Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 04-08-2014, 11:43 PM   #1
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

Bmutha's Blast from the Past: Doctor Doom PF Review

So, to fill in the gaps between new pieces (hey, I’m not made of money!), I present to you the first in my Blast from the Past series, where we get to see how some older pieces stack up against those of today.

First up, the Doctor Doom Premium Format Figure. Victor Von Doom is one of Marvel’s oldest and most recognized villains, debuting way back in 1962 within the pages of Fantastic Four # 5.

For a piece that is at least 8 years old (if anyone has a release date, let me know!), you’d think that some of its lustre may have worn off. Many pieces over many different licenses have come out since this Latverian ruler arrived in hand (wish I was in the hobby at that time!), but Doom is still widely considered one of the best that Sideshow has ever put out. Let’s take a look at why.

What stands out the most on this piece for me is the design concept. In an industry where the majority of statues have some variation of museum pose (maybe they are leaning forward slightly, or have a slight twist), this one really stands out. Doom is seated in a magnificent throne that you can just picture deep within the confines of his castle. With his elbows planted on the arms of the throne (look at the indentation and wrinkling in the cushioning around his elbows…very nice attention to detail there) and hands raised up by his chin (very Mr. Burns-esque), you get the sense that this evil genius is busy scheming up his next plan to destroy Reed Richards, once and for all! The design of this piece screams Doom and shows off the essence of the character, a nefarious mastermind plotting to destroy his enemies and take over the world!

The exclusive version came with a separate pedestal and golden goblet that could be placed beside the throne. This extra piece makes an excellent accent to the figure overall, and adds to the impression that Doom is locked deep within his castle planning his next big move. (Note: The pedestal shown is a custom item, and not the original one from Sideshow).

The sculpted details on all aspects of this piece are impeccable. They went with a more modern look to the mask for this figure. Originally, Doom’s mask was basically a faceplate with some holes cut for eyes and mouth, but this one is much more intricate: the cheek bones, brow, and chin are all accentuated to give the mask more of an evil face-like appearance…it truly is menacing. Not only that, if you look behind the mask, the scarred visage and eyes are also finely detailed. The armor is well detailed, too, and has more of a classic look to it than the mask (yet they still go well together).

The throne, though…my god, the throne is truly an exceptional piece of art. Every square inch of this thing is detailed to the max: snakes, skulls, minotaurs, even a beautiful bas-relief on the back side. There are cracks and chips throughout, really giving the throne a sense of age. Simply put, the throne is glorious.

The paint on the Doom figure himself is very well done, although it’s fairly straightforward silver armor for the most part. The eyes and scarred face are well painted behind the mask…lending some realism to Doom’s menacing stare. The paint on the throne is outstanding, giving it a very realistic weathered bronze and marble sort of look. All in all, a fantastic paint job, with not a single ounce misapplied.

Doom’s tunic, hood, and belt are all mixed media. The outside of the tunic and hood are made of a thicker, finely ribbed material, while the inside is made of a soft, smooth satin-like fabric. Very high quality stuff here; however, this brings me to my one and only grip about the piece: the damn wire in the hood! Personally, I believe it may have been better to leave the wire out, allowing the hood to drape naturally around the face. That said, if you futz with it long enough (believe me, I did), or if you’re just not as picky as me, you can get the hood looking to your taste.

The statue comes as a single piece, so there are no magnets or pin connections to worry about. This PF is what people talk about when they refer to the “good old days”…this is one heavy piece of art, weighing in at about 25 pounds. It’s just a quality item through and through.

Sculpt: 10/10 – Easiest score I have ever given. This sculpt is a masterpiece.

Paint/Mixed Media: 9.5/10 – I only knock it for the wire in the hood…it drove me nuts. Everything else is stellar.

Design: 10/10 – The throne concept brilliantly captures the essence of Doom’s character.

Production & Build Quality: 10/10 – A solid piece, with next to no visible flaws.

Overall: 9.9/10! Easily one of Sideshow’s best ever pieces in any format.

Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:36 AM   #2
Sithlord32
New Republic

Great pics and review hoss. Wish i had that piece its shexy!!!
Sithlord32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:23 PM   #3
risingstar
Jedi Order

Doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom!!!!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:54 AM   #4
derekrodneysim
Giganta

Location: In a country where inequality, oppression, corruption & racism reigns supreme
I strongly disagree with your rating, man. This piece has no flaw. None.

Besides that, I agree with the rest of what you said. This piece is among the cream of the crop of what Sideshow has done IMO.

Love the pedestal! Custom? Would love to get one of that for mine.
derekrodneysim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:31 AM   #5
KevinS
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

The Doom Statute is just awesome and it sells for a fortune!

Anyone know if Sideshow is doing another Dr. Doom besides the LSF?
KevinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:08 PM   #6
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekrodneysim View Post
I strongly disagree with your rating, man. This piece has no flaw. None.

Besides that, I agree with the rest of what you said. This piece is among the cream of the crop of what Sideshow has done IMO.

Love the pedestal! Custom? Would love to get one of that for mine.
Dude, the wire in the hood drove me nuts! I put it in a custom acrylic case that was screwed down so that I couldn't mess with it any more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinS View Post
The Doom Statute is just awesome and it sells for a fortune!

Anyone know if Sideshow is doing another Dr. Doom besides the LSF?
Yes, there is another Doom PF on the way...maybe later this year, but Sideshow hasn't said.
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote