Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2024, 05:23 PM   #1
ukshaun
Hercules

Boxes.. keep them or dump them?

The age old question..

I have reached breaking point.
I have lost 1 entire room in the house to boxes.
I have been contemplating dumping some, not all boxes.

My rational amounts to:
I have zero intention of selling any statue.
I have zero intention of moving house.
I have zero intention of paying for storage.
Why keep the boxes? ..it's not like i ever check out the art-boxes.

The Prime 1 Studio Daenerys Targaryen piece ships in 2 (..or is it 3?) massive boxes. Those boxes have to go!

Some pieces, the JND Harley, the Queen Studio's Ledger Joker, ship in super special boxes, i would keep those. For the majority of the time, the boxes are nothing special. My Hot Toys, i would keep those boxes, as they look nice.

I have reached a tipping point. I would love to get some space back in that room

-

I was watching a live chat, a 1/6th scale live chat, and one of the collectors burns all his boxes. He has no issue with it. Like me, he is in the game until the bitter end!
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 05:30 PM   #2
qz33
Rescue

Dump some statues. At some point you will regret not having any box.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 05:34 PM   #3
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Dump some statues. At some point you will regret not having any box.
eh?

I could keep the interesting art boxes (flat-pack them) and dump the shipper's and polystyrene/styrofoam pieces.
Old 02-21-2024, 05:53 PM   #4
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
eh?

I could keep the interesting art boxes (flat-pack them) and dump the shipper's and polystyrene/styrofoam pieces.
No matter what you plan at some point you will wish to move/sell statues and you will long for the boxes.
Boxes and statues are a package deal. Not enough room for all of one, not enough room for all of the other.

But I agree art boxes are stupid. A few moments glance and never to be seen again.
Old 02-21-2024, 05:55 PM   #5
Asgard
Deadman

I'll be putting all the boxes in the trash soon too.
I have no plans to sell a statue.
And if I do sell a statue, the buyer has to come to me and pick up the statue.
Asgard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 05:56 PM   #6
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
No matter what you plan at some point you will wish to move/sell statues and you will long for the boxes.
Boxes and statues are a package deal. Not enough room for all of one, not enough room for all of the other.

But I agree art boxes are stupid. A few moments glance and never to be seen again.
Some of them are wrecked from the shipping process.
Lady Deadpool took a massive impact. Looks like 3 rods smashed through the shipper, the art-box, the polystyrene. The statue survived in perfect shape!
Old 02-21-2024, 07:32 PM   #7
Kefka2200
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

It’s a hard call. Should the day come you need to sell some, the box will be very important. That day may never come though. It’s really what you want. I can’t bring myself to do it yet.
Kefka2200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 08:36 PM   #8
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefka2200 View Post
It?s a hard call. Should the day come you need to sell some, the box will be very important. That day may never come though. It?s really what you want. I can?t bring myself to do it yet.
See that is where everyone makes the mistake. The day to sell will certainly come. "Oh well after I'm gone"...no, it will come long before that. None of us know for certain what our interests or situations will be at any time in the future.

Family member gets sick and you need any funds available? Yeah you will be chucking statues left and right.

If the boxes truly didn't matter they would already be gone and no need for this question.
Old 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM   #9
Kefka2200
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
See that is where everyone makes the mistake. The day to sell will certainly come. "Oh well after I'm gone"...no, it will come long before that. None of us know for certain what our interests or situations will be at any time in the future.

Family member gets sick and you need any funds available? Yeah you will be chucking statues left and right.

If the boxes truly didn't matter they would already be gone and no need for this question.
That?s very possible. I would say that?s not always the case, so it?s still up in the air for every collector. The truth is we never know about anything. Some people get lucky and don?t have to worry about sick family members.
Kefka2200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 09:47 PM   #10
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefka2200 View Post
That?s very possible. I would say that?s not always the case, so it?s still up in the air for every collector. The truth is we never know about anything. Some people get lucky and don?t have to worry about sick family members.
It is just an example. Anyone could completely change tastes, change hobbies, priorities, downsize living conditions, anything.

For any fairly large collection there is a 99% certainty it will be desired to sell at some point for some reason.

What is 100% certain is statues without all the packaging are much harder to move and get rid of and less valuable to other collectors.