Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 03-10-2018, 09:25 PM   #1
UnicornPegasus
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Bishoujo Design Issues, Defects, and Damage-Over-Time - Any creative solutions?

So, I had to re-arrange my cabinets for Battle Chun-Li today and came across some issues that have plagued my figures for a while, and really irked me beyond belief today. Some are significant, others are nit-picky, but I wanted to see who else is affected and if there’s any others I should keep an eye out for. Anyone have solutions to some of these?

Sniper Wolf:
Her Sniper rifle is extremely irritating to position and get to stay in place. This one was infuriating me as her rifle fell to the floor 4 times today alone. I checked images online and there is no way for mine to nestle the butt of the rifle behind her leg. It will not stay put because of that, and falls out of her hand.
Her foot is not attached to the ammo box, so she’s in multiple pieces and is annoying to pick up or move.
Her right hand that should be bracing her never actually touches the box. No matter what angle you have her at. To be honest, I wish she was secured to the crate permanently as well.

Sakura:
She is bending horribly, or may have just always been designed horribly. She will not stand up on her own now. She is resting her left foot on the Naomi bust in front of her, and that’s the only thing keeping her upright. I love that they went with a more dynamic pose, but she won’t stay on her peg at all because of it. I think her ankle is what’s bending, or maybe just the torque from being front heavy is making it so that her foot won’t stay on the peg. Either way, I don’t think that the normal hair-dryer heat bending is going to fix this one.

Spider-Gwen:
Is not balanced, keeps trying to fall over backwards. I’m fearful she’ll start bending. (Or maybe she is already and that’s what’s causing the instability.) I’m kind of thinking it’s just the design, and not an actual bend yet. Still not nearly as bad as Sakura though.

Katana:
Her blade keeps falling out of the hilt. Yes, it’s in all the way, but if she’s touched or moved at all, it falls right back out.

Kitty Pryde:
Lockheed is wobbly because of the way he is attached to her arm. I have to keep adjusting him.

Starfire:
Wobbly, base is not level, you pretty much have to remove foot brace/peg to have her sit flat at all, and even then it’s tentative. I don’t understand that design choice at all.

Catwoman:
The damned cats always fall off her. I kind of hate them.

Wonder Woman Original:
Why is the helmet not attached to her base? It’s continuously falling off.

Mystique:
She will NOT stay attached to her base. The pegs on her dress have no chance of ever staying in. It’s also needless large, and super cheap looking.

Are there any other common issues that comes up that I haven’t noticed on my other ones yet? Any creative ways to fix these other than heat bending?
UnicornPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:32 PM   #2
Gothamite
Phoenix

Double-sided tape could help with some things, such as Catwoman's cats. Glue would obviously help with others, but it's not a desirable fix in case you need to re-box the statues.

As for leaning...prolly no fix.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:24 PM   #3
built2shred
Phoenix

Earthquake putty fixes a lot of issues..
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:41 PM   #4
Raven_Roth
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

For Sakura, I've purchased some thin acrylic rods and cut them to the length between Sakura's foot and her base. This keeps her foot supported and prevents any leaning.

Starfire is horribly unbalanced and needs to be placed on a completely level surface. Even still, you don't want to nudge her or she'll likely fall over. I haven't been able to fix that yet, but adding some weight to the back end of her base is probably the way to go. Not sure what the best method would be.

Catwoman and Wonder Woman are basically just going to have to have their accessories reset every time they're moved. I've found a pretty good position for the cats, though.

I'll take pictures of my Sakura, Wonder Woman and Catwoman so you can see what I mean.
Raven_Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:15 AM   #5
mickey
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnicornPegasus View Post

Sakura:
She is bending horribly, or may have just always been designed horribly. She will not stand up on her own now. She is resting her left foot on the Naomi bust in front of her, and that’s the only thing keeping her upright. I love that they went with a more dynamic pose, but she won’t stay on her peg at all because of it. I think her ankle is what’s bending, or maybe just the torque from being front heavy is making it so that her foot won’t stay on the peg. Either way, I don’t think that the normal hair-dryer heat bending is going to fix this one.
I was concerned that this would happen to mine, but she's been on display for like a couple of years now, and I haven't experienced any bending issues or leaning forward issues. Even got the confidence to display her on a higher place now. Hopefully it won't have that issue ever.
mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:31 AM   #6
markuz30
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

one of the reasons sakura is the only sf bishoujo i don't have. Her overall design is just scary (leaning issues). My issue with the other bishoujo's are the gold paint fading getting sticky. and Jean Grey's base getting sticky as well.
markuz30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:32 PM   #7
grphyx1
Kingpin

I have not had any of the issues. Aside from the kitties falling when I have to clean catwoman.
grphyx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:58 AM   #8
French Cancan
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by grphyx1 View Post
when I have to clean catwoman.
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:46 AM   #9
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Cancan View Post
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:57 AM   #10
Tushar
Hellboy

Here's a tutorial you may want to try to fix the leans on your statues. Looks, horrifying, though. Good luck.

https://figureduchess.wordpress.com/...orial-leaning/
Tushar is offline   Reply With Quote