Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 05-19-2005, 11:00 PM   #11
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

b_c, I never followed War Games. What elements of War Games is played out here? Or is it just that Batman is estranged from the police which, I know from Gotham Central, is an outcome of War Games.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 11:36 PM   #12
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf
b_c, I never followed War Games. What elements of War Games is played out here? Or is it just that Batman is estranged from the police which, I know from Gotham Central, is an outcome of War Games.
yeah, that he is estrange and even hated by the police. Love someone is actually doing something with this. Even Silver St cloud knows about it.

And sam and WKTF, was it just me, or did the letters column leave a bad taste in your mouth?

Last edited by bat_collector; 05-19-2005 at 11:40 PM.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 09:55 AM   #13
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Letter column for Black Panter, specifically? I actually thought it was well done. The author of the letter to which Reggie responded, I believe, summarized thoughts and feelings a segment of the reading audience was having. To isolate that letter and have the editor look to Reggie to directly respond felt like a strong, respectful way for the creator to respond directly to some of his readers.

Now, was it overly politicized? Frankly, I'm not sure. The topics of racism and discrimination/reverse discrimination are polarizing and seem to be surfacing with this book. Why not broach the questions head on, as the letter writer did, and respond directly, as Reggie did? It did feel a little awkward but only because the Marvel letter columns, typically over the decades, have been mostly an avenue of loose, bombastic editorial fare ("Hey, true believers, hold onto your hats..." kind of thing). Not the case here. So, it did feel kind of preachy but only in this medium. Given the subject, the directness of the questions, and the themes in the comic itself, I actually respected the dialogue from both sides.

Last edited by wktf; 05-20-2005 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:16 AM   #14
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector
yeah, that he is estrange and even hated by the police. Love someone is actually doing something with this. Even Silver St cloud knows about it.

And sam and WKTF, was it just me, or did the letters column leave a bad taste in your mouth?
Umm, I'm ashamed. Haven't read it yet. I save BP for last cause it is my favorite, please forgive me...

But that being said, I willing to bet I would feel the same way wktf does. We have the same buy lists every week (seriously), except I pick up a few more books. And our tpb collection is about 80% the same. Must be the water in western MA...
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 10:52 AM   #15
bat_collector
Galactus

Which is probably why I'm not liking some of the Black Panther so far. Too much heavy handed preachiness throughout the whole book. Just my opinion.

I didn't agree with everything the writer of the one letter stated, but then again I didn't agree with the response either.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:02 PM   #16
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I just didn't think it was that heavy handed. God forbid a comic book should make us think a little, y'know?
Old 05-20-2005, 03:29 PM   #17
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf
I just didn't think it was that heavy handed. God forbid a comic book should make us think a little, y'know?
I don't know, the book seems too "agenda"-ized to me. Which is bothering me with gotham central. "Lets sacrifice the entire finale to the story arc so we can talk about alternative lifestyles a bit more."

Just my two cents, WKTF, and you know I respect yours.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:33 PM   #18
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Ditto, b_c. No worries.

I don't think Gotham Central sacrificed the finale to focus on alternative lifestyles. I think Rucka, for whatever reason, simply crapped out on this issue, didn't give it his all at the end, and created a lame ending. That simple.

I also don't think Black Panther has an agenda other than telling a good story, which involves some intricacies and controversy. I may be wrong. Someone closer to Reginald Hudlin (and there are a few on this forum, like Reg himself!) may know better than me.

Last edited by wktf; 05-20-2005 at 04:17 PM.