Old 04-11-2023, 08:59 PM   #11
MrYac
Hercules

i think $1200 is my current high.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 11:17 PM   #12
SONICobra
Batman

I should also clarify original art is probably less irresponsible from a financial standpoint because it can be more of an investment. As risingstar mentioned you can spend big bucks on an original piece and the likelihood of you getting your money back in the event you decide to sell is higher than something you commissioned. Commissions are not an investment, so you really have to trust the artist and love their work because that moneys gone unless they use it in something that gets published
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 12:39 AM   #13
ukshaun
Hercules

LOADING: Image(s)

The most i have ever paid for a one off original, was of an oil painting of Harley Quinn

I happened to stumble across the image while searching Google. I then reverse searched the image and discovered the artist / painter.
I then looked into seeing if the painting was available (which it was).
The painting arrived super well packaged, and the frame is high quality. The painting, i love it!

Price: roughly $2487.25
It sounds a lot, it is a lot. When you think of Sideshow Collectibles charging $4500.00 for a diamond dust art print, some perspective is applied.
I once spotted a painting of Harley by Olivia de Berardinis on ebay. The price $55,334.00
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 01:14 AM   #14
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
The most i have ever paid for a one off original, was of an oil painting of Harley Quinn
Cool, who is the artist?
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 04:13 AM   #15
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedDog View Post
Cool, who is the artist?
Pete Humphreys
https://twitter.com/Artypt
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 12:25 PM   #16
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
He does great work. This thread is interesting, getting perspectives on original art as an investment and what people are willing to pay. I visit Jerry Vanderstelt's site every so often to see what may be new and what I'm tempted by. While I have several of his canvas prints, a lot of his original paintings go for $20K+, but some of them are pretty massive.

This painting is 36" x 54"! I got out my tape measure to put against a wall and imagined how cool it would be to own such a huge painting
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 01:00 PM   #17
darren1228
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
oh no not at all, ive been thinking about this specific commission for a couple years. i went back and forth on if i would or not but in the end i knew i would regret not doing it and im really excited to see how it turns out. plus his rates went up since last time so who knows what theyll be next time. this is kind of my last hoorah for expensive art pieces, its just hard to ignore what else you can get for that kind of money

ive found in this hobby (statues, art, collectibles etc) for me at least i have a pretty good sense of what something is worth to me. im curating a collection tailored specifically for me to enjoy for as long as i possibly can and i dont want any regrets. i cant get everything i want of course but as the collection fills out ive been a lot better in really dialing in what i want my collection to look like. i dont have any really pressing life responsibilities right now (kids, wife etc) so im doing what i can while i can
Thanks so much for sharing! I'm married with two kids (and a cat and dog) so I do feel a lot of guilt just thinking about spending this kind of money when common sense says I should put this money towards my family. But family has taken over the majority of my life and I also feel like I want to maintain a small part of me prior to all my added responsibilities.

Maybe this can be the last epic piece in my collection before I really cut down on my happy (wishful thinking??). Thanks again for your advice!
darren1228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 01:02 PM   #18
darren1228
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
10k+ more than once... Yeesh.

Alas, it is the going rate for quality artwork that also is a good investment. I would not spent that much on something I could not resell for more once the time comes. However, I am done with commissions or artwork I do not get to see in advance. Too many negative experiences taking that route.
Haha awesome! Yeah the piece I'm looking at right now is a finished original piece. Sure I could spend less than half that for a commission but what if the final product disappoints?

Thanks for sharing your experience and making feel a little more sane for wanting to buy an original piece.
Old 04-12-2023, 01:05 PM   #19
darren1228
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
i think $1200 is my current high.
Guessing it was a commission piece?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
I should also clarify original art is probably less irresponsible from a financial standpoint because it can be more of an investment. As risingstar mentioned you can spend big bucks on an original piece and the likelihood of you getting your money back in the event you decide to sell is higher than something you commissioned. Commissions are not an investment, so you really have to trust the artist and love their work because that moneys gone unless they use it in something that gets published
Great advice! Thank you!
Old 04-12-2023, 01:07 PM   #20
darren1228
The Masters of Evil

Quote:

LOADING: Image(s)

I happened to stumble across the image while searching Google. I then reverse searched the image and discovered the artist / painter.
I then looked into seeing if the painting was available (which it was).
The painting arrived super well packaged, and the frame is high quality. The painting, i love it!

Price: roughly $2487.25
It sounds a lot, it is a lot. When you think of Sideshow Collectibles charging $4500.00 for a diamond dust art print, some perspective is applied.
I once spotted a painting of Harley by Olivia de Berardinis on ebay. The price $55,334.00
Man...that looks so so so good.
What do your eyes and brain tell you when you have a original painting vs a giclee print in front of you? Is there a lot more to admire with original paintings?