Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Pop Culture Shock

Old 01-05-2019, 07:37 PM   #4521
supermetroid
Teen Titans

I know it's not SF, but I started playing Fight Night Champion again on Xbox One since I just heard it's backward compatible. It plays great but I'm getting crashes quite often. Your post above just reminded me of how crappy the UFC games have been and the lack of a new boxing game when that's what many fans want. I guess the licensing for boxers is much harder to get than the UFC's but boxing just makes for a much better game imo.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:53 PM   #4522
Joppula
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
I forgot all about SF5, ever since i tested it at the NYCC i knew it total crap. Was so dumbed down i was doing long combos mashing a controller.

SF4 proved to be what people wanted even tho tons cried it was to hard. Competitive game that requires time and effort to get good and tons of hype watching pros play the game at tournaments.

The first time SF5 was at a EVO i found myself falling asleep watching the matches and doing other stuff. SF4 kept me watching non stop, at times i had to turn off streams and get back to work cause i twas so much fun.

Funny how SF5 killed the whole franchise, everyone i know during the SF4 era moved on and never looked back.

EditL is SF4 still on xbox360 online? if so maybe this summer should get a game card and play again, i miss those days of just doing matches at night.
You’re an incredible master painter, I am a tremendous fan of your work. IMHO as pertains to statues you are a creative genius.

As pertains to your knowledge of the game and it’s scene, you have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about.

In regards to SF4 as well.

The only complex component of SF4 were 1 frame links. Everything else from input shortcuts to input buffering were dumbed down in SF4. And the SF2T and SF3 crowd weren’t shy about letting SF4 folk know about it.

By the end of SF4 it was called “Slow fighter 4” and Elena was thought to be ruining the game.

SF4 was great for its own reasons, as is SFV. And all previous SF games.

Yes SFV had a terrible launch. It’s time to move past that.
Joppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:03 PM   #4523
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

I been playing SF since the very first game as a kit at my local teen center, of course i know SF and to me sf5 killed it.

SF4 brought it back to life while SF5 tuned so many people away. During SF4 there was so many local tournaments in my area, local game stores were holding tourneys, people would have events at houses and rent out pool hauls etc.

SF5 killed it all, no one does any of that anymore and my whole list of players from SF4 i kept in contact with thru IRC, Skype etc all dropped it.

So when i say i SF5 killed the IP its from my perspective of the scene.

I think once Seth left cap com i noticed a big change in direction.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:29 PM   #4524
StatueDiva
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
I forgot all about SF5, ever since i tested it at the NYCC i knew it total crap. Was so dumbed down i was doing long combos mashing a controller.

SF4 proved to be what people wanted even tho tons cried it was to hard. Competitive game that requires time and effort to get good and tons of hype watching pros play the game at tournaments.

The first time SF5 was at a EVO i found myself falling asleep watching the matches and doing other stuff. SF4 kept me watching non stop, at times i had to turn off streams and get back to work cause i twas so much fun.

Funny how SF5 killed the whole franchise, everyone i know during the SF4 era moved on and never looked back.

EditL is SF4 still on xbox360 online? if so maybe this summer should get a game card and play again, i miss those days of just doing matches at night.
This is one of the major things I dislike about this generation (which is funny because I was born in it). So many things are dumbed down and casualized to the point it no longer has any identity.

Fighting games are supposed to be hard and take a long amount of time to master. This effort to tone them down and remove any flair that they have is a huge mistake. You just can't do that with this genre.

And I agree about SFV, every tournament feels like the same scenarios on repeat. Every character save for Menat or Kage just don't offer ways for people to stand out. It's so homogeneous that you can't say Xian's Ibuki, Daigo's Guile, Itazan's Abigail, etc. everyone plays the same formula because there's no depth to the game.

About SF4, you should still be able to find matches online on each platform. The people who never moved on still actively play it.
StatueDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:46 PM   #4525
Joppula

Quote:
I been playing SF since the very first game as a kit at my local teen center, of course i know SF and to me sf5 killed it.

SF4 brought it back to life while SF5 tuned so many people away. During SF4 there was so many local tournaments in my area, local game stores were holding tourneys, people would have events at houses and rent out pool hauls etc.

SF5 killed it all, no one does any of that anymore and my whole list of players from SF4 i kept in contact with thru IRC, Skype etc all dropped it.

1) Defenitly sounds like you had your mind made up, since you determined it was “total crap” after TESTING it at a convention. I guess all of your years of experience hasn’t taught you that you cannot judge something so quickly. Especially a fighter.

2) SFV to this day still has more tournament entrants than ANY other fighter including Tekken and Dragon Ball FighterZ.

So it didn’t kill anything, it’s very much alive. Sorry your local scene burned out. Sounds like that’s on them, not SFV.

3) As far as SF4 reviving the fighting genre, that’s a correct assessment. But that is because 2D fighting games had basically been dormant for like 10 years at the time.

It revived all the games, not just Street Fighter. That’s not reflective of how GOOD of a game SF4 is. During the SF4 era many people complained about it.

Mostly people stuck in past generations of SF. Sound familiar?

I really feel there is something special and unique about EACH SF game.

I’ve been playing since SF1 as well. And it’s my opinion that SF5 is an exceptional game.

I guess we’ll agree to disagree.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:52 PM   #4526
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:

I've been called a 'bitter old man' for saying similar, of Star Wars, etc. Some may say it's simply the relationship between 'change', versus status quo.

However, I would say that a great deal of what you ascribe to SFV, is more likely owed to a general change of culture, society, and the industry, and not as much to SFV game mechanics (although designing a fighting game engine with intentional lag, with a directive less focused on reflexes... is a poor decision, in my opinion).

I also think that SFIV only really 'brought SF back' because it was essentially an evolution of the beloved SFII (with EX inspirations), and because of the drought and anticipation that preceded it. Fan favorite line-up from the start, and no nickel/diming didn't hurt either.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:03 PM   #4527
Joppula

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
I've been called a 'bitter old man' for saying similar, of Star Wars, etc. Some may say it's simply the relationship between 'change', versus status quo.

However, I would say that a great deal of what you ascribe to SFV, is more likely owed to a general change of culture, society, and the industry, and not as much to SFV game mechanics (although designing a fighting game engine with intentional lag, with a directive less focused on reflexes... is a poor decision, in my opinion).

I also think that SFIV only really 'brought SF back' because it was essentially an evolution of the beloved SFII (with EX inspirations), and because of the drought and anticipation that preceded it. Fan favorite line-up from the start, and no nickel/diming didn't hurt either.
Great comment.

Just wanted to add a bit of information.

The lag that WAS not inherent to SFV, but to the Unreal Engine that the game was based.

Tekken 7 and other games built using this engine also suffered the same problems.

They’ve since been able to fix this issue, and the input lag in SFV is now a match to the rest of the SF series.

Furthermore,

As pertains to “nickel and dimming”. That’s definitely up for debate when EVERY character in SFV is available to purchase with in game currency. Many costumes as well.

SF4 had no such option.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:13 PM   #4528
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joppula View Post
Great comment.

Just wanted to add a bit of information.

The lag that WAS not inherent to SFV, but to the Unreal Engine that the game was based.

Tekken 7 and other games built using this engine also suffered the same problems.

They’ve since been able to fix this issue, and the input lag in SFV is now a match to the rest of the SF series.

Furthermore,

As pertains to “nickel and dimming”. That’s definitely up for debate when EVERY character in SFV is available to purchase with in game currency. Many costumes as well.

SF4 had no such option.
To address the second part first - yes, I can't really level that complaint against Capcom/Street Fighter alone. You're right that it's industry wide, and Capcom give more options (than many others) to acquire additional content without spending real cash.

Regarding the lag - I do recall reading that, and I'm aware of it's current state. Worth pointing out though.

However, I thought I also read that at least part of the lag was a design choice to deal not with the engine, but the fact that SFV was designed with internet play in mind. That's the poor decision part I was referring to. That SFV, played online, is as good as it gets, i.e. two players at one console at home or at tournament could hope for no better outcome.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:18 PM   #4529
supermetroid
Teen Titans

As a casual trying to get into SFV, I thought it took way too long to unlock a character. I'm fine with making cosmetics DLC, but in game content shouldn't be so time consuming that it makes you lose interest or have to pay more to get the full experience.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:23 PM   #4530
Joppula

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
To address the second part first - yes, I can't really level that complaint against Capcom/Street Fighter alone. You're right that it's industry wide, and Capcom give more options (than many others) to acquire additional content without spending real cash.

Regarding the lag - I do recall reading that, and I'm aware of it's current state. Worth pointing out though.

However, I thought I also read that at least part of the lag was a design choice to deal not with the engine, but the fact that SFV was designed with internet play in mind. That's the poor decision part I was referring to. That SFV, played online, is as good as it gets, i.e. two players at one console at home or at tournament could hope for no better outcome.
I think this was some corporate PR spin they tried to run to explain away shortcomings of the unreal engine.

Capcom executives are certainly not PR genius’s. They shoot them selves in the foot constantly.