Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 02-24-2005, 06:32 PM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Comics Reviews 2/24/05 Part II

Please go to http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=6743 for Part I.

Here's the rest:

WKTF's Reviews (Continued)

Past trades worth checking out:

Challengers of the Unknown, DC Archives vol. 1 & 2
Written By: Jack Kirby
Drawn By: Jack Kirby

As the story goes (or as Stan Lee tells it) the Fantastic Four were created because his boss played golf with his DC counterpart, was told how well JLA was selling, and came back and told Stan to write a book about a superhero team. Challengers of the Unknown, which premiered in 1958 (a few years before the FF), is a Jack Kirby creation about four adventurers who go up in a craft, have an accident, crash to Earth, conclude they’re all “living on borrowed time” and decide to band together to become a force for good. These characters are Prof (the more intellectual leader), Red (a scrappy hot head), the blond Ace, and a brawler named “Rocky.” They also wear mono-color jump suits with gloves and boots. Hmmm….you tell me what inspired the FF.

These stories are a hoot. The Challengers face strange monsters, mythical and mystical creatures, evil scientists, and aliens from distant planets. These adversaries would be enough to give a Man of Steel or Asgardian Thunder God pause, but these guys with no superpowers at all not only charge right into battle, the public seems to have accepted them as Earth’s champions and seek them out to combat these strange and powerful menaces. I’m a big Kirby fan, no doubt, but have never been as impressed with the King’s writing. Not so in this case. These are well scripted and plotted stories that I devoured eagerly. And a real treat is that Wally Wood inked several stories in the second volume. I always considered Joe Sinnott the perfect Kirby inker, but he now takes a back seat to Wood. The art is stunning, and much better than Kirby’s early Marvel stuff that came years later. Highly recommended!

The Challengers of the Unknown Must Die!
Written By: Jeff Loeb
Drawn By: Tim Sale

The Challengers are on the periphery of the DCU and never really interacted with DC’s mainstay heroes. Darwin Cooke included them in his “New Fronier” series. But this very first Loeb/Sale collaboration puts them squarely in the DCU. There are really great appearances by Superman, Batman, Dr. Fate, and Green Lantern (ah, but which one?).

The Challengers are middle aged now and are considered something of a joke by the world at large. They are heavily merchandised for their sentimental value and now live in a mountain in a town called “Challengerville.” Disaster strikes in a major way, though. They are blamed for an explosion that sends the mountain crashing down on the helpless town, killing hundreds as well as two of their own. A trial ensues and they are forced to disband. Each goes his separate way and undergoes startling transformations. Red shaves his head bald and becomes something of a Rambo like solder. Rocky becomes and alcoholic and is institutionalized. Ace dives into the occult and becomes a “master of the mystic arts.” Yes, there is a great riff on Marvel Comics throughout this series that is wonderful to discover as you read it. From Spider-Man, to Dr. Strange, to Captain America (there’s a fight scene that is a tribute to the one-page multi-panel drubbing Cap gives Batroc in Tales of Suspense # 86).

They all, though, must come together (even those who were killed come back) at the end to battle a silly demonic menace. This final crisis and battle is a bit frivolous and adds nothing to the trade, though I suppose it helps bring it to a close. This book’s real value is in the strong characterization of these wonderful characters, the respectful way they are treated as they are forced apart and, then, come back together, and the real fun Loeb and Sale seem to have in this first of their now long list of collaborations. Recommended!

Sam Wilson’s Reviews:

Seven Soldiers, issue 0, DC Comics
Written By: Grant Morrison
Drawn By: J.H. Williams

“So what is the deal with Seven Soldiers?” I asked my local comic book shop proprietor today. He told me the book out today was one of two bookend books for the series, the second bookend slated for sometime next year. In between these two books there are to be seven limited series based on seven characters, each about four issues long and coming out bimonthly as to leave some room for overlap. He did say he heard it was not necessary to read every part to get the story.

“Hmph” was the first thing that came to mind. I didn’t feel ready to commit to such a series, and after reading the first bookend issue I have to say, I was under whelmed. For such an ambitious comic undertaking one would expect to be completely blown away by the first issue. I won’t lie. I’m not a fan of Grant Morrison. I hate what he did to the X-men. I never read his Vertigo stuff. I will say this though; Seven Soldiers was less convoluted than his X-men work.

This first bookend issue brings together seven sort-of superheroes (but only six show up). A cowboy by the name of Greg Sanders recruits them to get rid of a giant spider in the old west (yes, I really said that). Morrison makes a passing reference to other DC characters, but I think this story is not rooted in any specific DC continuity. Morrison does a good job of making introductions, and Williams can definitely draw a female figure, but does this justify writing 29 more issues over the next year dealing with this new DC pseudo world? I would have to say no. It’s not that I’m a continuity freak, a good story usually makes me forgive writers taking liberties with continuity, but I didn’t think this was a good story. It’s just too much of an undertaking for the mildly curious. Check it out if you’re a Morrison fan, otherwise save your money to buy something else.

Hunter Killer, issue one, Top Cow Comics
Written By: Mark Waid
Drawn By: Mark Silvestri

Hunter Killer is eye candy with a fairly interesting story. Issue zero introduced to us the concept: Super Humans, known as “ultra-sapiens” walk the earth and live like you and I do. Every once in awhile one or more of them goes nanners, and they have to call the Hunter Killers in to, well, to kill them and get rid of the problem.

The HK’s are led by the very curvaceously drawn Samantha Argent, who isn’t afraid to kick ass and say harsh things to get the job done (gotta love the bad girls). She also looks great doing it (forgive me if I’m wrong, but I think that’s intentional). Hunter Killer does have good art, and believe it or not it has a relatively interesting story. Silvestri’s art seems to get cleaner over time (even though I think it can be a little over inked). The First issue sets us up with our protagonists, and even gives us some insight into our antagonists. It’s not great. It didn’t blow me away, but if you got the extra cash I think it’s worth checking out.

Black Widow, issue 6 (of 6), Marvel Comics
Written By: Richard K. Morgan
Drawn By: Bill Sienkiewicz
Covers By: Greg Land

In my mind only one word can describe this series: sexy. Think Peta Wilson from the TV show La Femme Nikita, but tougher and quicker on the trigger. Black Widow takes our hero Natasha Romanova (aka the Black Widow) on a epic adventure through the United States to Russia, and then coming back the US again, leaving a trail of bodies, broken bones, origin tales, and sexy black lingerie.

I’ve never read any of Richard Morgan’s sci fi novels, but I will say he weaves a tight comic story. Black Widow is paced very well, there is always something happening and there is always a reason why it happens. And what can I say about Bill Sienkiewicz other than I can’t pronounce his name? He draws one sexy female super spy. As would be expected, we see Nick Fury and are given insights into his relationship with Natasha. I can’t really reveal to much more, but I would highly recommend picking up this issue, and the previous five. Or if you’d rather wait, the trade paperback is due out in April. This book easily makes my pick of the week. Buy it. Read it. Ogle over it. You won’t regret it.

Sorry gang, gotta break this into one more part. Look for Part III for the rest of Sam Wilson's Reviews.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 06:57 PM   #2
bat_collector
Galactus

While I admit Moorison's Seven Soldiers was not what I was expecting, I did enjoy it nonetheless. Now I really want to read the next few issues.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 07:44 PM   #3
furie
The X-Men

Well done, guys. I love this. Will print out later and read again. Actually a busy day today.
furie is offline   Reply With Quote