Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 12-12-2015, 05:23 AM   #1
SUPERCEE
Frackin!

Statues/figure keeping and high temperature country

Hey guys. I've been a long time lurker but haven't really posted here until recently. I'm wondering if anybody has any knowledge or suggestions with this hobby and high temperatures.

I'm living in Australia and temperatures during summer in my city can get up to about 46 degrees Celcius (~115F), and is frequently over 35 degrees Celsius (~95F). I also live on the second floor (hot air rises and all). Obviously when I'm home I have the air conditioning on, but when I'm not I cannot afford to keep the air con running 24/7.

I'm wondering how this will affect my collection - I have both polystone and PVC figures, and I'm espiecially worried about my PVC ones.

Anybody in a similar situation or have experience?
SUPERCEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:46 AM   #2
DrBoris
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

I live in Texas so I can understand the temperature. My collection is upstairs where there can be a 10 degree difference 75 down/85f up. When I am away the AC is set up to save costs. It may seem obvious but i have been keeping them out of direct sun light and shelving on a interior wall.

In the past 1.5 years of my collecting I have only had one PVC Diamond select fem fatales Cinderella started to lean this past summer. Scary thing was she wan in the middle of my collection and if she fell over .... My PVC Darkchylde figure is a similar pose but has the added cape to aid in weight distribution.

Haven't seen any of the poly-stone issues but I have read a few stories like SS Demithyle leaning after a few years.

its funny now but when I look at the $$$ of a statue and future leaning issues I take into account the pose of the statue, and how the weight is distributed.
DrBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:32 PM   #3
dao2
Cyclops

PVC can bend regardless of temperature tbh, especially older figures. Polystone SHOULDN'T lean, however it can also lean regardless of temperature due to poor casting.
dao2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 12:20 AM   #4
built2shred
Phoenix

Statues should handle up to 135 degrees without any problems, as dao2 said the leaning is more of an issue with the engineering of the statue then the heat.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:07 AM   #5
GibsonB
Doh!

I personally could never live with such high weather issues.
GibsonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:55 PM   #6
KiDD
Birdman

I'd like to use the opportunity to ask the opposite question: Does anyone know how cold temps can affect PVC/resin pieces?

While I do not live in an igloo, I often recieve statues during the winter. As am writing this, it's -22 F or -30 C outside. The backs of the trucks aren't heated, so the pieces may as well be exposed to the same type of temperatures.
KiDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:58 PM   #7
dao2
Cyclops

I've seen statue companies due heat testing but never cold testing. While extreme cold is likely not great for anything I don't think it will have any terrible affect on statues?
dao2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:37 PM   #8
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiDD View Post
I'd like to use the opportunity to ask the opposite question: Does anyone know how cold temps can affect PVC/resin pieces?

While I do not live in an igloo, I often recieve statues during the winter. As am writing this, it's -22 F or -30 C outside. The backs of the trucks aren't heated, so the pieces may as well be exposed to the same type of temperatures.
Extreme cold affects the paint and resin mostly in regards to expansion/contraction. Could lead to cracking of either.

To minimize any effect, it's always best to slowly acclimate the statue to 'normal' conditions. That means it's best to leave it in the box for a couple days once it arrives. Styrofoam packaging is a good insulator, but it just delays a temperature change within. That means it's good at slowing down the temperature change process - both ways. Regarding temperature, extreme temperature swings (+/- 20°F) within 24 hours, pose the most risk.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:38 PM   #9
V4XCollect
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERCEE View Post
Hey guys. I've been a long time lurker but haven't really posted here until recently. I'm wondering if anybody has any knowledge or suggestions with this hobby and high temperatures.

I'm living in Australia and temperatures during summer in my city can get up to about 46 degrees Celcius (~115F), and is frequently over 35 degrees Celsius (~95F). I also live on the second floor (hot air rises and all). Obviously when I'm home I have the air conditioning on, but when I'm not I cannot afford to keep the air con running 24/7.

I'm wondering how this will affect my collection - I have both polystone and PVC figures, and I'm espiecially worried about my PVC ones.

Anybody in a similar situation or have experience?
Would recommend at least adding a dehumidifier near your statues.
V4XCollect is offline   Reply With Quote