Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 05-13-2005, 12:57 PM   #31
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Wilson
Like in Maus, a cat will always be a cat, preying on the weaker.
Excellent analogy and kudos for tying this back to this discussion's origin, Maus.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 03:34 PM   #32
mwf6171
internet forum tough guy

Location: Gore/Aussie Land!!! well Kansas City, MO actually..
I am looking forward to McKone's stint on FF. I loved his art during his Titans run. Might have to pick up the first few issues...keep up the good work fellas!
mwf6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:52 AM   #33
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

sorry WKTF, I don't really read the reviews cos I get my comics monthly and don't want any spoilers.

I got the slipcase edition of Maus when I was out in America, and it is probably my favourite book.

The reason that Maus works so well, is the way that it is told. I got the first book out of the library this week to freshen up, and it was a fascinating read(you never get tired of reading it). There is no way that this book could have been told from a human's POV. That is it's materpiece. The way that Art substituted people for animals so that you could distinguish the different races and how they prey on each other.

when I first read Mause, I was a bit shocked at the starkness of the artwork, but now I realize how well it suits it.

some of my favourite scene include the parts where Vladek disguises himself as a Pole by putting on a Pig mask, as first seen on P. 64(how would that work if this was ordinary people?) - it's pure genius! and on P. 69 where vladek gives Art that cardigan after throwing out his old trenchcoat cracks me up

The picture on P.125 where Anja and Vladek come to what looks like a crossroads - but in the shape of a swastika, I think that was brilliant.

Although released in two volumes, Mause will always be one complete work to me, you cannot read one book without having to read the other.

There is part of me that longs to see this adapted in to an animated feature: black and white with grey tone, al hand drawn with absolutely no CGI at all, and virtually word for word text screenplay and it would have to be and r rated or even NC-17, but another half on me doesn't want to me to see this happen because anything less than perfection would be horrific
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 11:45 AM   #34
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

JD, no worries. Just glad there are more people out there spreading the good word about Maus. Your idea about an animated film is tremendous. I'd want Spiegelman to have complete creative control, though.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:33 AM   #35
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf
JD, no worries. Just glad there are more people out there spreading the good word about Maus. Your idea about an animated film is tremendous. I'd want Spiegelman to have complete creative control, though.
finished reading Vol. II again(as you can probably tel lfrom a few changes made to my profile...)

I don't think that any part of this book(meaning both volumes) gets any better than the opening of "Auschewitz (Time Flies). I love how you see Art telling the passing of Vladek in human form but wearing a mouse mask.

And as for an animated film, I think you can see that it is spelled out here that it will never happen
Quote:
At least fifteen foreign editions are coming out. I've gotten 4 serois offers to turn my book into a T.V special or movie (I don't wanna)
The following page is pure genius with the seeze and reporters hounding him (no pun intended) about the book

"MAUS YOU''VE READ THE BOOK: NOW BUY THE VEST

And the way that art shrinks to a kid is brilliant

Page 50 is great as well, where they have a german prisoner but he is portrayed as a jew and on the next panel you see him as a german

Anyone know what country the fish are supposed to represent(p. 131)?

Love the pictures of richieu and vladek
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:36 PM   #36
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Sad, in a way, that an animated film will not happen. It'd be a great word to spread the story further to people who'd see the film but not read the book.