limited. right? i wouldnt be surprised to see mondo change their selling tactics. makes sense to me.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #25
ReplicantSavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyrob View Post
if i was mondo, a company that as far as i know is in the business to make money, id definitely want to print/sell more posters.
But Mondo is in the collectible business. It's a bit different than a normal business as almost by definition people get a collectible because it's special and has perceived value. It's similar to comics in how unstable it can be if supply/demand is manipulated too much. You can get X-Men or Spider-Man #1 or limited variant scenarios.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:20 AM   #26
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
But Mondo is in the collectible business. It's a bit different than a normal business as almost by definition people get a collectible because it's special and has perceived value. It's similar to comics in how unstable it can be if supply/demand is manipulated too much. You can get X-Men or Spider-Man #1 or limited variant scenarios.
This poster is collectable and special for the simple fact that if they were bought by collectors those who didn't get in on the action will still be without and have to look to the secondary market for one and have to pay a collector a premium for one. Having said that the number of these sold could easily have mondo increase ES' to 3k mark for popular franchises and artists to try and appease both camps.

The other risk mondo runs is frustrating people right out of the hobby....
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #27
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post

The other risk mondo runs is frustrating people right out of the hobby....

I tried going after a few posters and never even came close, and I was on time on the site too. Rather than invite the type of frustration often seen in Mondo related threads, I opted to simply enjoy looking at the pretty pictures and move on. I don't have to own everything. Besides, I collect enough things!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #28
Awesome

For all of you that want Mondo to make everything an open edition, how the hell is D&L going to handle the load like it won't be a problem? It would screw up Mondo's whole business plans, you can't be printing 5,000-10,000 copies of each separate poster, everybody has to think ahead. Mondo and Sideshow were made with the word 'limited' in mind, if people get sick of the chasing game then go find another company. If Mondo decides to make everything open then it's just another company that sells a product, wouldn't be anything special.
Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #29
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
For all of you that want Mondo to make everything an open edition, how the hell is D&L going to handle the load like it won't be a problem? It would screw up Mondo's whole business plans, you can't be printing 5,000-10,000 copies of each separate poster, everybody has to think ahead. Mondo and Sideshow were made with the word 'limited' in mind, if people get sick of the chasing game then go find another company. If Mondo decides to make everything open then it's just another company that sells a product, wouldn't be anything special.
Since I don't feel like repeating my earlier point I'll just go ahead and quote myself (price replaced by demand).

"So you're suggesting that the main attraction for Mondo prints is their "exclusivity"? It has nothing to do with the paper they're printed on, the artist commissioned to draw the piece, the paints used on the paper, the licensing fee, or the entire printing process itself?"

I am going to start selling old drawings I made when I was 7 years old. Sure the drawings of Ninja Turtles are a bit crude, but if I copy and print 20 of them and sell em for $50 a pop they're going to sell like hot cakes! They're special because they're "exclusive". Who wants one?!!! Only 1 per household.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #30
Awesome

They charge that much to cover costs to make up for money that could have been made with open editions, nobody is going to buy a $100 licensed poster directly from Mondo where 10,000 were made if they can be bought on ebay for $20 since there are so many being put up for sale. With anything, the larger the number out there the cheaper the item will be. Some of you are missing the whole damn point of the limited aspect of collecting.

Why do you think Lamborghini's are so expensive? Answer that simple question and you can finally understand the LIMITED poster and statue business.
Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote