Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 04-30-2011, 07:52 PM   #41
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I think we're about to see Marvel get real creative with these omnis. For example, a Byrne X-Men run, A Spidey vs Green Goblin run, and so on. However, the one I'm really hoping for is a Byrne FF run. I loved that run of books. Byrne wrote/pencilled issues 232-294 and pencilled a whole bunch of others prior to 232 just prior to his taking up the writing chores. A two volume omni set would be awesome!

I'd love to see a Dr. Strange omni as well.
The FF Byrne run is the one I want most. Thankfully its coming out this year.

http://www.amazon.com/Fantastic-Four...4207469&sr=8-1
MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:11 PM   #42
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
If there's enough demand for them, they'll definitely go back into print. Why wouldn't they? Marvel never said it wouldn't keep these in print.
I'm afraid they did. This is what David Gabriel said over a month ago on MarvelMasterworksFanSite

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gabriel
...and no plans to do reprints of out of stock omniboo..gotta get them the first time around....
Quote:
My Brubaker Cap omni, for example, is on its 4th printing. There are a number of the Masterworks which went into multiple printings too.
They seem to be more comitted to the Marvel Masterworks line due to its very nature, but Omniboo are considered more of a 'get it now or else' matter. True, the Cap Omnibus is on its 4th printing already, but it only makes sense to try and cash in on it now, especially when not many people are going to buy volumes 2 or 3 of a current comic series if they can't have vol. 1.

Quote:
While its great to see these omnis rise in value, I don't believe the intention was to create hard-to-find collectibles.
Neither do I, and it shouldn't be that way, but the dread of missing every new Omnibus as they get released certainly helps boost sales.

Quote:
That being said, fans need to be reasonable about their hopes and expectations. For example, the ones I don't see going back to print are the ones which didn't sell well to begin with like the Dracula, Alias, Devil Dinosaur, and Eternals omnis and so on. While it's not to say those weren't fabulous reads, the numbers don't justify additional printings.
Agreed. If I'm not mistaken, the Simonson Thor was released just last week and it's already on its 3rd! So it's not like they're not gonna try and milk it.

Fans have been clamoring for reprints of such Omniboo as Morrison's New X-Men and Alias to no avail, though.

Quote:
Then again, you can bet we'll eventually see more printings of the silver age Fantastic Four volume 2.
Gabriel also specifically ruled out a new FF Vol 2. I guess sales for the Omnibi of the classic chronological variety do not justify going back in print. At least since volumes 1 of Amazing Spider-Man, FF and UXM, which saw new print in sewn form.

So, to sum up, and generally speaking, don't count on it. I'm afraid Marvel doesn't share DC's approach of keeping their "Absolute" editions in print.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:42 PM   #43
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
The FF Byrne run is the one I want most. Thankfully its coming out this year.

http://www.amazon.com/Fantastic-Four...4207469&sr=8-1

Holy coocoo clocks! That's great news!
Has it been solicited in Previews yet? I should check this month's.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #44
Dana P.
TRICKSTER
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post

Agreed. If I'm not mistaken, the Simonson Thor was released just last week and it's already on its 3rd! So it's not like they're not gonna try and milk it.
A quick FYI re: the Simonson Thor Omnibus: the direct market edition (BRB on the cover) is only receiving the one printing. The one with Thor & Balder is on its 3rd printing.
"I thought, 'What is this half horse-looking character?' By the end I said 'I get this and I like it.' My first instinct was that I was a bit unsure. He's the only one who can pick up the hammer. He's a worthy from another planet. But he looks like a horse."
Dana P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:56 PM   #45
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:

I'm afraid they did. This is what David Gabriel said over a month ago on MarvelMasterworksFanSite

There was a time when Marvel Masterworks Vol 21 was selling for over $300. I remember hearing the same statement from the Marvel brass, i.e., "We won't be going back to print". Needless to say, they eventually did, and likely will again. Call me a sceptic. History suggests that this Gabriel fellow is basically blowing smoke.

Quote:

Wow! Third printing already??

Quote:

Fans have been clamoring for reprints of such Omniboo as Morrison's New X-Men and Alias to no avail, though.

Oy vey... I hated Morrison's run on X-Men.

Quote:

Gabriel also specifically ruled out a new FF Vol 2. I guess sales for the Omnibi of the classic chronological variety do not justify going back in print.

It'll go back to print. I have no doubt. Marvel is nothing if not opportunistic. If they suddenly see an opportunity to sell a whole bunch of $100 books, they will.

Honestly, does it make any sense at all to never again reprint issues 31-60 of Fantastic Four?? I mean, those issues introduce the Surfer, Galactus, the Inhumans, Black Panther, and numerous other Marvel icons.

Quote:

So, to sum up, and generally speaking, don't count on it. I'm afraid Marvel doesn't share DC's approach of keeping their "Absolute" editions in print.

DC has it right. Reprints should remain open editions.
It's retarded to limit these things.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:00 PM   #46
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
DC has it right. Reprints should remain open editions.
It's retarded to limit these things.
I agree.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:02 PM   #47
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana P. View Post
A quick FYI re: the Simonson Thor Omnibus: the direct market edition (BRB on the cover) is only receiving the one printing. The one with Thor & Balder is on its 3rd printing.

Hmmm. I have the BRB cover.

IMO, if Marvel or whomever wants to limit these things in general, then just issue a new cover to later printings. That way, collectors can have their sealed fingerprint free limited edition hardcovers and the people who just want to read the stories could buy their 4th printing without ruffling too many feathers.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:04 PM   #48
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
What's that one look like? Does this mean you DO have the limited collectible?
Old 04-30-2011, 09:06 PM   #49
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:

IMO, if Marvel or whomever wants to limit these things in gneral, then just issue a new cover to later printings. That way, collectors can have their sealed fingerprint free limited edition hardcovers and the people who just want to read the stories could buy their 4th printing without ruffling too many feathers.
This works - and will only serve to benefit them as most people seek first printings already - and die hards look to collect both...
Old 04-30-2011, 09:09 PM   #50
Dana P.
TRICKSTER
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
What's that one look like?
BRB is on the cover.

"I thought, 'What is this half horse-looking character?' By the end I said 'I get this and I like it.' My first instinct was that I was a bit unsure. He's the only one who can pick up the hammer. He's a worthy from another planet. But he looks like a horse."
Dana P. is offline   Reply With Quote