Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 02-03-2006, 04:18 PM   #1
EvilNinjaChris
A day without sunshine is like... night.

chalk pastels vs. airbrushing

I have been reading a lot about using chalk pastels to shade figures instead of airbrushing...I'm sure its not a new technique but I was wondering what the rest of you guys do most of the time and maybe why you prefer one over the other. I personally love my airbrush but I'd like to know when the best time to use one over the other.
EvilNinjaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 05:27 PM   #2
Danno
Paint Master
Producer

Hey There,

Both are handy tools, depending on what you are doing. Pastels have been deemed the "poormans airbrush" as a painter can do some of the airbrush shading techniques with a nice feathered/blended look using them. Honestly, I have not used pastels for a while...but they are a great and simple medium for the beginning painter.

http://www.picturetrail.com/dannodaman
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 05:49 PM   #3
RickDTM
Master Painter
Painter

I agree w Danno...I use them sparingly, but they will give a nice look in a tight spot.
RickDTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:46 PM   #4
HereBeMonsters
U talkin' to me?

I used them for the last 17 years as a replacement for the airbrush. But now I use the airbrush quite a bit. They work well for small or as Rick said "tight" areas,where you might not be able to mask off another color or use the airbrush.There biggest drawback is that like a brushed on wash they tend to bunch up and emphasize any defects in the casting or missed prep work (sanding and puttying). Still they are great for ageing or weathering stone and base effects.
HereBeMonsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 01:12 AM   #5
BattyDave19
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereBeMonsters
I used them for the last 17 years as a replacement for the airbrush. But now I use the airbrush quite a bit. They work well for small or as Rick said "tight" areas,where you might not be able to mask off another color or use the airbrush.There biggest drawback is that like a brushed on wash they tend to bunch up and emphasize any defects in the casting or missed prep work (sanding and puttying). Still they are great for ageing or weathering stone and base effects.
i got to agree with that as well, i use both pastels and the airbrush. i like em both the same but they are great for weathering and making stuff look aged
BattyDave19 is offline   Reply With Quote