Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 12-10-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

The Mighty Reviews 12/10/10

Wktf's Reviews

Sorry gang...too rough a week...just couldn't get it done. But, some thoughts I wish I could have expanded on in a full blown review.

New Avengers #7

Damn awesomely funny book. The dialogue between Spider-Man and Victoria Hand alone is worth the price of admission. The selection process for Luke/Jess' baby sitter was an absolute highlight. And mystery abounds with the interactions between Logan and Squirrel Girl (yes, you read that right) as well as Luke and the middle aged looking head of Damage Control. Wong may have had the issue-stealing line, though. Bendis bashers have no place here. He is an absolute dialogue master as he shows in this light and howlingly entertaining issue. And special props to Stuart Immonen for his wonderful art. His work, always so consistently strong, has never looked better. His ability to depict and capture humor really jumps out here, something not usually demonstrated heretofore.

Fables #100

A graphic novel (including how it's bound) of a comic book. Stunning and captivating in every sense of the words. Perfect marriage of word and art. An issue-long battle that's both elegant and absolutely brutal in the end, with even a few twists and turns thrown in. Not to mention some wonderful additional anniversary issue features in this 100 page special. A cannot miss purchase.

Thor #618

Fraction and Ferry have jumped the shark with this issue. No explanation for the return-from-the-dead major character that happens here? Loki simply reborn with no explanation (Thor's lightning brought him back? But, he no longer has the Odinpower and even Odin can't restore the dead) last issue has nothing on this. Not to mention, why is Odin's casket even in Asgard?? Do these guys not remember that Odin was put on a cosmic vessel and sent into the cosmic abyss in a ne0-classic funeral pyre? He wasn't placed in a casket!!! And why should Thor want to crack the casket in the first place? No explanation given. He just walks up to it and strikes it. This series is a train-wreck and a half. The creators are simply taking too many liberties and rewriting past events to serve their needs. To go to, and review, the moment of Odin's death just to set the record straight, try perusing the trade review, below. Sheesh.

Wktf’s Trade Review

Thor: The Death of Odin
Marvel Comics
Written by: Dan Jurgens
Drawn by: Stuart Immonen, with Joe Bennett, Walter Taborda & Jim Starlin

Many have been the storied tales of Marvel’s Thor, god of thunder. Since Stan Lee and Jack Kirby first brought the Odinson to readers he was unique among the pantheon of comic book superheroes. While nearly all of the Lee/Kirby/Ditko creations of the early 60s could make that claim, Thor seemed to represent it best. Unlike others whose powers came from radioactive exposure, personal trauma, mutations or originated from another planet, Thor was truly a god among men. His universe included the Marvel Universe but, even more than Dr. Strange, extended beyond the MU to the strange and wondrous trans-dimensional and mystical regions. Regions of mythology. The world of Asgard with its stunning spires and colorful characters truly was a wholly separate world. And, whether in that world or on Midgard, Thor, albeit begrudgingly at times, answered to a higher authority. The will of the All-Father Odin. Many were the times these two great characters clashed. At times, as in Thor #291, they actually warred against each other. But the love shared between these two was strong and ever did guide them in their evolving relationship with each other. And so, despite the mind boggling and amazing Thor stories created over a forty year period by the likes of Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, and Walt Simonson, and some clunkers created by others, it was the team of Dan Jurgens and Stuart Immonen who rocked Thor and his legion of reader by doing what even Walt Simonson led readers to believe but did not truly do and the creators of Spider-Man stories chickened out of when they brought about the death of Aunt May. They gave us the true, irrefutable death of Odin.

Marvel’s editorial staff, of course, teased this many months in advance. They promised the death of a major Marvel character and, soon thereafter, online polls sprung up asking who this might be. Spider-Man? Captain America? No one guessed Odin. Maybe it’s because Thor didn’t hold the attention of other Marvel characters and, hence, his title’s sad cancellation a few years back. Maybe it’s because Odin was a being of mythology and such an integral part of Thor’s supporting cast that it seemed unimaginable. Either way, no one saw this one coming. With this act Marvel truly shook up and began to unravel Thor and take him down innovative paths no other creative team had gone.

Stricken with a broken arm and jaw from a battle with The Detroyer, Thor seeks treatment from Dr. Jane Foster who suggests that Thor may need the power of the Asgardian healers. Thor whisks himself and Jane to Asgard, to be greeted by the All-Father. Odin’s physicians place Thor in a healing vat which his father imbues with the Odinpower to ensure its healing properties. Unfortunately, while Thor sleeps in this vat, the fire demon Surtur, eternal enemy of Odin, surfaces in Oslo and begins converting mortals to fire demons to bring about Midgard’s destruction. Alerted to this disaster, Odin dispatches The Warriors Three and the rest of Asgard’s army to battle this titanic enemy. Yet, even with the help of Hercules, Beta Ray Bill and Kurse, the odds simply are too great. In the ensuing battle, which finally is joined by Thor in a hopeful burst of thunder and lightning, Odin himself joins the fray. And it is his direct assault upon the fire demon that ends the threat, but at a most terrible cost.

But this trade is not truly about the death of Odin as much as it is about the impact of his death on all of Asgard and, of course, most especially on Thor who seems to follow the tradition patterns of grieving. First is complete shock, a shock shared by all in attendance, quickly followed by anger. Thor moves toward anger and rages against Odin’s physicians and even his closest friends, and the beating he gives his enemy Ulik who dared to utter Odin’s name is swift and severe. Thor stays with denial for a period as he seeks out XXXX of the trolls and then even Hela for proof that his father yet lives. Next comes guilt and depression, where he flatly refuses to assume the role of Lord of Asgard, believing himself unworthy and feeling he had been a continuous disappointment to his father, and spends his days in drunken seclusion. But finally he does move toward that final phase of acceptance and even hope. And it is here that Thor takes action in a direction that was new and fresh, no small feat for a 40 year old character.

This story is painful to read, and not because we know the path Thor follows as a result of his tragic lack of judgment created from Odin’s separating his human from his godly essence, thus fracturing his psyche. It is painful because Jurgens and Immonen give us a powerful tale told with respect and deep emotion. And the art. Well, Immonen really goes all out here. Odin is regal and powerful. The full page spread of him riding into battle, golden armor gleaming and red cape flowing, on his chariot pulled by his rams, is just stunning. The look of shock and pain on Baldar’s face as he accepts that which Thor will not is truly moving. Thor is massively drawn with an enormous chest and arms hoisting a Mjolnir that looks too heavy for anyone to lift, and Surtur and his flaming persona never looked more menacing. Finally the last chapter, told without any words, where Asgard prepares for Odin’s funeral pyre is particularly moving. In it Thor, Sif, Baldar and Loki all remember their pasts with Odin who freed Baldar to fight against his captors, protected Sif from some drunken louts, comforted the young, distraught Thor and tried to reason with Loki as a mischievous and petulant child. One might almost believe Loki came to regret the path his life had taken.

This trade collects Thor, vol. 2, #39-44. It was published in 2002 and should be readily available. It contains a couple of subplots involving Tarene the designate as well as Desak the god slayer and the Dark Gods. But these do not distract too badly from the primary story. Are there other stories of our thunder god more important than this one? I’m a big fan of the Lee/Kirby and Simonson Thor runs. They are among my favorite comics ever from anyone. Still, when thinking of truly riveting, impactful and monumentally important Thor stories, this one, thanks to Jurgens and Immonen, is in the cream that rises to the surface. It just doesn’t get much bigger than this one.

‘Nuff said.

Last edited by wktf; 12-11-2010 at 02:56 PM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
Monty Props
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

I'm so glad you're back! Brief reviews are better than no reviews.

Once again, I'm glad I'm not alone when it comes to Thor. I am simply without speech. I feel like I'm in an abusive relationship. I want to get out but I keep coming back thinking he's never going to beat me again. I go to the comic shop, I see the cover, and I think he still loves me. I get home and once again I've got a black eye, a broken nose, and a dislocated jaw. Damn you Fraction!!!
Monty Props is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:18 AM   #3
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Props View Post
I'm so glad you're back! Brief reviews are better than no reviews.

Once again, I'm glad I'm not alone when it comes to Thor. I am simply without speech. I feel like I'm in an abusive relationship. I want to get out but I keep coming back thinking he's never going to beat me again. I go to the comic shop, I see the cover, and I think he still loves me. I get home and once again I've got a black eye, a broken nose, and a dislocated jaw. Damn you Fraction!!!
Thanks for the props, Monty.

These past few weeks have been just brutal, between work and a myriad of difficult family issues. But I'm so glad to be back, too.

Your metaphor for Fraction's Thor is spot on. I'm so distraught over this. I simply can't believe we were forced to give up Gillen's run for this absolute drek.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
Monty Props
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Thanks for the props, Monty.

These past few weeks have been just brutal, between work and a myriad of difficult family issues. But I'm so glad to be back, too.

Your metaphor for Fraction's Thor is spot on. I'm so distraught over this. I simply can't believe we were forced to give up Gillen's run for this absolute drek.
I'm sorry man! Hope everything is right as rain in the House of WKTF soon.

I almost feel like Fraction assumes that the casket JMS had in issue 6 (the one that Thor goes into the Odinsleep inside of and eventually meets Odin) is like the wardrobe in Narnia. WTF! Maybe if Odin comes back he can at least get everyone to stop moping around Asgard.
Monty Props is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
protector2814
Phoenix

WKTF - Count me among the members who'll take short reviews over no reviews. Of course we understand that family and work take precedence. These lil' snippet reviews were/are great too. Couldn't agree more on New Avengers 7. It was like an early Holiday gift, full of surprise & chuckles. Thor? I have it, but it may gather dust for a while based on your review & Monty's take.
Welcome back, I know it was only a few weeks but you guys were missed. Baby steps, if need be; we'll be here.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:39 PM   #6
THECLOWN KNIGHT
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

I hope everything gets right soon at MR 'offices'.

I quit New Avengers with # 6, seems like this # 7 was the best issue so far.

Fables 100 was just EPIC. The most imaginative Duel I have read in a while.
THECLOWN KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

"I AM GROOT!"
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:41 PM   #8
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rilynil View Post
"I AM GROOT!"
Heh, that was brilliant. I lol'd when I read/saw that panel!!
Old 12-12-2010, 03:55 AM   #9
rilynil

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Heh, that was brilliant. I lol'd when I read/saw that panel!!
I think that panel was my favorite moment in an issue full of great moments.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:02 AM   #10
rilynil

By the way, can anyone name all the folks in that two-page spread of the babysitter interviews? I can't.

Top row:
Hellcat, then dunno (a green Mantis?? "this one?"), D-Man, then dunno, then dunno (Machine Man?), then dunno, then dunno, then Echo, then dunno.

Second row:
Molly of the Runaways, dunno (is it the new Madam Spider???), dunno, GROOT!, D-Man, Beverly of Howard the Duck fame, Deadpool, Sepulchre?? (Don't know her), Stature.

Bottom row:
D-Man, She-Hulk, dunno, Nighthawk, Sepulchre (who??), dunno, Tigra and Squirrel Girl.

I have a feeling I should be able to name more than I have.