Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 07-12-2015, 11:44 PM   #1
sonofabruce
Doh!

Dean Trippe @ Heroes Con - Serious Question

Hey all,

Hoping you can help not only myself, but the rest of the 1700+ people who backed Dean Trippe back in 2014 on his "Something Terrible" Kickstarter.

Dean's last update (regarding the actual project itself) said that the book was on it's way to be printed and he would have copies for backers to pick up at Heroes Con this summer.

Heroes Con is now over a month past, and Dean Trippe is completely incommunicado regarding whether or not he had copies of his book for backers to pick up there. In fact, he won't comment at all regarding ANYTHING to do with the book.

I think it's safe to assume that he did not, as nobody has stepped forward to say they received one. But if anyone who was at Heroes Con and can remember what Dean Trippe was selling/promoting at his booth over that weekend would be willing to share that info with myself, I'll forward it to his fellow backers.

Looking for any info, pictures, etc of:
  • Dean Trippe's table @ Heroes Con 2015
  • What Dean Trippe was selling, promoting, etc.
  • Was he still selling pre-orders of "Something Terrible"?
  • Was he selling PRINTS from his graphic novel "Something Terrible"?
  • Was he selling other, non -related merchandise he has produced SINCE his Kickstarter ended early in 2014?

The major cause of concern is that Dean received over $46,000 from his 1700+ backers to produce a print version of his pre-existing digital comic, and he has failed on numerous occasions to meet deadlines or remain in contact with his backers. He has admitted to using a portion of these funds to travel to conventions, but justifies taking that money because he "puts it back" by selling prints and doing commissions at conventions and for eBay. (Don't even get me started on the fact that Mr. Trippe still owes people for commissions he took on 2013 as well, yet still takes more money from other people at convetions and does that work first.)

I have posted this here because as a group who commissions comic artists at conventions, you may have information valuable regarding this "artist" that may allow those of us who he has taken money from to retrieve our funds and see him held accountable for his actions.

If you want further clarification on just how upset he has made people and how angry people are, click here.

Thank you all in advance!
sonofabruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:08 AM   #2
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

I am not familiar with this artist (haven’t heard of him outside of the thread in his name). I was at Heroes but don’t remember anything about him (I wouldn’t have even known he was there). I would have checked it out had this thread been up before the show. How does kickstarter work? Do they have any authority to enforce these fundraisers or do they just facilitate them and have nothing to do with the terms and execution of the deal?

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:32 AM   #3
CKinSD
Crush Mod
Super Moderator

i went to Heroes and did not notice him, but was not looking for him. This is really bad, thought it does seem from reading on kickstarter some folks have gotten their money back by emailing him directly.

I do not think that all 1,700+ have though. This is piss poor on his part for certain. I've backed multiple projects on kickstarter but have never seen something like this mess before.

not sure what would be the best way to handle this mess but am very glad you have pointed out this guy's shady dealings with folks so that our membership can stay far away from him and not spend any money with him at shows.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:11 AM   #4
NullSkier
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
How does kickstarter work? Do they have any authority to enforce these fundraisers or do they just facilitate them and have nothing to do with the terms and execution of the deal?
Kickstarter just facilitates, and doesn't have any kind of guarantee or buyer protection.
NullSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:18 PM   #5
bnmauney
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Ugh. It's things like this that really sours me on Kickstarter. I think I've back 20-30 campaigns, but only a handful have been in the past year or so. I've got one that's 3+ years overdue and another that's 2+. The fact that KS doesn't come up with some way to protect the backers reminds me of a little kid with their fingers in their ear going, "Lalalalala!"
bnmauney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #6
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Gives me serious pause about backing any KS fund raising campaigns. I’d have to really be into the campaign and really trust the organizer ….

CAF
Old 07-13-2015, 12:51 PM   #7
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

sounds like you should go into a kickstarter assuming your money is going as a donation. and if you get something at some point its a win.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:54 PM   #8
NullSkier
A day without sunshine is like... night.

One good thing is Kickstarter will show you the history of previous campaigns that a campaign starter has done, so you can tell if they have a history of fulfilling their promises or not. Won't be completely fool proof, but it's something.
NullSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:20 PM   #9
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito1978 View Post
sounds like you should go into a kickstarter assuming your money is going as a donation. and if you get something at some point its a win.
Good call as you won’t be disappointed if the project fails … but then again I would look elsewhere for making a donation to a worthy cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullSkier View Post
One good thing is Kickstarter will show you the history of previous campaigns that a campaign starter has done, so you can tell if they have a history of fulfilling their promises or not. Won't be completely fool proof, but it's something.
But how many people do more than one of these? I agree that a history would be a good way to boost confidence in a project but I would imagine the ones that are a potential problem are one-shot deals

It seems this model needs tweaking as I am sure the writing on the wall is clear to anyone looking to generate funds but not really invested in seeing the project through … kind of like the artist that takes a commission list only not to come through on the committed commissions …

CAF
Old 07-13-2015, 02:00 PM   #10
pwimrbarnes
Justice League

Dean's definitely a character.

After two and a half years, I finally got the commission he owed me a few months back. I emailed him to let him know it was received, and in response, Dean asked if I could scan it so he could color it and make prints for conventions.

This dude made me wait 2.5 years, wouldn't respond to messages, came up with every excuse in the book as to why he couldn't get his promised work done, but he'll still ask you for a favor. GREAT guy. I'll get that scan done in two and a half years, boss
pwimrbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote