Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 08-17-2007, 01:29 PM   #1
William Paquet
Sculptor
Sculptor

Lead Paint and statues

Having seen the other posts in the closed thread I wanted to offer two cents worth.

I have always been under the assumption that China uses lead based paint due to the rich pigments and the coverage they get. Again this is an assumption based on decades of painting figures with traditional acrylics. Ask anyone that paints statues or kits what a nightmare it is to paint yellow over any other color. Forget it. The paints that we can get are simply weak.

Again, I always assumed that all statue manufacturers used lead paint, but unless you plan on eating your statues, there is no reason to be raising alarm bells. Frankly, it is my opinion that the fears are grossly overstated.

Obviously, this post is only my opinion. I would hate though to see some kind of frantic panic over nothing.

Let me state one last time, that I do not know for a fact that lead paints are used, I simply assume they do because of the pigments. I may be totally misguided. Regardless, these are not toys that children will put in their mouths. Anyone here spend their time eating lead pencils?

Elephant in the room?...I don't think so.

Mountain out of a mole hill?...more likely.
William Paquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
rychehitman
Galactus

very well stated Mr.Paquet
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:37 PM   #3
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

A joke?

I should have realized it was a typical Rychehitman joke based on the utter lack of laughter.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 03:59 PM   #4
ftrez
Nightwing

Must...fight...urge...to...gnaw...statue!

D'oh!
ftrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:22 PM   #5
cma3
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Paquet View Post
Having seen the other posts in the closed thread I wanted to offer two cents worth.

I have always been under the assumption that China uses lead based paint due to the rich pigments and the coverage they get. Again this is an assumption based on decades of painting figures with traditional acrylics. Ask anyone that paints statues or kits what a nightmare it is to paint yellow over any other color. Forget it. The paints that we can get are simply weak.

Again, I always assumed that all statue manufacturers used lead paint, but unless you plan on eating your statues, there is no reason to be raising alarm bells. Frankly, it is my opinion that the fears are grossly overstated.

Obviously, this post is only my opinion. I would hate though to see some kind of frantic panic over nothing.

Let me state one last time, that I do not know for a fact that lead paints are used, I simply assume they do because of the pigments. I may be totally misguided. Regardless, these are not toys that children will put in their mouths. Anyone here spend their time eating lead pencils?

Elephant in the room?...I don't think so.

Mountain out of a mole hill?...more likely.
They do. Mattel just recalled 1 million toys for this reason. Here's a recent article from NYT:

"Lead Paint Prompts Mattel to Recall 967,000 Toys
August 2, 2007, Thursday
By LOUISE STORY (NYT); Business/Financial Desk

Mattel is recalling nearly one million toys in United States due to use of lead paint; all affected products were made in factories in China; more than 300,000 have already been purchased by consumers; this is toymaker's 17th recall in 10 years"
cma3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:26 PM   #6
cma3

here's another entry:

"About 50 percent of the paint sold in China, India and Malaysia had lead levels 30 times higher than U.S. regulations. In contrast in Singapore, which has well-enforced regulations, only 10 percent of paint samples were above U.S. regulations, the highest being six times the U.S. limit."

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/aug2...6-08-24-02.asp
Old 08-17-2007, 04:29 PM   #7
cma3

but back to the parent post...

i get the whole eating your statue thing...but as a sculptor/painter isnt this a concern? Using these paints, assuming that your paints are made in china; and having it seep through your pores should be alarming.
I dont know a thing about this side of the industry, my guess is that the paints that are being used being painters on our side of the pond are not lead based.

Edit: I just saw this post by Randy in another thread:

"We use acrylic paints. No lead.

In general though, you're better off not to chew your statues."

Last edited by cma3; 08-17-2007 at 04:31 PM. Reason: added Randy's quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:44 PM   #8
Car50n
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

magnesium oil paint tastes like peanuts..mmmmm.peeeanuts. me am no eating stattatues.
Car50n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:06 PM   #9
hellspawn77
Sculptor
Sculptor

Somebody please tell William to stop licking his statues!

...specially the ones from 300!

Claudio
hellspawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:50 PM   #10
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Mr. Bowen has weighed in on this subject as well:

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=54226
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote