Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 01-12-2018, 02:00 PM   #31
zeus
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Black Panther has a direct tie - in to Infinity war , from what we see in the Avengers trailer. So people are more anxious for BP that the other movies.
zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:02 PM   #32
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
I remember being a little kid back in the early 70's & was riding downtown on a bus w/ my school class for a fieldtrip. I was reading a copy of the Black Panther & he was on the cover (not sure which issue or book). Anyway, two African American guys were sitting on the row next to me when, & I remember this, one young guy said "Little man, can I see that comic you're reading?" I passed it on over & both guys, maybe in their 20's, just couldn't stop talking about it. They seemed proud of it to me then, as I'm sure they were. The guys flipped thru the pages & I remember hearing them talk about how they'd never seen a black super-hero before. They both got off after handing me back my comic & saying thank-you & I remember thinking then, in my young grade-school mind, that that was important.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:16 PM   #33
Mister H
Gen 13

I have doubts about the movie being good, tbh. It’s not that I don’t like the character, it’s that I want BP to be given the respectful treatment he deserves. Yes he’s kind of a Batman copy, but Marvel (was) very good at taking archetypes and expanding on them. BP is one of the best examples of that. IMO, Marvel has been slipping lately in the quality of character development, and I don’t want BP to suffer the same fate as Thor in his movies before he even gets going.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:44 PM   #34
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
I have doubts about the movie being good, tbh. It’s not that I don’t like the character, it’s that I want BP to be given the respectful treatment he deserves. Yes he’s kind of a Batman copy, but Marvel (was) very good at taking archetypes and expanding on them. BP is one of the best examples of that. IMO, Marvel has been slipping lately in the quality of character development, and I don’t want BP to suffer the same fate as Thor in his movies before he even gets going.
What have you seen in the trailers that makes you think it won't be a good movie?
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:05 PM   #35
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
I remember being a little kid back in the early 70's & was riding downtown on a bus w/ my school class for a fieldtrip. I was reading a copy of the Black Panther & he was on the cover (not sure which issue or book). Anyway, two African American guys were sitting on the row next to me when, & I remember this, one young guy said "Little man, can I see that comic you're reading?" I passed it on over & both guys, maybe in their 20's, just couldn't stop talking about it. They seemed proud of it to me then, as I'm sure they were. The guys flipped thru the pages & I remember hearing them talk about how they'd never seen a black super-hero before. They both got off after handing me back my comic & saying thank-you & I remember thinking then, in my young grade-school mind, that that was important.
That is great
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:53 PM   #36
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
What have you seen in the trailers that makes you think it won't be a good movie?
Well, it looks to have a lot of characters for one. Every hero has to have supporting characters of course, but what I want is to have this movie be about just BP. I think Civil War is a good example of what I’m talking about. I know the movie is meant to drive the Marvel universe forward, but if you call it a Captain America movie, then make it about him, not a lot of other characters “and him” as well. BP needs to shine and be in the spotlight. Secondly, I would say the boring (IMO) reliance on cgi and the “slo-mo” effects. The trailer is full of that stuff and I’m getting more than a little bored with being bombarded with it. I really hope I walk out of the theater having to swallow my words because I love the heroes who are “just human” quite a bit.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:00 PM   #37
adee
Green Arrow

Quote:
Well, it looks to have a lot of characters for one. Every hero has to have supporting characters of course, but what I want is to have this movie be about just BP. I think Civil War is a good example of what I’m talking about. I know the movie is meant to drive the Marvel universe forward, but if you call it a Captain America movie, then make it about him, not a lot of other characters “and him” as well. BP needs to shine and be in the spotlight. Secondly, I would say the boring (IMO) reliance on cgi and the “slo-mo” effects. The trailer is full of that stuff and I’m getting more than a little bored with being bombarded with it. I really hope I walk out of the theater having to swallow my words because I love the heroes who are “just human” quite a bit.
He may be human but he still smokes that super herb
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:55 PM   #38
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
To accurately reference the source material, it isn't possible to not have a lot of characters in this movie. In addition to introducing the audience to Black Panther, the nation of Wakanda has to be introduced too with the Dora Milaje and the tribal elders.

As for all the computer-generated imagery, I think that's a necessary evil with these kinds of superhero films.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:39 PM   #39
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
I guess I’m analysing from the story perspective. To me it looks like a ctrl-c, ctrl-v of things we’ve had before. But like RisingStar said earlier, maybe it’s just comic book movie fatigue.
I definitely hear you on the movie fatigue. Part of the reason I'm not jumping out of my seat to to buy a ticket.

Quote:
Very cool.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:51 PM   #40
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:

Cool story...
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote