Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 02-09-2017, 09:10 PM   #1
risingstar
Jedi Order

Anyone read Loki (Gillen) and All New All Different Avengers (Waid) ?

Hi Gang,

There's an upcoming Loki omnibus which collects: JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY 622- 645, EXILED 1, NEW MUTANTS 42-43, THE MIGHTY THOR 18-21

And

All-New, All-Different Avengers HC by Waid which collects:
ALL-NEW, ALL-DIFFERENT AVENGERS 1-12; AVENGERS 0 (ALL-NEW, ALL-DIFFERENT STORY); FREE COMIC BOOK DAY 2015 (AVENGERS) 1 (A STORY); MATERIAL FROM FREE COMIC BOOK DAY 2016 (CIVIL WAR II) 1

Are these good reads?

Thanks!

P.S. I see that it's the Miles Morales Spidey. I thought he was an Ultimate universe character.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:31 PM   #2
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I like the majority of Waid's work, but his Avengers stuff was a big miss for me. Dropped it early into his run.

His other current team-based book though (Champions), he's doing great in. Weird...
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:35 PM   #3
risingstar
Jedi Order

I thought the different team might make for a fun read but thanks for the insight. If it's a majorityl slam, I'll cancel the order.

Anyone else read Waid's new Avengers or Gillen's Loki?
Old 02-09-2017, 09:53 PM   #4
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Since you mentioned Waid...never read his Flash run and considering picking up the tpbs. Anyone comment if the run any good? What was the tone of the book? Lighter fare like Daredevil or more serious?
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:13 PM   #5
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInvasion View Post
Since you mentioned Waid...never read his Flash run and considering picking up the tpbs. Anyone comment if the run any good? What was the tone of the book? Lighter fare like Daredevil or more serious?
I enjoyed Waid's run on Flash, the FF, Captain America, and numerous other things like Kingdom Come... He was typically a good read.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:50 PM   #6
Babytoxie
Ghost

I picked up Volume 1 of Gillen's JIM Complete Collection and was thoroughly confused. I liked the selection of artists, but not the story - couldn't even finish it.

As for Mark Waid's Flash: on the whole, it's great, but his earliest stories in the recently-released Volume 1 are just so-so. I consider it lighter fare, but with some excellent nods to DC history (going back to the Golden Age).
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:45 AM   #7
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

The Loki stuff is entirely passable. Just a poorly thought out and executed take in the character.

Waid is a genius who rarely misses. But he did on Hulk and he did on this Avengers book. I tried it through the first few issues and just gave up.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:09 AM   #8
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
The Loki stuff is entirely passable. Just a poorly thought out and executed take in the character.

Waid is a genius who rarely misses. But he did on Hulk and he did on this Avengers book. I tried it through the first few issues and just gave up.
Thanks! You saved me a few bucks. However, I wonder why they would produce an Omnibus of the Loki series.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:53 PM   #9
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
P.S. I see that it's the Miles Morales Spidey. I thought he was an Ultimate universe character.
There is no Ultimate Universe anymore. The 2015 Secret Wars limited series ended the Marvel multiverse and the only survivors from the Ultimate Universe I believe were Miles Morales and Reed Richards (the Maker). When the multiverse got rebooted at the end of the series, Miles and Reed became part of the 616 universe.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:02 PM   #10
whd
Suicide Squad

I really enjoyed the kid Loki JiM stories. It was a fun romp with some bittersweet moments. He was definitely a very different character from the classic Loki.
whd is offline   Reply With Quote