Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 02-17-2016, 11:29 AM   #41
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Was interested in the beginning...tried to get on board with Thor but found it to hard and frustrating, now I don't even bother with that line...not worth showing or being Interested with no return for that effort.
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:30 PM   #42
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTMAN View Post
I appreciate XM and other smaller companies who venture into less popular licenses and characters but it needs to be executed methodically. I know some characters might be perceived as B/C listers and may seem like a tough sell, but at the end of the day it really comes down to the art, execution and price point.

I am fully aware of XM’s licensing agreements and the market they cater to, however, their price range does not fall within the standard market rate.

I wanted to touch on this first. XM's pricing range is actually within range of the standard market. Let me give you some examples of how not only is it in range...but also cheaper in some regards.

Ms. Marvel = $650 SGD (retail) = $463.04 USD CHEAPER THAN SS Captain Marvel at $499.
For Prestige Member price = $585 SGD = $416.74 USD.

Wolverine = $829.90 SGD (retail) = $591.20 USD
For Prestige Member price = $737 SGD = $532.14 USD
SS Wolverine = $479.99 about $60 less than XM Wolvie.

Hulk = $799.90 SGD (retail) = $569.83 USD
For Prestige Member price = $720 SGD = $512.91 USD
SS Hulk = $549.99 USD. That is about $35 MORE than XM's for a lightweight nancy.

Not that there is a standard market rate when it comes to art, but if certain companies [not Sideshow] are capable of producing high quality collectibles in 1/4 scale ranging anywhere from $350-$500 then something is off.

SS 1/4 from $350 - $500? Ummmm....last I checked the prices range from $449.99 - $599.99 or higher (but this is avg range). And high quality...well....sometimes. Better in recent months and several past releases. As for other companies...like who? PCS? You mean the simple SF statues? MK...not anymore. Last I checked the MK statues fun in the $400 - $500 range. Jerry has already stated that prices are rising and will continue to rise which is why he is looking into making smaller sized statues (1/5, 1/6, 1/6 Action Figures, etc.). GG is higher than XM prices (Honey Trap girls for instance). IS and IA charge roughly the same as XM or more! Cinemaquette and Prime 1 range anywhere from $700 - $2000. I'm not seeing $350 part of the $350 - $500. PCS is the only company that makes 1/4 that may occasionally hit the $350 mark...but that is for plain black bases and smaller than 1/4 statues...much like the MOTU. I like them...but they are a bit on the smaller side. I owned most of them at one point and they seemed closer to 1/5 to me.

Yeah, they may include only 1 switch out portrait or an art print, and a standard art box but that’s more than enough. If artists are confident with their concepts then it’s not necessary to provide 10 switch outs to justify the high price point.

Hell NO! It's not enough when the prices are roughly the same....for lighter, thin cast statues. Furthermore, it seems you are not familiar with XM's thought process. It has nothing to do with artists confidence with their concepts and providing 10 switch out parts just to justify a higher price point. YOUR COMMMENT IS FLAT OUT INCORRECT!!!! XM's thought process is giving the MOST to the consumer WITHOUT charging more. That is what is missed in translation. It's about giving more for the same. Let me give you an example. Black Bolt was set at a price when it went up for PO. XM not only added an extra feature of BB with the real silver antenna on his head....but the price remained the same. Just one example...of many, many more I can use. No need to.

Plus most switch outs remain in the box anyway. Then there is the 1/3 scale...

Sooner or later collectors will hit a dead end and will face difficulties sustaining their passion for collecting. Cutting down the edition size does not increase demand but rather diminishes the credibility of the piece. If a particular piece wasn’t successful or in demand initially what makes you think it will be sought after down the road. Bottom line is companies need to realize there are other obligations in life aside from this hobby. If they wish to be successful they need to take a step back and access the rate of releases and price point, otherwise this hobby is doomed to crash.

I fully agree....but what you are missing is that XM is a small company in relation to SS....so they are not oversaturating the marketplace. Oversaturation is producing about 500 Hulks, 4000 IM, and 300 Batman i.e. like SS and Prime 1. Big difference. XM has some UNIQUE licenses that have never permeated the marketplace...or at the most just took a little peep outside (i.e. Top Cow). SS releases new multiple products every single week.....say it again....every single week. XM releases or puts up for PO a statue once every month...maybe two if they are lucky to. Get your facts straight....I mean that in no disrespect towards you or to belittle you, etc. etc. etc. Just get it correct. Name me another company that has a concept of Moon Knight or Kingpin in the works in 1/4. UNIQUE characters from the wealth of Marvel characters is what XM chooses to do. This is why XM succeeds...in fact the company has grown tremendously....so much so that they almost have their new building completed...Damn near 5 times the size of where they are now...or more. That does not happen in a weak market. Companies don't continue to get bigger and acquire more licenses in a weak market (in most cases). It's been almost 4 years and the quality of their products have not diminished in the least.

There is too much competition nowadays and the market is getting saturated.

Yes, and because of the characters XM chooses to make...they contribute FAR LESS to the market being saturated. Top Cow, Chinese Comic, Fairytales unique IP, Batman Rising Sun (unique fresh take and perpsective) are all fresh to the collectibles community. Marvel is relatively fresh to the 1/4 community because they choose characters that have never been done in 1/4 (Dr. Strange, Black Bolt, Kingpin, etc. etc.). If oversaturation is going to take place...which may eventually happen...it will be less XM's doing. You can count SS, Prime 1 (with their 5,000 Batmans) for that. PCS, XM, IA are not oversaturating the market.

Nothing in life is immune from deflation except for Gold & Silver, just look at past events, the economy is unstable.
Just a little comments on the parts i highlighted in bold...IMO.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:02 PM   #43
Spidey976
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grphyx1 View Post
XM as a company will be fine. Great quality work will stick around. The collector market will have an implosion.
If people are buying these to resell on the aftermarket, and they are investments then yeah people will be in trouble. It has already started with the price of even Magneto dropping from its peak in the aftermarket. I hate to say it, but that is why I buy the pieces I love, and I am not looking to make money on them. I simply to enjoy great art.
Spidey976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:19 PM   #44
Khufu
Mephisto

Lots of comments about a market implosion, and I tend to agree. The increase of new competitors (XM, etc...) rising costs, bigger/better/more syndrome, etc... Its only natural that some kind of market re-balance will occur. The scary part is the actual financial market could make what would normally be a natural softening of the statue market into a full on cataclysmic implosion which is something none of us want.

I think XM is positioned well due to their high quality and customer service. Additionally, the limits on their regional licensing minimizes their risk against an American market tank (even though we probably contribute to about 20% of their sales - just guesstimating). A small reduction in edition size in what is already a small size shouldn't hurt the bottom line too much. Plus producing a high demand quality product doesn't hurt.

This is all just pure speculation on my part.

Another interesting aspect I see for XM now is the hype has hit its peak and interest/demand are probably as high as possible now. They have so much in the works (think of all the art work, new lines Star Wars, etc...) that I'm concerned they are going to go through their first real growing pains at a time where the market bubble could burst. Even if suggested bubble doesn't occur, they are still going to be challenged to keep up with production, delivery, quality, etc... I'd hate for them to get into the 2-3 years after the sneak of art work then we get finally get a pre-order cycle.

Its definitely going to be an exciting time for XM, but from what I've seen from their pure passion for their work - a labor of love if you will, I think they have a great outlook for the future.

Last edited by Khufu; 02-17-2016 at 11:22 PM. Reason: grammar
Khufu is offline   Reply With Quote